IronMagLabs Osta Rx

          Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter


misinformation is epidemic; the media lies to you

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 196
  1. #1
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    misinformation is epidemic; the media lies to you






    If you are bored, I challenge you to read through these and see how many you can answer correctly.



    1. What is the difference between full-automatic and semi-automatic? Is there one?
    2. Are machine guns legal to own in the United States? Can they be easily bought over the counter?
    3. How many legally owned machineguns have been used in a crime by civilians since 1934, when they were restricted by Federal law?
    4. What percentage of American homes have firearms in them? a)10% b)25% c)45%
    5. Is there any such thing as a 45mm handgun?
    6. Is the crime rate by concealed carry holders greater or lesser than the general population?
    7. Are there a greater or lesser number of crimes committed with firearms than defensive uses of firearms?
    8. What did the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban actually ban?
    9. What is the average income of a gun owner? a)$20K b) $30K c) $50K
    10. Are you more or less likely to be injured a) resisting a violent assault with a firearm or b) resisting a violent assault without a firearm c) not resisting at all?
    11. If you are a male citizen of the US, between the ages of 17 and 45, and not in the National Guard or other armed forces, are you in the militia according to the United States Code?
    12. Thousands of children 0-14 die in gun accidents every year, true or false?
    13. What is the ratio between homicides and democides (killed by your own government) in the 20th Century?
    14. What is the correlation between restricting firearms and the violent crime rate on a state-by-state basis?
    15. Which group shoots a bystander more often in a defensive shooting - concealed carry permit holders or cops?
    16. How many guns do private American citizens own? How many guns does the military own?
    17. What percentage of murders are committed with a semi-automatic rifle with a protruding handgrip?
    18. What percentage of gun owners are not hunters?
    19. What does a police department pay for a fully automatic weapon? What does a citizen have to pay for the same weapon because of an artificially restricted supply?
    20. How many Democrats lost their seats in Congress because of the Assault Weapons Ban?



    ANSWERS:
    1. Full-auto fires continuously, semi-auto fires one shot with each pull of the trigger.
    2. Yes, they're legal. No, you can't buy one without an EXTENSIVE federal background check.
    3. None of the 300,000 legally owned machineguns have been used in a crime by a citizen since 1934, when they were first regulated. No legally owned silencer, howitzer, or grenade has ever been used in a crime either.
    4. C, 45%.
    5. No, but a lot of journalists get this one wrong. 45mm is in anti-tank weapon territory.
    6. CCW holders are 20 times less likely to be arrested for any crime (source: Texas DOJ).
    7. There are 20x more defensive uses than criminal uses (source: US DOJ).
    8. Magazine capacities over ten rounds, and certain cosmetic features of military-style rifles. If you think it had something to do with banning machineguns, you've been duped - badly.
    9. C, $50K. The average education level of gunowners is a Bachelor's degree. (source: NRA-ILA survey).
    10. From most to least likely, b, c, a. You are least likely to be injured while resisting with a firearm (source: UK Home Office).
    11. Unequivocally. If you meet these criteria, you are in the militia BY LAW under USC 10 Sec. 311. Therefore, you're in a "well-regulated" militia.
    12. False. Accidental death by firearm accounted for 72 accidental deaths of 0-14 year olds in 2001 in the entire USA. (source: CDC)
    13. The instance of democide is 200 times greater than that of homicide. (source: U. Of Hawaii study, "Power Kills")
    14. The correlation is zero. Firearms restrictions do not impact the violent crime rate in any way. (source: Brady Campaign to Reduce Handgun Violence, USDOJ violent crime rates comparison)
    15. Concealed carry holders shoot the wrong person 2% of the time. Cops shoot the wrong person more than five times as often - 11% of the time. (source: Kleck study)
    16. Private US citizens own 300 million guns. The US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, and the National Guard combined own only 3 million guns. (UN Small Arms Survey)
    17. Less than 0.25% of murders involve an "assault weapon". (Source: Uniform Crime Report)
    18. Over 80% of gun owners don't hunt. (source: NRA survey)
    19. A police department can buy a fully automatic M16 from the government for $500. Because mere citizens cannot buy any machinegun made after 1986, a transferrable M16 is $15,000, a government-induced increase of 3,000%.
    20. "The fights I fought... cost a lot --the fight for the assault-weapons ban cost 20 members their seats in Congress." --William Jefferson Clinton

    ________________________

  2. #2
    Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER
    Big Smoothy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South America
    Posts
    5,536
    Rep Points
    224541817

    Very intrigueing stats, Clem.

    I agree, the media stinks.

    Judith Miller, and the New York Times to CNN's propaganda "The Week At War."

    It goes back long before.

    The American media is heavily censored.

    There is a comprehensive media filtering system.

    Meaning, that only those that internalize propaganda get hired to write as journalists.

    And you can easily be assigned to certain topics, while not being assigned to others.

  3. #3
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,084
    Rep Points
    81654611

    Good read.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  4. #4
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    I guess the problem with these things is that it is like preaching to the choir. The only people who will read it are the people who already agree.
    ________________________

  5. #5
    IDIOT SAVANT
    ALBOB's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    An alternate reality.
    Posts
    11,626
    Rep Points
    163513133

    I like #14 the best. I've been in a fight on another board with some dimwit from Handgun Control Inc. He's a typical gun grabber who knows absolutely nothing about guns except what HCI feeds him. It's almost comical at this point.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

  6. #6
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    310
    Rep Points
    2189194

    Guns aren't the only subject where the media misportrays information to persuade you into a certain viewpoint.

  7. #7
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB View Post
    I like #14 the best. I've been in a fight on another board with some dimwit from Handgun Control Inc. He's a typical gun grabber who knows absolutely nothing about guns except what HCI feeds him. It's almost comical at this point.
    It would be comical if it weren't so dangerous.
    ________________________

  8. #8
    Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Posts
    15,693
    Rep Points
    15158606

    Guns R bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.


    Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

  9. #9
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDyl View Post
    Guns R bad.
    Astounding insight. You are a true intellectual.
    ________________________

  10. #10
    %
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Points
    9140814

    #21. Does the average american citizen have a constitutional right to own a firearm?

    A. No. There is no constitutional right to own a gun.

    You seem to imply that the pool of people subject to compelled participation in the US militia confers the constitutional right to carry a gun by that individual. (If I'm wrong about that then discount most of what I've written below except for the final paragraph.)

    That's an interesting and creative reading of the Second Amendment.

    The 1939 case U.S. v. Miller is the only modern case in which the Supreme Court has addressed this issue. A unanimous Court ruled that the Second Amendment must be interpreted as intending to guarantee the states' rights to maintain and train a militia.

    "In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument," the Court said.

    So according to case law, it looks like the 2nd amendment addresses a state's right to own guns and not an individual's.

    You mention that we are being lied to by the media. I don't follow gun news so would you show me some of this misinformation?

  11. #11
    Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Posts
    15,693
    Rep Points
    15158606

    Quote Originally Posted by clemson357 View Post
    Astounding insight. You are a true intellectual.
    "Guns R Bad."

    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.


    Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

  12. #12
    Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Posts
    15,693
    Rep Points
    15158606

    Quote Originally Posted by clemson357 View Post
    You are a true intellectual.
    How did you know about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.


    Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

  13. #13
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,614
    Rep Points
    895933335

    Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    #21. Does the average american citizen have a constitutional right to own a firearm?

    A. No. There is no constitutional right to own a gun.

    You seem to imply that the pool of people subject to compelled participation in the US militia confers the constitutional right to carry a gun by that individual. (If I'm wrong about that then discount most of what I've written below except for the final paragraph.)

    That's an interesting and creative reading of the Second Amendment.

    The 1939 case U.S. v. Miller is the only modern case in which the Supreme Court has addressed this issue. A unanimous Court ruled that the Second Amendment must be interpreted as intending to guarantee the states' rights to maintain and train a militia.

    "In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument," the Court said.

    So according to case law, it looks like the 2nd amendment addresses a state's right to own guns and not an individual's.

    You mention that we are being lied to by the media. I don't follow gun news so would you show me some of this misinformation?


    Wrong, and I will tell you why. When the bill of rights was written, a militia was considered a voluntary group of men with no official affiliation or employment to the state. By the second amendment's portrayal of a militia, I could form one. Me and my family and buddies then become a militia and we have the right to bear arms.

    Anyway, The bill of rights discuses rights to people and limitations of the government, why the fuck would they randomly throw in a right of the state. Why the hell would they have to give the state the right to bear arms when they already had it? You are misinterpreting the wording.
    Fucking Determined!

  14. #14
    %
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Points
    9140814

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Wrong, and I will tell you why. When the bill of rights was written, a militia was considered a voluntary group of men with no official affiliation or employment to the state. By the second amendment's portrayal of a militia, I could form one. Me and my family and buddies then become a militia and we have the right to bear arms.

    Anyway, The bill of rights discuses rights to people and limitations of the government, why the fuck would they randomly throw in a right of the state. Why the hell would they have to give the state the right to bear arms when they already had it? You are misinterpreting the wording.
    Look at my post again. That is not my conclusion. That is the conclusion of the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

    Your deconstruction of the 2A of the Bill of Rights is interesting as is your historical anaylsis of the origins of US militia men. I don't agree with either but I'll comment on your opinion re the Bill of Rights.

    Article I, Section 8 authorizes Congress:
    • "To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions; to provide for organizing, arming and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively the appointment of officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress."
    The militias are regulated by federal and state governments. They were the precursor to today's National Guard. The Founders were against standing armies so they created a system where citizens could keep arms in their homes and be called to duty on a moment's notice. In this context, the 2A authorizes these folks to bear arms. There. End of mystery.

    The SP CT has always held this way that the 2A has referred to a National Guard situation and has never extended the definition to mean an individual has a constitutional right to bear arms.

  15. #15
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,501
    Rep Points
    3303946

    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

  16. #16
    %
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Points
    9140814

    Quote Originally Posted by brogers View Post
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    Well, I can't argue with you.

    I mean why even include the first part of that sentence b/c it means nothing to your personal prejudice and runs counter to your point.

    . . .the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    That's more effective now isn't it?

    It's also selectively disingenuous.

  17. #17
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    Decker, I am truly disappointed in you. A couple months back I posted an analysis with some statistics, and you responded that you hadn't made up your mind about gun control. Now it appears that you have fallen back on your default: regurgitating liberal talking points.

    What relevance is it whether a citizen has a constitutional right to own a firearm unless you plan to deprive them of that firearm? In other words, if someone can show that gun control is detrimental to public safety, the presence or absence of a constitutional right shouldn't come into play.

    Moreover, your interpretation of 70 year-old legal precedent has little bearing on the issue. Last week the DC appeals court held that the second amendment did apply to individuals. Spare me the talking points on this one, I am well aware that a federal appeals court is one step below the Supreme Court, and I am also well aware that when a court recognizes an unfounded "right of privacy" you and the rest of the liberals remind everyone that the Constitution is a "living document," yet when other rights that you denounce are recognized, you think it is "judicial activism." The point is that your support is seven decades old and will likely be revisited within the next year.

    Finally, you don't have to follow "gun news" to know how the media portrays guns. Its on the local news every night. Have you ever wondered why a stabbing isn't categorized as "knife violence" and a hit-and-run isn't categorized as "car violence" yet every night we hear about "gun violence." Its a myth, an arbitrary distinction emphasized by the media in their attempt to get ratings.

    Have you ever read a headline "Man injured by 8-cylinder, combustion engine automobile." Of course not, that is just sensationalist garbage. But how may times have you read "Man shot by semi-automatic 9mm handgun." That too is sensationalist garbage. Almost all handguns are semiautomatic, and 9mm is the most common handgun round in the world. Yet by adding the scary sounding terms, CNN gets higher ratings.

    If you are truly interested, read the John Lott's book 'the bias against guns.' He details how facts related to shootings are hidden or misrepresented by the media. In one instance, a teacher ran a mile to his car to retrieve a gun. He then ran a mile back and successfully stopped a school shooting. His car wasn't parked in the parking lot because of the illogical "gun free zone" policy supported by liberals. Out of about 70 news outlets that covered the story, 0 specified that it was stopped by a professor with a gun. When asked about their selective reporting, most journalists said they were didn't want to cast gun ownership in a positive light.
    ________________________

  18. #18
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,501
    Rep Points
    3303946

    Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Well, I can't argue with you.

    I mean why even include the first part of that sentence b/c it means nothing to your personal prejudice and runs counter to your point.

    . . .the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    That's more effective now isn't it?

    It's also selectively disingenuous.
    It isn't selectively disingenuous, it's verbatim from the Bill of Rights...

  19. #19
    %
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Points
    9140814

    Decker, I am truly disappointed in you. A couple months back I posted an analysis with some statistics, and you responded that you hadn't made up your mind about gun control. Now it appears that you have fallen back on your default: regurgitating liberal talking points.
    Gosh darn it, those are great talking points I think.
    What relevance is it whether a citizen has a constitutional right to own a firearm unless you plan to deprive them of that firearm? In other words, if someone can show that gun control is detrimental to public safety, the presence or absence of a constitutional right shouldn't come into play.
    I don't know what you are talking about. The federal and state governments can regulate guns any way they see fit so long as it is a reasonable regulation. If an individual had a fundamental constitutional right to bear arms, the judicial review of any regulation of that right would be held to a much higher scrutiny/standard.
    Moreover, your interpretation of 70 year-old legal precedent has little bearing on the issue. Last week the DC appeals court held that the second amendment did apply to individuals. Spare me the talking points on this one, I am well aware that a federal appeals court is one step below the Supreme Court, and I am also well aware that when a court recognizes an unfounded "right of privacy" you and the rest of the liberals remind everyone that the Constitution is a "living document," yet when other rights that you denounce are recognized, you think it is "judicial activism." The point is that your support is seven decades old and will likely be revisited within the next year.
    Oh boy, oh boy--a challenge! The DC appeals court overturned 100+ years of decisions re the 2A. I wonder how long that will stand? One JUDICIAL ACTIVIST HOLDING and you're ready to drown stare desisis in a bath tub.

    The S.CT.'s decision is about 7 decades old. So what? You speak as if I wrote the opinion. I am just stating the law as it currently exists. Nobody asks my opinion on the matter.

    Until otherwise, that is the law of the land regarding your rights and gun ownership and you and all the other gun enthusiasts will bow down before it. Like it or not.
    Finally, you don't have to follow "gun news" to know how the media portrays guns. Its on the local news every night. Have you ever wondered why a stabbing isn't categorized as "knife violence" and a hit-and-run isn't categorized as "car violence" yet every night we hear about "gun violence." Its a myth, an arbitrary distinction emphasized by the media in their attempt to get ratings.
    I wasn't aware that a criminal shooting was really anti-gun bias inherent in the liberal media. I guess I have a lot to learn about liberal conspiracies and all american gun violence.
    Have you ever read a headline "Man injured by 8-cylinder, combustion engine automobile." Of course not, that is just sensationalist garbage. But how may times have you read "Man shot by semi-automatic 9mm handgun." That too is sensationalist garbage. Almost all handguns are semiautomatic, and 9mm is the most common handgun round in the world. Yet by adding the scary sounding terms, CNN gets higher ratings.
    As a matter of fact, I see '8-cylinder, combustion engine' accident/deaths all the time. It's just easier to say, 'car crash.' No doubt that criminal shootings are headline grabbers. I fail to see the lie though. And frankly, I recall most shootings being described as, well, shootings. Maybe I hear what I want to hear.
    If you are truly interested, read the John Lott's book 'the bias against guns.' He details how facts related to shootings are hidden or misrepresented by the media. In one instance, a teacher ran a mile to his car to retrieve a gun. He then ran a mile back and successfully stopped a school shooting. His car wasn't parked in the parking lot because of the illogical "gun free zone" policy supported by liberals. Out of about 70 news outlets that covered the story, 0 specified that it was stopped by a professor with a gun. When asked about their selective reporting, most journalists said they were didn't want to cast gun ownership in a positive light.
    I remember when that gun free zone case came to the supreme court--it was about how the commerce clause was not adequate justification for regulating weapons in a school zone.

    You pick a case that is the most egregious ridiculous exception rather than the rule. Terrific.

    Here's my opinion. I don't want to return to the old west where everybody is packing heat. I don't want some goober having a machine gun because gosh darn it, he needs one for personal protection. But most of all, I don't want to be shot to death in a bar discussion turned bad b/c some asswipe can't hold his liquour but he can sure hold his gun. That is my opinion.

    But like with drugs, the genie is out of the bottle and the gun problem must be dealt with in a fair and responsible manner.

    I just don't understand the fascination with guns.

  20. #20
    %
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Points
    9140814

    Quote Originally Posted by brogers View Post
    It isn't selectively disingenuous, it's verbatim from the Bill of Rights...
    I meant your blackened emphasis. You are a liar and a thief, but you attend church regularly.

    I don't mean any malice toward you.

  21. #21
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    My point was that your analysis is wrong. Assume you are correct, that the government can regulate guns "any way they want." That doesn't lead to the conclusion that the government SHOULD regulate guns any way they want. The idea that limiting the population's access to guns has a positive impact on crime is demonstrably false, plain and simple.

    Liberals are all too eager to talk about broad principles of liberty and freedom from governmental interference when it comes to "a woman's right to choose." However, switch the conversation to gun ownership, and the government is free to institute arbitrary regulations, according to you.

    Feel free to dance around the subject all you want. Feel free to add in some gross exaggeration. Nobody is talking about changing any law having to do with machine guns, so I don't know why you bring them up. You try to play the part of the intellectual, but when it comes to something that is painfully simple, you would rather post a bunch of nonsense than consider the possibility that your preconceived notions might actually be wrong.
    ________________________

  22. #22
    %
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Points
    9140814

    My point was that your analysis is wrong. Assume you are correct, that the government can regulate guns "any way they want." That doesn't lead to the conclusion that the government SHOULD regulate guns any way they want. The idea that limiting the population's access to guns has a positive impact on crime is demonstrably false, plain and simple.
    Don't assume I'm correct about governmental regulation of firearms--I am correct. Judicial scrutiny of gov. regulation (state or fed) of firearms would necessarily change to the strictest scrutiny if gun ownership were a fundamental constitutional right. Your point as to whether regulation should be done at all is not germane to the point of the government's capacity to regulate gun ownership.
    Liberals are all too eager to talk about broad principles of liberty and freedom from governmental interference when it comes to "a woman's right to choose." However, switch the conversation to gun ownership, and the government is free to institute arbitrary regulations, according to you.
    Only a prejudiced conservative would compare a woman's right to privacy with a lust to own a machine of destruction. Apples and oranges constitutionally speaking.
    Feel free to dance around the subject all you want. Feel free to add in some gross exaggeration. Nobody is talking about changing any law having to do with machine guns, so I don't know why you bring them up. You try to play the part of the intellectual, but when it comes to something that is painfully simple, you would rather post a bunch of nonsense than consider the possibility that your preconceived notions might actually be wrong
    tap a tap a tap a tap---What? you don't like tap dancing?

    If you consider the Constitution and judical opinion emanating from it as a 'dance' around your concept of what the truth of gun ownership really is in this country, then you are in trouble.

    I am defending 100+ years of Supreme Court decisions in deconstructing the 2A.

    You are expressing wishful thinking. You have your inchoate mass of health and safety statistics which you think buttresses your prejudiced view that guns should not be regulated and are in fact a fundamental constituitonal right.

    You are welcome to your opinion. It just does not reflect the law or the Constitution. Maybe it will someday, but I hope not.

  23. #23
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    I grow weary of trying to talk reason to people who are consumed with an irrational fear. You talk in circles, and you are too unintelligent to know it.

    You are correct, I concede. A gun is a "machine of destruction," not at all comparable to a procedure which pulls a developing fetus from its mother and smashes its skull to stop its beating heart. I am sure the 2.5 million people who use a gun legally to preserve their own life every year consider their gun a "machine of destruction." Why even consider an argument that makes such an analogy??? Such an academic venture may actually lead to more informed opinion, and you wouldn't want that.

    By the way, the Supreme Court hasn't addressed the second amendment since 1939. That doesn't constitute "100+ years of Supreme Court decisions." It constitutes ONE Supreme Court decision. Its on the table again. I wonder what Alito, Scalia, Roberts, Kennedy, Souter, and Thomas will think. I am sure your vague appeals to "stare decisis" will prevail.
    ________________________

  24. #24
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    26,845
    Rep Points
    798633301

    As far as I'm concerned the government needs to get their noses out of Americans business and just do the job they are supposed to do...

    I'm sick of liberties being stripped away from the American people....

    I'm sick of gun control, I'm sick of anti-abortionists, jailing journalists, regulations on what prescriptions doctors can prescribe their patients, the FBI can look into anyone private records without the proper warranting procedures....my beefs oscillate over both sides of the party lines I have no set agenda except for True Freedom....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  25. #25
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,614
    Rep Points
    895933335

    Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Only a prejudiced conservative would compare a woman's right to privacy with a lust to own a machine of destruction. Apples and oranges constitutionally speaking.
    Wrong. I am neither liberal or conservative and I see a right as a right as a right. There is no difference. I think a woman has a right to choose and I have a right to bear a "tool" not a machine of destruction, but nice spin on that by the way.
    A gun has no intention. A gun has no decision making ability. If a gun saved your families life, I sure bet you wouldn't say to the reporters "thank god I had a machine of destruction locked in my closet to protect my family with".

    You are obviously biased.
    Fucking Determined!

  26. #26
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,614
    Rep Points
    895933335

    Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the government needs to get their noses out of Americans business and just do the job they are supposed to do...

    I'm sick of liberties being stripped away from the American people....

    I'm sick of gun control, I'm sick of anti-abortionists, jailing journalists, regulations on what prescriptions doctors can prescribe their patients, the FBI can look into anyone private records without the proper warranting procedures....my beefs oscillate over both sides of the party lines I have no set agenda except for True Freedom....
    God damn it manic, start a new party. I'll join.
    Fucking Determined!

  27. #27
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,614
    Rep Points
    895933335

    Quote Originally Posted by clemson357 View Post
    I grow weary of trying to talk reason to people who are consumed with an irrational fear. You talk in circles, and you are too unintelligent to know it.

    You are correct, I concede. A gun is a "machine of destruction," not at all comparable to a procedure which pulls a developing fetus from its mother and smashes its skull to stop its beating heart. I am sure the 2.5 million people who use a gun legally to preserve their own life every year consider their gun a "machine of destruction." Why even consider an argument that makes such an analogy??? Such an academic venture may actually lead to more informed opinion, and you wouldn't want that.

    By the way, the Supreme Court hasn't addressed the second amendment since 1939. That doesn't constitute "100+ years of Supreme Court decisions." It constitutes ONE Supreme Court decision. Its on the table again. I wonder what Alito, Scalia, Roberts, Kennedy, Souter, and Thomas will think. I am sure your vague appeals to "stare decisis" will prevail.


    Boom! Clemson0wned!
    Fucking Determined!

  28. #28
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    26,845
    Rep Points
    798633301

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    God damn it manic, start a new party. I'll join.
    I'm pretty sure that the Libertarian Party is blowing the same trumpet for freedom....of course when Hunter Thompson was running under the same thinking he called it the Freak Party Ticket, take the ticket take the ride! So many people I know feel the same way yet come election time they suddenly drift to the left or right, I say while so many are covering the left and right flank we should run straight up the middle for a touchdown!
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  29. #29
    __________
    clemson357's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Points
    15167689

    The problem with people like Decker is that he is too consumed with his own bias to consider anything else.

    A couple months ago he quoted me some statistics, and I considered them. I then responded with why I didn't think they supported his conclusion. At the time, he considered what I had to say and said that he was undecided. Somewhere between now and then his views have gotten a lot more radical.

    If anyone has statistics or arguments that support the idea that gun control reduces crime, I would be happy to consider them and discuss them. What I can't tolerate is people who want to restrict people's liberty for no apparent reason, or because of some irrational fear. Relying on legal authority with no policy is equivalent to saying "I want to because I can." The correct argument is "I want to because it works, because its the best thing to do."

    Moreover, 70 year old precedent is extremely weak, especially when it hasn't been revisited since. I can quote you old precedent stating that the government can forcibly neuter chicken thieves.
    ________________________

  30. #30
    Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER
    The Monkey Man's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    14,421
    Rep Points
    14936998






    If you are bored, I challenge you to read through these and see how many you can answer correctly.


    1. What is the difference between full-automatic and semi-automatic? Is there one? Depends on how fast I pull the trigger

    2. Are machine guns legal to own in the United States? Can they be easily bought over the counter? I wish

    3. How many legally owned machineguns have been used in a crime by civilians since 1934, when they were restricted by Federal law? None by me

    4. What percentage of American homes have firearms in them? a)10% b)25% c)45% - d) mine

    5. Is there any such thing as a 45mm handgun? If there is I want to shoot it

    6. Is the crime rate by concealed carry holders greater or lesser than the general population? more if the holders are crips

    7. Are there a greater or lesser number of crimes committed with firearms than defensive uses of firearms? Crimes... because criminals don't pick on high-speed x-military shooters

    8. What did the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban actually ban? my ability to buy cool guns

    9. What is the average income of a gun owner? a)$20K b) $30K c) $50K
    the income is determined by the size of their allotment to the local gunshop

    10. Are you more or less likely to be injured a) resisting a violent assault with a firearm or b) resisting a violent assault without a firearm c) not resisting at all? I might injure my wrist discharging some of the custom loaded hi power rounds I sport


    11. If you are a male citizen of the US, between the ages of 17 and 45, and not in the National Guard or other armed forces, are you in the militia according to the United States Code? You Damn Skippy!

    12. Thousands of children 0-14 die in gun accidents every year, true or false? I didn't see those fuckers smoking dope in my yard

    13. What is the ratio between homicides and democides (killed by your own government) in the 20th Century? I don't think its that high, as police can't shoot for crap

    14. What is the correlation between restricting firearms and the violent crime rate on a state-by-state basis? Hmmm, Restricting my firearms could force me to become violent

    15. Which group shoots a bystander more often in a defensive shooting - concealed carry permit holders or cops? Permit holders... If you consider the ratio of hits to rounds fired

    16. How many guns do private American citizens own? How many guns does the military own? The military has all the really cool ones (and you get to use them for free)

    17. What percentage of murders are committed with a semi-automatic rifle with a protruding handgrip? Dead men tell no tales

    18. What percentage of gun owners are not hunters? Hunters of what?

    19. What does a police department pay for a fully automatic weapon? What does a citizen have to pay for the same weapon because of an artificially restricted supply? The police should auction their used weapons as they do their cars

    20. How many Democrats lost their seats in Congress because of the Assault Weapons Ban? Sarah Brady Lives! -

    Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!



Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Methylhexanamine (Geranamine) Misinformation
    By Prince in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
  2. Steroid Use is an Epidemic in Lebanon
    By Prince in forum Anabolic Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 09:49 AM
  3. Steroids: Myths, Misconceptions and Misinformation
    By Prince in forum Anabolic Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
  4. misinformation about gear
    By westb51 in forum Anabolic Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
  5. American Obesity Epidemic
    By Big Smoothy in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->