Somebody Lend a Hand with This?

Rep Points

Somebody Lend a Hand with This?

Ive been lifting for about 8 months now, and it was only about 3 months ago i started looking at sites like this, so im still very much a beginner. Ive been recommended Bill Starrs workout. My gym only has Dumbells, they only go to 40 Lbs. So im looking for a workout that involves Dumbells only and bodyweight and within the rep/set range of 5-8 Reps to 4-6 Sets.

I was looking for a strength building program and something for aesthetics and was told 3-5 is for Max Strength and 8-12 is for hypertrophy, so i thought something in between would suit me fine.

Now the problem. I suck at designing programs. I tried putting one together in maths today and im sure it has loads of Flaws. please if you had the time, could you point em out to me and suggest how to fix em?

Monday

Dumbbell Squat
    Dumbbell Bench
    Shrugs
    Pullups
    Bi-curls
    Skullcrunchers

Tuesday

Forearm Curls and Twists
    Abs

Wednesday

Dumbbell Deadlift
    Military Press
    Shrugs
    Dumbbell Flys
    Bicurls
    Skullcrunchers

Thursday

Forearms
    Abs

Friday

Dumbbell Squat
    Dumbbell Bench
    Shrugs
    Pullups
    Bi-curls
    Skullcrunchers

Saturday

Forearms
    Abs

Sundays

OFF

Cheers for reading guys and any comments. Honestly though, anything at all would be great, i suck at making routines.

On a journey.......
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK let me get this straight. Your gym has no machines, no barbells and the dumbells only go up to 40lbs???? I hate to break it to you, but I do not think that qualifies as a gym. Are you sure it is not a Yoga school???? Does it have an Ab Blaster or a thigh master????

As far as your program, look at the stickies above for some good ideas to prepare a program. If your goal is strength, then you will be disappointed with the equipment you have available at your "gym". Deadlifts and squats will be a common exercise in strength programs and I cannot see 80lbs (2 40 lb DBs) getting you any significant strenth gains.

Quote Originally Posted by UnholyMemory View Post
    Ive been lifting for about 8 months now, and it was only about 3 months ago i started looking at sites like this, so im still very much a beginner. Ive been recommended Bill Starrs workout. My gym only has Dumbells, they only go to 40 Lbs. So im looking for a workout that involves Dumbells only and bodyweight and within the rep/set range of 5-8 Reps to 4-6 Sets.

I was looking for a strength building program and something for aesthetics and was told 3-5 is for Max Strength and 8-12 is for hypertrophy, so i thought something in between would suit me fine.

Now the problem. I suck at designing programs. I tried putting one together in maths today and im sure it has loads of Flaws. please if you had the time, could you point em out to me and suggest how to fix em?

Monday

Dumbbell Squat
    Dumbbell Bench
    Shrugs
    Pullups
    Bi-curls
    Skullcrunchers

Tuesday

Forearm Curls and Twists
    Abs

Wednesday

Dumbbell Deadlift
    Military Press
    Shrugs
    Dumbbell Flys
    Bicurls
    Skullcrunchers

Thursday

Forearms
    Abs

Friday

Dumbbell Squat
    Dumbbell Bench
    Shrugs
    Pullups
    Bi-curls
    Skullcrunchers

Saturday

Forearms
    Abs

Sundays

OFF

Cheers for reading guys and any comments. Honestly though, anything at all would be great, i suck at making routines.
    If you always have a great day, you will always have a great life.

"The gym offers force and pain and relief. It provides challenge and struggle and satisfaction." Dave Draper

Rep Points

Well it does have machines, i was just told not to use them and stick to free weights.

On a journey.......
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well it does have machines, i was just told not to use them and stick to free weights.
    Free weights are prefered. However, you should be stressing your muscles with the appropriate amount of resistance. And 40lb DBs will not cut it for most of your exercises. If the machines have sufficient wts, then use those for now. I would suggest you seriously consider looking for another gym or see if your current gym will acquire more free wts.
    If you always have a great day, you will always have a great life.

"The gym offers force and pain and relief. It provides challenge and struggle and satisfaction." Dave Draper

Rep Points

Righty Oh, for now ill stick to as many compound lifts as i can (i can still do dumbbell benching, ive not been doing it for long so im still fairly weak). But ill make up for Bodyparts i missed with the machines.

Im acually considering moving to another gym with more free weights, Dumbbells Barbells and a smith machine (so i can do squats), the only problem is that my friend i go to the gym with also goes to the one im currently at and doesnt want to change, and hes my best mate so im trying to avoid confrontation.

One more question. If i do go on with this program, would it be ok to do light bodywieght work on Abs day? like pushups and handstand stuff?

Rep Points

You have 3 days a week devoted to forearms and abs?

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Never ever use the smith machine to squat. Use a squat rack.

Smartass anthropologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    I agree with this. It just dose'nt feel right on the smith machine, horizontal motion is reduced and it feels unatural and possibly injury inflicting.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPearson View Post
    You have 3 days a week devoted to forearms and abs?
    I wa hoping to use this day for light bodywieght work and cardio as well.

It doesnt have a squat rack, or anyway to get the barbell behind your neck, and its just to awkward to squat ay other way. The barbells either on the floor, or you can use a Smith Machine. I could always do partials and reduce the risk.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I wa hoping to use this day for light bodywieght work and cardio as well.

It doesnt have a squat rack, or anyway to get the barbell behind your neck, and its just to awkward to squat ay other way. The barbells either on the floor, or you can use a Smith Machine. I could always do partials and reduce the risk.
    do single leg work then....lunges, split squats, bulgarian squats, step ups, etc..
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Time and time again, I have always recommended to others that they look into the super squat routine by randall strossen. It can be done twice a week, is really brutal if done correctly, and quite honestly, you might consider investing in barbell equipement. It's a better investment than any dumbbell for a beginner. Also, diet needs to be posted in order to see what's going on there.
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Do what P said or hack squats, dumbell squats or even better (if you can) clean the weight up and do front squats.

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Do what P said or hack squats, dumbell squats or even better (if you can) clean the weight up and do front squats.
    can squat off the bench too.
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

juggernaut; even the gym im switching to doesnt even have a bench! the more i talk about it the worse it seems i know. i think i might just get a bench myself and got a home gym of two dumbells and a barbell.

p-funk; I never thought of that thanks! I could probably do dumbell squats as well.

I suppose ill just take a look at the stickies, jot down the gym equipment availible and make a program on those.

Cheers guys, ill post my workout afterwards, just to see if its alright.