NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Does Running Make You Lose Muscle Mass?

Rep Points

Does Running Make You Lose Muscle Mass?

I want to start running but I heard that if you run long distances you lose muscle mass. Is this true? Or is this just a myth?

Go on....DO IT!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Read up on HIIT, just use the search there is plenty about it here.
    I do my best to focus on the task at hand, and give 100% in what I'm doing at the time. Nothing else matters except the task at hand.

Rep Points

IMO there is no way to be a long distance runner and a highly competive BB'er.

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

You defitently, defitently can't optimally do both.
    "in the howling bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure."

Rep Points

i run crazy amounts and i lift. ive gained alot of mass compared to what i used to look like... i believe as long as you eat ALOT and CLEAN then your ok. cause its worked for me.

Stay puffed, baby.

Rep Points

yeah, you can lift and get a little bigger, but you can't be BIG and be a long distance runner. sorry, SAID principle comes into play. you give up one at the expense of the other.
    "in the howling bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure."

Rep Points

did u guys read that hes only 16 he prolly has awhile to go to decide that.
    But that would make triathlons a bit more exciting if at the mile marker u had to pull/push a car or something

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

As a rule of thumb I never run for more than 45-60 minutes. Same with workouts.

Rep Points

yeah, you can lift and get a little bigger, but you can't be BIG and be a long distance runner. sorry, SAID principle comes into play. you give up one at the expense of the other.( duncans donuts)

Pretty much sums it up IMO

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Duncans Donuts View Post
    yeah, you can lift and get a little bigger, but you can't be BIG and be a long distance runner. sorry, SAID principle comes into play. you give up one at the expense of the other.
    agreed.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: Robert20

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm a former BB'er turned distance runner and I can chime in on this one. I've dropped some lean mass over the past few years just because my strength training volume has dropped way down from what it used to be, as did my protein intake. However, it's not like it melts off drastically. I think I lost 3 pounds of LBM my first year (lifting still 2x/week) and a LOT of body fat. You can still run and maintain lean mass, but you're not going to win any races carrying around 175 lbs. of LBM of course. Stick to interval running and make sure it isn't too long in duration and you should be fine.

And if you want to be a runner competitively, why carry an extra 20 pounds around anyway? You'll be faster without it. That's why elite long distance runners are sticks.
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

It depends how much you do on both, what your diet and training is like, and good ol' genetics. I think people exaggerate the kind of effect it has. I think doing cardio a few times per week for 30 minutes or so is very reasonable if you continue lifting at the appropriate volume and intensity.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

I had a few questions and I have been wondering for a while. I am 14 and in high school. I joined cross country late in the summer because I wanted to lose fat like stomach fat. I went through the whole season I got a lot stronger than before, a lot faster, and better endurance. But I am still about 155 lbs. I started taking whey protein about two weeks ago, and I eat a better balanced diet now. But I wanted to know do you think if I run a lot like 5-6 times a week of long distance running and get a lot of protein and fewer calories. Will I be able to lose fat but keep muscle mass?

Rep Points

you guys keep saying long distance runner, how much are you running to be considered a long distance runner?

im trying to get as big as i can possibly get but, because the Air Force doesn't really care how much i can dead i also have to keep my mile and a half time up..basically how much should i be running to keep this time without losing mass?

Rep Points

well mile and a half is something that wouldnt bee too difficult at a moderate frame...

The bigger you arethe more blood and oxygen it takes to feed your muscles. the quicker lactic acid builds up. Everyone is different. Theres no set limit. ITs how you condition your body.

I suffered a huge loss in my cardiac endurance by lifting weights for 6 months.. no cardio wanted to bulk for a coming footballl season.. Now i've had to cut my weight goals short and start cardio 4 weeks early.. drop a few kilos..

Rep Points

Can some answer my question as well? (Its like 2-3 posts above this post)

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mamba33 View Post
    Can some answer my question as well? (Its like 2-3 posts above this post)
    highly unlikely. at your age you need the surplus calories because you're growing. eating less and running alot will have you like a weed in no time
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by RasPlasch View Post
    I want to start running but I heard that if you run long distances you lose muscle mass. Is this true? Or is this just a myth?
    Lots of calories are burned up while running those long distances. I ran four years of cross country during high school and never weighed more than 160 at a height of 6'1".

Looking at my ever-increasing waistline, I'd say it's about time to hit the road (or treadmill) again.

I don't have any studies to support the theory that running causes a person to lose muscle mass, but there seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence if you take a look at your average cross country runner.

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

...jack of all trades, King of none
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaba View Post
    ...jack of all trades, King of none
    I concur

Rep Points

if you want to run, sprint. Interval running will not have the same catabolic effects as long-distance running.

Rep Points

I agree...if you do HIIT and eat a clean diet you will be fine. Don't forget to add essential fats to your diet. A lot of people will want to be on a solid cut but do so with no fat in their diet, and they just get drained/weak.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncscs View Post
    if you want to run, sprint. Interval running will not have the same catabolic effects as long-distance running.
    Your right, running in short, fast sprints, will cuz an anabolic effect on your body; not a catabolic

Rep Points

HIIT with INTENSE sprinting can only add to lower body mass. At least in my experience.