• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

can u lose weight by smoking marijuana?

IML Gear Cream!
When you think about it weed smoking is a very natural process....all types of cultures have smoked plants for ritual/bonding type purposes. I would understand being against it if I felt it hindered cardiovascular efficiency but I don't....at least in reasonable amounts.

Nate, no worries man. I smoke once and awhile instead of drinking. I know I would rather smoke a few puffs on some buds than drink 600 empty cals of beer and not to mention save my liver.

Nate, no worries man. I smoke once and awhile instead of drinking. I know I would rather smoke a few puffs on some buds than drink 600 empty cals of beer and not to mention save my liver.

:yes: And hangovers and whatnot.

Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women.

Block RI, Farinpour R, Schlechte JA.

Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242.

To investigate possible effects of chronic marijuana use on reproductive and stress hormones, we assayed testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin, and cortisol in 93 men and 56 women with a mean (+/- S.E.) age of 23.5 +/- 0.4 years. Hormone values were compared among groups of subjects stratified according to frequency of marijuana use (frequent, moderate and infrequent; N = 27, 18, and 30, respectively) and non-using controls (N = 74). Chronic marijuana use showed no significant effect on hormone concentrations in either men or women.

Serum testosterone concentrations in cannabis and opiate users

[Article in German]

Friedrich G, Nepita W, Andre T.

Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitat Freiburg.

The object of this study was to establish possible influences of long-term cannabis usage on plasma testosterone levels. The plasma testosterone levels of 66 male Pakistani who for years had smoked cannabis daily or drank cannabis regularly where measured after chronic and acute intake of the drug and compared with a material of 41 normal controls, i.e. persons who did not use cannabis. An evaluation of the results showed that there were no significant differences between the two groups. No influence of long-term cannabis usage on plasma testosterone levels was found. Furthermore we wished to find out wether long-term heroin abuse showed an effect on plasma testosterone levels. The concentrations of testosterone in the plasma of 102 heroin addicts assigned to a Methadone Program were measured and compared with the values of 29 male healthy students as controls. Plasma testosterone levels were found to be significantly decreased in heroin addicts as compared to controls.

(1) NO BRAIN DAMAGE SEEN IN MARIJUANA-EXPOSED MONKEYS

Two new scientific studies have failed to find evidence

of brain damage in monkeys exposed to marijuana, undercutting

claims that marijuana causes brain damage in humans.

The studies were conducted by two independent

research groups. The first, conducted by Dr. William Slikker,

Jr. and others at the National Center for Toxicological Research

in Arkansas examined some 64 rhesus monkeys, half of which

were exposed to daily or weekly doses of marijuana smoke for

a year. The other, by Gordon T. Pryor and Charles Rebert at SRI

International in Menlo Park, California, which is still

unpublished, looked at over 30 rhesus monkeys that had inhaled

marijuana one to three times a day over periods of 6 to 12

months. Neither study found evidence of structural or

neurochemical changes in the brains of the monkeys when

examined a few months after cessation of smoking.

The new results cast doubt on earlier studies

purporting to show brain damage in animals. The most famous

of these was a study by Dr. Robert Heath, who claimed to find

brain damage in three monkeys heavily exposed to cannabis.

Heath's results failed to win general acceptance in the

scientific community because of the small number of subjects,

questionable controls, and heavy doses.

Subsequent rat experiments by Dr. Slikker and others

reported persistent structural changes in the brain cells of

rats chronically exposed to THC. The studies did not show that

pot kills brain cells, as alleged by some pot critics, but they

did show degeneration of the nerve connections between brain

cells in the hippocampus, where THC is known to be active.

Although scientists have regarded the animal evidence

as inconclusive, some critics have cited it as proof that pot

causes brain damage in humans. Thus Andrew Mecca, the

director of California Department of Alcohol and Drug Abuse,

recently stated on the Ron Reagan, Jr. talk show (Sep. 2, 1991)

that marijuana "leaves a black protein substance in the

synaptic cleft" of brain cells, a claim apparently based on

Heath's monkeys. When asked by a NORML member for his

evidence, Mecca sent a list of three references, none of which

turned out to have anything to do with brain damage.

Although the new monkey studies found no physical

brain damage, they did observe behavioral changes from

.00marijuana. Slikker's group found that monkeys exposed once a

day to the human equivalent of four or five joints showed

persistent effects throughout the day. Slikker says that the

effects faded gradually after they were taken off marijuana,

and were not detectable seven months later, when they were

sacrificed. Autopsies did reveal lingering chemical changes in

the immune cells in the lungs of monkeys that had inhaled THC.

However, Slikker's group concluded that experimental exposure

to marijuana smoke "does not compromise the general health of

the rhesus monkey."

References:

William Slikker, Jr. et al, "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus

Monkey," Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 17: 321-32 (1991)

Guy Cabral et al, "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Alters Alveolar Macrophage

Morphology and Protein Expression, Pharmacology Biochemistry and

Behavior 40: 643-9 (1991)

Merle Paule et al., "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus Monkey

II: Effects on Progressive Ratio and Conditioned Position

Responding," Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics

260: 210-22 (1992)

(2) POT FOUND NOT TO CAUSE FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME

A new study of children born to marijuana-smoking

mothers found no link between marijuana exposure and the

birth defects of fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). The new study,

by Dr. Susan J. Astley of the University of Washington,

published in the January, 1992 issue of Pediatrics,

contradicted a 1982 study by Dr. Ralph Hingson, in which

prenatal exposure to marijuana was found to increase the risk

of FAS.

Hingson's results, which have not been replicated, have

been questioned on various methodological grounds, in

particular the difficulty of controlling for combined drinking

and pot use.

The new study looked for facial deformities

symptomatic of FAS in 40 children whose mothers had smoked

marijuana heavily during pregnancy and 40 controls, It found no

association between marijuana and FAS, but deformities were

observed in children of women who drank 2 ounces of alcohol

per day or took cocaine.

(3) NEW STUDY FINDS POT DOESN'T LOWER TESTOSTERONE

A new study by Dr. Robert Block at the University of

Iowa disputes the commonly held notion that marijuana alters

the level of testosterone and other sex hormones.

The study contradicted a widely publicized 1974 study

by Dr. R.C. Kolodony, which reported decreased testosterone

levels in men who smoked marijuana chronically.

The U. of Iowa study found that chronic marijuana use

had no effect on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle

stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men or women.

Noting that six other studies had failed to show

lowered testosterone levels in men, Dr. Block concluded: "It

appears that marijuana, even heavy use of the kind that's

typical in the United States, doesn't alter testosterone levels."

However, he cautioned that heavy use might have other

adverse effects, including "possible effects on reproductive

function and mild, selective cognitive impairments associated

with heavy, chronic use."

there has been alot or reasearch that marijuana use increases the chances of depresion and skitzophrenea later in life also that it affects long term memory if used regulaly.

also not many studies have been done on the asociation between alsimers and marijuana use but there is thought that there is a high likleyhood between a cause and effect relationship, meaning that if you smoke you will get it.

i still smoke though.

look it up its interesting.

Even Gandolf smokes.. it must be safe.

smoke-weed-dude-023.jpg

The first one I cant read but it mighht say that smoke can potentially cause cardiorepiratory problems.

The 2nd one doesn't say anything.

The 3rd one I cant read but it might say that older unhealthy people might get nervous if they smoke pot and cause a heart problem.

The fourth one is about rats and thermoregulation. i bet they give the rats a ridiculous amount of THC and whatnot.

The fifth one is about cAMP and im not sure if it comes to any conclusions. Or is even done on people

The sixth one is an abstract that maybe really broad statements...you can take what you want from it I guess.

1. Chemical content, assay procedures, and pharmacokinetics of cannabis sativa are discussed briefly.

2. Cannabinoid cellular effects relating to chromosomes and immunity including cellular metabolism and allergic reactions are presented.

3. Gross and microscopic brain pathology due to cannabis use is reviewed involving EEG alterations, psychopathology including aggressive behaviour as well as properties of psychomotor impairment, tolerance and dependence.

4. Cardiopulmonary effects of marihuana are recorded under pulmonary pharmacological effects including the macrophage defense system and effects of smoke constituents; under cardiovascular effects cardiac toxicity and possible mechanism of action are discussed.

5. Alterations of reproductive hormonal production and maturation of reproductive cells by marihuana in males and females with attendant impairment of reproductive function or fertility including reproductive outcome are reported.

The seventh one is about mice and they might give huge amounts of the drug and its about prenatal development and whatnot.

The eighth one "Marihuana usage does not affect human male testosterone levels significantly," but does adversely affect sperm production.

THis is fine with me....Most don't about sperm production. If you do you stop smoking

The last one is about pregnet and lactating mice.

Nate .. no matter how you look at it, smoking Marijuana is bad for you. Whether you do it on occasion or use it regularly it's bad for you. Please find a few studies saying that it is HEALTHY thing to use.

You'll find a lot of people on these boards are quite similar to you int he fact that instead of drinking they'll occasionally take a hoot. I'm Guilty of it. But that doesn't mean its a healthy action or mindset! Yes were on the lower percentile or risk of being afflicted by the healthy hazards of this drug with infrequent use, but were still there, were still at risk, the risk will always be there.

To argue marijuana is healthy and perfectly safe for you either physiologically or Psychologically isn't a logical argument.

There's nothing quite as amusing as watching people try to justify using marijuana (especially smoking it).

It's a substance that causes your body to malfunction, but that's a good thing... :spaz:

There's nothing quite as amusing as watching people try to justify using marijuana (especially smoking it).

It's a substance that causes your body to malfunction, but that's a good thing... :spaz:
No kidding! :loser:

Although I agree weed is bad for you, there are certain degrees of damage. This isn't a black and white question. I think this guy successfully dismissed Jodi's claim that weed lowers testosterone and I think he's done a great job in backing his statements up.

It's not about whether weed is bad for you, it's about how bad it is.

Although I agree weed is bad for you, there are certain degrees of damage. This isn't a black and white question. I think this guy successfully dismissed Jodi's claim that weed lowers testosterone and I think he's done a great job in backing his statements up.

THanks.

Yeah, Nate has done a decent job, but so has Jodi.

You're also correct in that it comes down to degrees, but you're simply overlooking the fact that marijuana is an exogenous substance that causes the human body to malfunction? Especially when the ways that it causes the body to malfunction is still not clearly understood?

It's moronic to defend such activity or substance.

Top 10 Pot Studies Government Wished it Had Never Funded
September 2nd, 2006

9) HEAVY MARIJUANA USE AS A YOUNG ADULT WON?T RUIN YOUR LIFE: Veterans Affairs scientists looked at whether heavy marijuana use as a young adult caused long-term problems later, studying identical twins in which one twin had been a heavy marijuana user for a year or longer but had stopped at least one month before the study, while the second twin had used marijuana no more than five times ever. Marijuana use had no significant impact on physical or mental health care utilization, health-related quality of life, or current socio-demographic characteristics. Eisen SE et al. Does Marijuana Use Have Residual Adverse Effects on Self-Reported Health Measures, Socio-Demographics or Quality of Life? A Monozygotic Co-Twin Control Study in Men. Addiction. Vol. 97 No. 9. p.1083-1086. Sept. 1997

FreeThePlant
(hooked up by ElDad)

10) MARIJUANA USE HAS NO EFFECT ON MORTALITY: A massive study of California HMO members funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found marijuana use caused no significant increase in mortality. Tobacco use was associated with increased risk of death. Sidney, S et al. Marijuana Use and Mortality. American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 87 No. 4, April 1997. p. 585-590. Sept. 2002.

9) HEAVY MARIJUANA USE AS A YOUNG ADULT WON?T RUIN YOUR LIFE: Veterans Affairs scientists looked at whether heavy marijuana use as a young adult caused long-term problems later, studying identical twins in which one twin had been a heavy marijuana user for a year or longer but had stopped at least one month before the study, while the second twin had used marijuana no more than five times ever. Marijuana use had no significant impact on physical or mental health care utilization, health-related quality of life, or current socio-demographic characteristics. Eisen SE et al. Does Marijuana Use Have Residual Adverse Effects on Self-Reported Health Measures, Socio-Demographics or Quality of Life? A Monozygotic Co-Twin Control Study in Men. Addiction. Vol. 97 No. 9. p.1083-1086. Sept. 1997

8) THE ?GATEWAY EFFECT? MAY BE A MIRAGE: Marijuana is often called a ?gateway drug? by supporters of prohibition, who point to statistical ?associations? indicating that persons who use marijuana are more likely to eventually try hard drugs than those who never use marijuana ? implying that marijuana use somehow causes hard drug use. But a model developed by RAND Corp. researcher Andrew Morral demonstrates that these associations can be explained ?without requiring a gateway effect.? More likely, this federally funded study suggests, some people simply have an underlying propensity to try drugs, and start with what?s most readily available. Morral AR, McCaffrey D and Paddock S. Reassessing the Marijuana Gateway Effect. Addiction. December 2002. p. 1493-1504.

7) PROHIBITION DOESN?T WORK (PART I): The White House had the National Research Council examine the data being gathered about drug use and the effects of U.S. drug policies. NRC concluded, ?the nation possesses little information about the effectiveness of current drug policy, especially of drug law enforcement.? And what data exist show ?little apparent relationship between severity of sanctions prescribed for drug use and prevalence or frequency of use.? In other words, there is no proof that prohibition ? the cornerstone of U.S. drug policy for a century ? reduces drug use. National Research Council. Informing America?s Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don?t Know Keeps Hurting Us. National Academy Press, 2001. p. 193.

6) PROHIBITION DOESN?T WORK (PART II: DOES PROHIBITION CAUSE THE ?GATEWAY EFFECT??): U.S. and Dutch researchers, supported in part by NIDA, compared marijuana users in San Francisco, where non-medical use remains illegal, to Amsterdam, where adults may possess and purchase small amounts of marijuana from regulated businesses. Looking at such parameters as frequency and quantity of use and age at onset of use, they found no differences except one: Lifetime use of hard drugs was significantly lower in Amsterdam, with its ?tolerant? marijuana policies. For example, lifetime crack cocaine use was 4.5 times higher in San Francisco than Amsterdam. Reinarman, C, Cohen, PDA, and Kaal, HL. The Limited Relevance of Drug Policy: Cannabis in Amsterdam and San Francisco. American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 94, No. 5. May 2004. p. 836-842.

5) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART I): Federal researchers implanted several types of cancer, including leukemia and lung cancers, in mice, then treated them with cannabinoids (unique, active components found in marijuana). THC and other cannabinoids shrank tumors and increased the mice?s lifespans. Munson, AE et al. Antineoplastic Activity of Cannabinoids. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Sept. 1975. p. 597-602.

4) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER, (PART II): In a 1994 study the government tried to suppress, federal researchers gave mice and rats massive doses of THC, looking for cancers or other signs of toxicity. The rodents given THC lived longer and had fewer cancers, ?in a dose-dependent manner? (i.e. the more THC they got, the fewer tumors). NTP Technical Report On The Toxicology And Carcinogenesis Studies Of 1-Trans- Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, CAS No. 1972-08-3, In F344/N Rats And B6C3F Mice, Gavage Studies. See also, ?Medical Marijuana: Unpublished Federal Study Found THC-Treated Rats Lived Longer, Had Less Cancer,? AIDS Treatment News no. 263, Jan. 17, 1997.

3) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART III): Researchers at the Kaiser-Permanente HMO, funded by NIDA, followed 65,000 patients for nearly a decade, comparing cancer rates among non-smokers, tobacco smokers, and marijuana smokers. Tobacco smokers had massively higher rates of lung cancer and other cancers. Marijuana smokers who didn?t also use tobacco had no increase in risk of tobacco-related cancers or of cancer risk overall. In fact their rates of lung and most other cancers were slightly lower than non-smokers, though the difference did not reach statistical significance. Sidney, S. et al. Marijuana Use and Cancer Incidence (California, United States). Cancer Causes and Control. Vol. 8. Sept. 1997, p. 722-728.

2) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART IV): Donald Tashkin, a UCLA researcher whose work is funded by NIDA, did a case-control study comparing 1,200 patients with lung, head and neck cancers to a matched group with no cancer. Even the heaviest marijuana smokers had no increased risk of cancer, and had somewhat lower cancer risk than non-smokers (tobacco smokers had a 20-fold increased lung cancer risk). Tashkin D. Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer: Results of a Case-Control Study. American Thoracic Society International Conference. May 23, 2006.

1) MARIJUANA DOES HAVE MEDICAL VALUE: In response to passage of California?s medical marijuana law, the White House had the Institute of Medicine (IOM) review the data on marijuana?s medical benefits and risks. The IOM concluded, ?Nausea, appetite loss, pain and anxiety are all afflictions of wasting, and all can be mitigated by marijuana.? While noting potential risks of smoking, the report added, ?we acknowledge that there is no clear alternative for people suffering from chronic conditions that might be relieved by smoking marijuana, such as pain or AIDS wasting.? The government?s refusal to acknowledge this finding caused co-author John A. Benson to tell the New York Times that the government ?loves to ignore our report ? they would rather it never happened.? Joy, JE, Watson, SJ, and Benson, JA. Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. National Academy Press. 1999. p. 159. See also, Harris, G. FDA Dismisses Medical Benefit From Marijuana. New York Times. Apr. 21, 2006

It's moronic to defend such activity or substance.

It is not moronic to defend the safety of marijuan over other drugs.

Back