• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Why do I see trainers pushing supplements on people fresh off the couch?

Pianomahnn

I bike to work.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
All too often I see the "personal trainers" at my local gym (X-Sport Fitness) leading the hot-of-the-couch trainee through all the supplements they should be buying.

Why? I see absolutely no reason for this. The reason, I'm certain, is because they get a cut of what they sell. That makes me angry.

Please, someone prove to me that I'm ignorant and everyone needs supplements, regardless of their current fitness state or goals. Otherwise, I'm going to throw stuff next time I'm in there.

because they are stupid.

You have to understand, new trainee are recruit in this business, so their knowledge is zero, the trainers recognize these people and makes money on them.

In my country(Israel) it's popular in the famous gyms like holmes place, the trainers gets some percentages from the gym, the main supplements they sell is the Ultimate Nutrition line, like the Prostar whey. (in israel the Prostar whey cost about 70$ for 5lb jar, because of that, trainers sell to the trainee the supplements without any problem(the "sell" them crap things how it's good and etc).

It's just wrong! From a business perspective, I understand the premise of profit margins and the affect supplements can have on that. But selling people into something they, without a doubt, have no need for is wrong, possibly even dangerous.

More and more I feel the need to work a business plan, get investors, and start my own gym. I may not be certified in personal training, or diet & nutrition, but I'm well informed enough to know when gyms are doing things wrong.

Well...at least I've never let a PT talk me into anything. Hell, I've never used a PT let alone the peops on here and my been-lifting-for-decades dad.

Hi,

Well you right that it's wrong, but sometimes money is the first things for people and they have to find the easiest way to do money, and sometimes they make money on the trainee and sometimes they even makes money on their best friends.

In my country the supplement business is not so well, stores sell the supplement in high price (compare to USA the price is double and sometimes x3), some trainers import personally supplement and sell them to their trainee in double price(compare to the price that they bought).

They sell them junk supplements like uneffective fat burners and cheap whey proteins like ultimate nutrition prostar whey. the problem is also that the gym club encourge them to do it because they profit without do anything.

Well probably because the gyms are selling sups there at the gym and they are told to try and ush the sups onto their clients. But yeah total stupidity, theres nothing a guy fresh off the couch needs other than a good solid diet along with some rest and recovery.

money money money!

comission + if it gets them better results this reflects very favourably on the trainer for their training and their recommendation of the supplement.

When I was a member at Bally's, it always frustrated me to see an obvious newbie in a salesperson's office having supplements pushed on them. The trainers there are such used car salesmen. Someone trying to get into shape needs a good workout and diet plan before they should start getting into supplements.

When I was a member at Bally's, it always frustrated me to see an obvious newbie in a salesperson's office having supplements pushed on them. The trainers there are such used car salesmen. Someone trying to get into shape needs a good workout and diet plan before they should start getting into supplements.

this is true. I think a lot of people have become "desensitized" to personal trainers because of this. They think that everytime they walk in the gym, a trainer will try and sell them something. I hate that hard sell bullshit.

Another gripe I have with beginners using supplements is that even if they get halfway decent reults they wont know if it was their hard work that got them there or if it was the supplements. They will never learn what their body is capable of.

Consequently, when they want to try a new program, the won't have the confidence that it will work unless they have a truck load of supplements to assist them.

The fact is, trainers want money and they don't TRULY give a shit about the health of thweir clients. Now this is not everyone, I am sure we still have some honest, caring people on this planet. As the old saying says "Money makes the world go round."

So this wonderful gym I've mentioned a few times has semi-frequent job fairs for trainers (if offered a job, training and "education" are included). I've honestly thought about giving it a shot to see if I actually enjoyed being a PT. Then I think about all the horseshit selling I would have to do. I couldn't. There is no way I could try and sell a guy who is 30 lbs over weight a 5lb jug of protein. *sigh*

So this wonderful gym I've mentioned a few times has semi-frequent job fairs for trainers (if offered a job, training and "education" are included). I've honestly thought about giving it a shot to see if I actually enjoyed being a PT. Then I think about all the horseshit selling I would have to do. I couldn't. There is no way I could try and sell a guy who is 30 lbs over weight a 5lb jug of protein. *sigh*

So just don't sell it to him. :shrug:

The money you make will be lower because you are getting commision off of those supplement sales though.

Isn't it good to take protein even on a cut?

So just don't sell it to him. :shrug:

The money you make will be lower because you are getting commission off of those supplement sales though.
My assumption is that this company has certain...requirements (*wink* *wink*)...for employment. Hell, they even commission goals for the cute little girls working behind the counter.

My assumption is that this company has certain...requirements (*wink* *wink*)...for employment. Hell, they even commission goals for the cute little girls working behind the counter.

big gyms (especially chain gyms) don't give a shit about anything except driving revenue. They will sell anything to anyone to make a buck. It isn't about being genuine or helping people. It is about taking their money. If the general manager of the place tells you otherwise, then you call him a fucking liar right to his face.

this is true. I think a lot of people have become "desensitized" to personal trainers because of this. They think that everytime they walk in the gym, a trainer will try and sell them something. I hate that hard sell bullshit.

I totally agree. When I was young and..well...dumb...I became a trainer at Bally's at about 20 years old. While I was in college at the time getting my degree in Kinesiology...I was hired as a trainer at Bally's. LOL...I was probably one of the more "educated" members on staff..LOL. Anyway...I ended up quiting because I got into training thinking I would be helping people change their body's and lives. Instead...I found myself trying to MEET sales goals each month. Absolutely pathetic. I could not stand the sales part of the job.

That said...I don't think there is anything wrong with recommending Multi's to a "new" member, because I think everyone should be taking them. However...promoting and pushing bottle after bottle of Supps is ridiculous.

I totally agree. When I was young and..well...dumb...I became a trainer at Bally's at about 20 years old. While I was in college at the time getting my degree in Kinesiology...I was hired as a trainer at Bally's. LOL...I was probably one of the more "educated" members on staff..LOL. Anyway...I ended up quiting because I got into training thinking I would be helping people change their body's and lives. Instead...I found myself trying to MEET sales goals each month. Absolutely pathetic. I could not stand the sales part of the job.

That said...I don't think there is anything wrong with recommending Multi's to a "new" member, because I think everyone should be taking them. However...promoting and pushing bottle after bottle of Supps is ridiculous.

exactly. that is why you need to work for yourself. it is a lot easier to develop a program based on your passion and love for what you do. people will see that you have an interest in helping them and you wont ever have to sell anything. they will come to you.

I was thinking about using a shite gym such as my own as a stepping stone to working on my own. My roommate used to use a PT that started off at the same gym, built some clients, then went out on his own. No sales goals other than building and retaining a client list. Something tells me people appreciate that business honesty and ethic much more than being sold shit they don't need.

I was thinking about using a shite gym such as my own as a stepping stone to working on my own. My roommate used to use a PT that started off at the same gym, built some clients, then went out on his own. No sales goals other than building and retaining a client list. Something tells me people appreciate that business honesty and ethic much more than being sold shit they don't need.

you own a gym?

People appreciate value. They appreciate knowing that you are honest and that you can do something for them.

There is no way I could try and sell a guy who is 30 lbs over weight a 5lb jug of protein. *sigh*

if hes going to use it as a meal replacement as part of a healthy eating plan to lose weight - why not?

Oh boo hoo you dont want to sell things? PT is selling yourself, all day, every day.

if hes going to use it as a meal replacement as part of a healthy eating plan to lose weight - why not?

Oh boo hoo you dont want to sell things? PT is selling yourself, all day, every day.

seriously!

I try and get people to use a post workout shake.

I am not into seeing trainers push fat loss supps though...especially to the extremely overweight and deconditioned.

A protein supplement is part of a healthy diet IMO.

That's not even the same thing. Being forced into a situation of selling products to people who don't need them is not the same as selling exercise and fitness guidance to those who do.

Back