• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

does the average person looking to get stronger need speed work?

Stewart14

Weapon of Choice
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
is there a benefit to doing speed work if you are a non competitive lifter and just want to get recreationally stronger and bigger? Does it have a place, or is repetition work better suited to go along with the max effort work?

Good question. I would like to know this as well. We could do a little study of our own?

If your just a weekend warrior not participating in any sports and just looking to improve asthetics why would you do speed work? It'll take away from what you want to achieve

Your training anyways so why not all the types of muscle fibers...I mean it can only make you stronger.. right?

my main reason for asking was because I know a lot of people around here have taken to the westside template to train, but out of those people, how many of them are actually competing powerlifters?

So is it worth it to stick to the template?

Do you want to get stronger? If so, a little speed work would only help. Really and truly, speed work could never hurt.....if you get stronger, you are putting more weight on the bar, which equals more tension and work...meaning more potential for growth.

I don't think it is necessary. Just focus on lifting weights.

It also depends on what exercises you want to do speed work in? Speed work on squats or bench press is stupid as shit IMO because you are going to decelerate before you reach the top of the movement any way. Then it is not speed work any more. Unless you have some bands or chains ofcourse and use accomodating resistance. Or you do plyos or olympic lifts. But, I don't think it is necessary for general populations.

Wheres CP on this one? I have seen a big difference in my bench and squat whenever I do speed work. I am not real sure why, but I respond to it very well.

IML Gear Cream!
Wheres CP on this one? I have seen a big difference in my bench and squat whenever I do speed work. I am not real sure why, but I respond to it very well.

because you are increasing neural firing.

P I assumed this. I do think if you are not a powerlifter per say then you probably dont need it. But for the simple fact it helps me lift more weight, I like to use it.

Back