Cherokees eject slave descendants

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,754
    Rep Points
    815101801

    Post Cherokees eject slave descendants


    Cherokees eject slave descendants
    Members of the Cherokee Nation of native Americans have voted to revoke tribal citizenship for descendants of black slaves the Cherokees once owned.

    A total of 76.6% voted to amend the tribal constitution to limit citizenship to "blood" tribe members.
    Supporters said only the Cherokees had the right to determine tribal members.
    Opponents said the amendment was racist and aimed at preventing those with African-American heritage from gaining tribal revenue and government funding.
    The Cherokee Nation has 250,000 to 270,000 members, second only to the Navajo.
    'Right to vote'
    The list of descendants stems from the Dawes Commission, established by Congress more than 100 years ago.

    This is a sad chapter in Cherokee history
    Taylor Keen,
    tribal council member

    It created two lists - one of "blood" Cherokees and one of black freedmen.
    Principal Chief Chad Smith said about 8,700 people had voted - more than the turnout for the Cherokee constitution vote of four years ago.
    He said: "The Cherokee people exercised the most basic democratic right, the right to vote.
    "Their voice is clear as to who should be citizens of the Cherokee Nation. No-one else has the right to make that determination."
    But opponents of the amendment levelled accusations of discrimination.
    Tribal council member Taylor Keen said: "This is a sad chapter in Cherokee history... this is not my Cherokee Nation. My Cherokee Nation is one that honours all parts of her past."
    Saturday's vote followed a ruling by the Cherokee Nation Supreme Court last year securing tribal citizenship for descendants of freedmen.
    Members can obtain government benefits and tribal services including housing and medical support. Slaves were held by a number of native American tribes and were freed after the Civil War in 1866.

  2. #2
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    Lawl, they don't want them either.
    Fucking Determined!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,754
    Rep Points
    815101801

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Lawl, they don't want them either.
    I wonder if they would do the same to your people......the Cavemen.

  4. #4
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee View Post
    I wonder if they would do the same to your people......the Cavemen.
    Think about the commercials for a second, in then consider how neurotic I am. Lawl, I could play the part to a "T".



    I should try out for the role. I wouldn't even need makeup. I could walk right onto the set as is.
    Fucking Determined!

  5. #5
    primeau
    lnvanry's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    4,276
    Rep Points
    54346477

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Lawl, they don't want them either.
    that was racist and uncalled for....but it still made me laugh

  6. #6
    Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR
    ZECH's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Down by the River
    Posts
    20,185
    Rep Points
    433295487

    Why do the freedmen think they deserve to be part of the nation? The bloodline is not there.................




    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

  7. #7
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    How dare anyone deny them their right to be a member of the Cherokee Nation. Why should genetics, heritage, ethnicity, and social identity be used as determining factors in something as important as being a Native American.

    So if i marry a black woman do I get scholarship money from the United Negro College fund? A causal relationship would clearly be defined by law. If I marry a black female descendant of the slaves owned by the Cherokee Nation then I clearly demonstrate my right to my portion of that money. Now
    i just need to narrow my selections on eHarmony to native American black woman. Hey I got rights



    P.S.
    My first post running Ubuntu.

  8. #8
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    How dare anyone deny them their right to be a member of the Cherokee Nation. Why should genetics, heritage, ethnicity, and social identity be used as determining factors in something as important as being a Native American.

    So if i marry a black woman do I get scholarship money from the United Negro College fund? A causal relationship would clearly be defined by law. If I marry a black female descendant of the slaves owned by the Cherokee Nation then I clearly demonstrate my right to my portion of that money. Now
    i just need to narrow my selections on eHarmony to native American black woman. Hey I got rights



    P.S.
    My first post running Ubuntu.


    Did you install it, or are you running from CD ROM?
    Fucking Determined!

  9. #9
    Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER
    The Monkey Man's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    14,421
    Rep Points
    14936998

    I think its time to see a statistical chart that
    shows which race draws the highest welfare dollars

    Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!



  10. #10
    Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR
    ZECH's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Down by the River
    Posts
    20,185
    Rep Points
    433295487

    Hint, it's not the Cherokee. Here in NC, they share the profits from Harrahs!




    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

  11. #11
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey Man View Post
    I think its time to see a statistical chart that
    shows which race draws the highest welfare dollars
    My guess is white Americans in the US. As of 2005, whites made up 74% of the population, so I would assume by sher numbers, that whites would draw the most amount.
    Fucking Determined!

  12. #12
    Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER
    The Monkey Man's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    14,421
    Rep Points
    14936998

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    My guess is white Americans in the US. As of 2005, whites made up 74% of the population, so I would assume by sher numbers, that whites would draw the most amount.
    That was my guess too,
    but I still want to see the chart and references -

    Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!



  13. #13
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Did you install it, or are you running from CD ROM?
    Installed it a few days ago ... but I don't wanna whore up dg's thread. Sorry dg ... ... no more linux chatter

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,754
    Rep Points
    815101801

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    Installed it a few days ago ... but I don't wanna whore up dg's thread. Sorry dg ... ... no more linux chatter
    How did you know?

  15. #15
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Actually I'm a tired dumbass that didn't read the fine print ... and thought it was dg's thread. Now that I know it's only your thread min0 ... I'll proceed to whore away

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,754
    Rep Points
    815101801

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    Actually I'm a tired dumbass that didn't read the fine print ... and thought it was dg's thread. Now that I know it's only your thread min0 ... I'll proceed to whore away
    Your always welcome to whore away.

  17. #17
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    27,187
    Rep Points
    989810505

    I wonder if the Black ancestors from my mothers side were slaves owned by Cherokee? Not only would I be connected to the Nation twice through my fathers side, but once through hers!

    I don't think it's very Cherokee of them to do something like this, like Taylor Keen said the Nation should honor all parts of it's past. It was bad enough that the Nation had had slaves in the past, but now they want to make bad again and dishonor those genetically connected to that past...

    Furthermore they expect The United States Gov. to honor their past and what happened to them, yet they can turn around and do the same to their own citizens, even if not connected by blood, these slaves were part of their history...and have been seen as citizens up until now, now they suddenly want them shunned.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  18. #18
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee View Post
    Your always welcome to whore away.
    Hey I needed the money ...

  19. #19
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    I wonder if the Black ancestors from my mothers side were slaves owned by Cherokee? Not only would I be connected to the Nation twice through my fathers side, but once through hers!

    I don't think it's very Cherokee of them to do something like this, like Taylor Keen said the Nation should honor all parts of it's past. It was bad enough that the Nation had had slaves in the past, but now they want to make bad again and dishonor those genetically connected to that past...

    Furthermore they expect The United States Gov. to honor their past and what happened to them, yet they can turn around and do the same to their own citizens, even if not connected by blood, these slaves were part of their history...and have been seen as citizens up until now, now they suddenly want them shunned.
    You assume the close as you write this post though Manic. There are a lot of poser wannabe types that wish they had claim to be Native Americans, and the various Indian Nations have been tolerant but enough is enough. When the prior property starts to claim a genetic link it's getting outta hand and needs to end.

  20. #20
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    27,187
    Rep Points
    989810505

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    You assume the close as you write this post though Manic. There are a lot of poser wannabe types that wish they had claim to be Native Americans, and the various Indian Nations have been tolerant but enough is enough. When the prior property starts to claim a genetic link it's getting outta hand and needs to end.
    "assume the close"?

    From what I get in the article their already are those in the Cherokee Nation who's ancestors were once part of the Nation in that they were slaves of the Cherokee. No one is posing as a Cherokee, they are just being decendants of slaves of the Cherokee. They aren't claiming to be Cherokee by birth or through a blood bond, they are just claiming to have been part of the Cherokee nation through the ancestor who were living with the Cherokee and who were part of the Cherokee Nation. This is much like the whiteman saying that black slaves weren't Americans.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  21. #21
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    1 ..."assume the close"?

    From what I get in the article their already are those in the Cherokee Nation who's ancestors were once part of the Nation in that they were slaves of the Cherokee. No one is posing as a Cherokee, they are just being decendants of slaves of the Cherokee. 2 ... They aren't claiming to be Cherokee by birth or through a blood bond, they are just claiming to have been part of the Cherokee nation through the ancestor who were living with the Cherokee and who were part of the Cherokee Nation. 3 ... This is much like the whiteman saying that black slaves weren't Americans.
    1 ... When you go into a sale and treat the potential customer as though the sale is already made.

    2 ... They are trying to establish a legal claim by birth to Cherokee assets. Having been owned by Cherokees doesn't make them Cherokees ... even after breeding. They may share SOME genetic material from over a century ago. That isn't enough IMHO. There are many light skinned black Americans with caucasian blood, but none claim to be white.

    3 ... There are no immigration inroads to the Cherokee Nation. The US is wide open.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
  3. LeBron James is a runaway slave!
    By min0 lee in forum Sports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
  4. Is it just me, or is Bill O'Reilly a slave
    By TJ Cline in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->