25% Off Black Friday Sale

What are your "shock" routines?

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What are your "shock" routines?

Since I am doing P/RR/S, it seems for the Shock week, I can do some crazy shit, but I want to hear some more ideas other than gopro's.

I want to hear everyone's little ideas to jump start some growth or strength. Whether it be from what you read, perform, or instruct to clients, lets hear it.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to do a hamstring dominant day. I was going to incooporate some Singe Legged RDLs, but other than that *new* exercise selection, I need some more hamstring shockers. Ive done supersets of single legged hamstring curls, followed immediately by deads. Ive done drop sets of hamstrings curls. Other than that I am all ears.

Of course, I want to hear upper body shit too. Tomorrow is my 1st day of my second cycle of p/rr/s, so any ideas are appreciated since I workout 4 times this week.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

On a journey.......
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have incorporated some sets with X-reps in shock week. Example is squats - I go all the way down, rise about half way up, go back down and then a full ROM rep. So you in effect do 1-1/2 reps - stopping so there is no bounce at the bottom. I use this technique for curls, OH DB press, BB bench press, etc. It is a variation of 21's that I used in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Since I am doing P/RR/S, it seems for the Shock week, I can do some crazy shit, but I want to hear some more ideas other than gopro's.

I want to hear everyone's little ideas to jump start some growth or strength. Whether it be from what you read, perform, or instruct to clients, lets hear it.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to do a hamstring dominant day. I was going to incooporate some Singe Legged RDLs, but other than that *new* exercise selection, I need some more hamstring shockers. Ive done supersets of single legged hamstring curls, followed immediately by deads. Ive done drop sets of hamstrings curls. Other than that I am all ears.

Of course, I want to hear upper body shit too. Tomorrow is my 1st day of my second cycle of p/rr/s, so any ideas are appreciated since I workout 4 times this week.
    If you always have a great day, you will always have a great life.

"The gym offers force and pain and relief. It provides challenge and struggle and satisfaction." Dave Draper

Rep Points

I like to do supersets, during shock week. I like to work on machines and i will pick two machines that work the same group of muscles and go back and forth (thats usually for compound lifts). for lifts that isolate muscles, I will do x-reps or for lifts usuing dumbells, I start at a weight and by the time I'm done I will be doing a much lighter weight (burn out).
    Knowledge is Power

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Ive never done PRRS, but how about Glute Ham Raises/Hypers with an incredibly slow negative?
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by forum9351 View Post
    I like to do supersets, during shock week. I like to work on machines and i will pick two machines that work the same group of muscles and go back and forth (thats usually for compound lifts). for lifts that isolate muscles, I will do x-reps or for lifts usuing dumbells, I start at a weight and by the time I'm done I will be doing a much lighter weight (burn out).
    Supersets...are you using 2 machines that involve the same movements as well? E.g. Two machines that are called "chest press" but since both are from different manufacturers, their angles or grips are different..? Or are you talking a chest press machine, followed by a pec deck?

X-reps...these are the only things I havent used. I dont think I should do them for deads, but a sumo squat or a ham string curl?

Dropsets...thats what youre talking about with the DB curls yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazhole View Post
    Ive never done PRRS, but how about Glute Ham Raises/Hypers with an incredibly slow negative?
    Its not a bad idea, but during the Power week, the tempo instructs you to do a 4 second negative. Thats pretty hard as it is. To tell you the truth, Ive never agreed with it.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Pull-throughs, you should try them. Great for hams/glutes/lower back. Chances are you haven't tried them. Maybe super set those with RDL's or leg curls?
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Pull-throughs, you should try them. Great for hams/glutes/lower back. Chances are you haven't tried them. Maybe super set those with RDL's or leg curls?
    I thought those were more anterior deltoid? Its a cable exercise yes?

You stand facing away from the pulley. The pulley is at your feet with a rope attached. You squat down to grab the rope and basically pull through between your legs to the end position which is you standing upright, with your arms extended in front of you?

Am I thinking of something else?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I thought those were more anterior deltoid? Its a cable exercise yes?

You stand facing away from the pulley. The pulley is at your feet with a rope attached. You squat down to grab the rope and basically pull through between your legs to the end position which is you standing upright, with your arms extended in front of you?

Am I thinking of something else?
    That is something else, as far as what I have learned as a pull through.

What you are explaining sounds like a swing done with a cable.

Then you just come back to upright, with a forward lean.

You can also do it so you keep your back straight and push back your hips with a slight bend in the knee for more hamstring/glute and less lower back.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hmm, thats the workout I was picturing in my head.

Does the cable split your nuts?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Rep Points

Pauses
    Slow reps

Drop Set
    Double Drop
    Down the rack(superduper drop sets)
    Super Set
    Double Super Set
    Tri-Set
    Rest-Pause technique
    1-1/2 Reps
    Pre-Fatigue

Amor Fati

Rep Points

I use a basic linear periodization protocol in which i will linearly increase a certain variable (usually intensity, volume or density) to a certain point over a 3-5 week period, then unload and begin anew with either a different variable or the same variable but with my higher level of fitness. Might not be the greatest of methodologies but school is killing me right now and i don't have time to write out long winded programs like i used to, so i just stay basic and try to improve slowly w/out injury. Over the past couple of weeks my day 1 strength work was like this wk1-squats 3x3, wk2-squats 3x5, wk3-squats 4x5, wk4-squats 5x5. Today is week 4 and i will try hitting 5x5. Next week will be a maintanence week where i will go 5x5 again or maybe even add a set or rep to every set then the following week will be deload week, which is when i'm going away for the weekend to South Beach Miami for the WMC's. When i get back i'll start something different.

Also keep in mind i don't always hit what i have on paper. Sometimes i will be tired or feel like a tweaked something in my back, at which point i might call it a day with the strength work. Sometimes i won't hit all my reps etc. I go by instinct a lot nowadays as i find that if i push myself to always hit my numbers on the paper i wind up getting hurt very quickly.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

Rep Points

My shock period is my week off.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

My "shock" usually includes changing the rep variables to something different than what is normal, and doubling or tripling the volume while reducing rest intervals.
    "in the howling bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure."

Rep Points

[QUOTE=AKIRA;1583774]Supersets...are you using 2 machines that involve the same movements as well? E.g. Two machines that are called "chest press" but since both are from different manufacturers, their angles or grips are different..? Or are you talking a chest press machine, followed by a pec deck?

X-reps...these are the only things I havent used. I dont think I should do them for deads, but a sumo squat or a ham string curl?

Dropsets...thats what youre talking about with the DB curls yes?

yes, dropsets with dumbells are awesome. As far as supersets, I try to do two machines that have different movements so I will do like an incline bench press machine and machine flys. Of course you don't need machines, you could do bench press and dumbell flys, but pretty much I will do four sets on each lift, alternating the sets on each lift, and taking no more than a 15-20 second break.
    Knowledge is Power

Rep Points

for biceps one of my favorite lifts is 21's. first 7 reps are partial from an extended arm to half way, next 7 reps are partial from halway to flexed, last seven reps are the full bicep curl.
    Knowledge is Power

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Incredibly, Ive never done 21s. Not a bad idea for a shocking arm day.

Compound movements are the movements I am stumped on.

gopro uses a hack squat as an example in 1 of his shock passages. What exactly does a hack squat target? I mean is it a quad or ham dominant exercise?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Duncans Donuts View Post
    My "shock" usually includes changing the rep variables to something different than what is normal, and doubling or tripling the volume while reducing rest intervals.
    Can you state an example?

I actually thought of doing 2 different types of deadlifts tomorrow for my hams....but now you mention volume doubling, so it makes me wonder.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

Well, my routine is very low volume naturally (20 minutes or so in the gym). What I normally do is adjust the rest intervals every 6-8 weeks (from 30seconds to 3 minutes). If my actual rest interval has been 3 minutes for a time, I will cut it down to 1 minute. The more extreme the better for my "blitzing" cycles, but they don't last for more than 10 days and are followed by a week off.

If I normally am doing 2 sets, I will do 4 or 6 sets of an exercise. That's what I meant by doubling or tripling the volume. It usually is correspondent with lowering the rest intervals. When I do this, it is a huge imposition on my body and drains me bad.
    "in the howling bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure."

Rep Points

Incredibly, Ive never done 21s. Not a bad idea for a shocking arm day.

Compound movements are the movements I am stumped on.

gopro uses a hack squat as an example in 1 of his shock passages. What exactly does a hack squat target? I mean is it a quad or ham dominant exercise?
    Quad.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hmm, thats the workout I was picturing in my head.

Does the cable split your nuts?
    Not for me, but it depends how long your arms are and how low your satchel hangs.
    fufu's 1337 Journal