• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Is a Belt for Squatting like straps for deadlifting or a shirt for benching

anklebreaker

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
My primary goal is a lifter is to build up leg strength and power so I can be a better basketball player and a better athlete generally. As such, I long ago decided that my forearm development wasnt as important as my hamstrings, so I started using straps so I could deadlift heavier. Similarly, I feel that my lower back is my main weakness in the squat and when, just yesterday, I used a belt for the first time I was able to put up significantly more poundage. Did the belt take my back out of the equation and allow my glutes and legs to lift to their full potential (like someone using straps on a deadlift)? Or did my legs work just as hard as they normally do and the use of the belt just arbitrarily inflated the amount of weight I could lift (like a bencher wearing a shirt)?

If my only real concern is leg development, should I be using a belt when I squat ?

Anytime I stack on real heavy weight, I use a belt for support so I don't fuck my back up. But if I am doing lighter weight like in the 10-12 range I don't.

A belt isn't going to stop you from building your leg strength, so I don't see how it could hurt to use one.

Well maybe I am mistaken. How many of you feel that you shouldn't use a belt, even when you are squatting 350 or more?

Do you think it is more of a boast to your 1RM rather than a safety precaution?

I hurt my back real bad once in high school squatting without a belt, but it could have been bad form.

I disagree. Don't use a belt. You should have enough core strength to lift the weights you want to lift, especially if you're an athelete. Core strength is vital for athletes.

If you have a bad back, I see the point, but for healthy athletes I don't.

I am not saying that core strength is irrelevant, but the way I see it is squatting is the best tool I have to build powerfull legs. If my back is limiting my abillity to develop my legs, then perhaps I should squat with a belt and do other exercises (Good Mornings/deadlifts/BB rows) as auixillaries to build my lower back?

So what I'm really curious about is if squatting slightly more weight with a belt is doing more in terms of lower body development than squatting less w/o a belt? If it is not than I agree and see no reason to use a belt while squatting.

if your goal is athleticism, your core is important so no, you shouldn't use a belt.

Well maybe I am mistaken. How many of you feel that you shouldn't use a belt, even when you are squatting 350 or more?

Do you think it is more of a boast to your 1RM rather than a safety precaution?

I hurt my back real bad once in high school squatting without a belt, but it could have been bad form.

I think everyone should do what is important for them. If someone feels they need to use a belt, they should. However, whereas grip strength is relatively inconsequential in every day life, a strong core is integral.

Your only as strong as your weakest muscle!

Just thought it went well there. You know if you were to train without straps from the beginning you wouldnt be having this conversation.

With that said, I agree with Dale's last comment.

should i work my abs more seeing as i dont have a choice with using a belt or not my coachs make everyone on the team use a belt for squat deadlifts and cleans.

IML Gear Cream!
You should always focus on your core. Weak core leads to many muscle inbalances and normally bad posture which can lead to injury.

should i work my abs more seeing as i dont have a choice with using a belt or not my coachs make everyone on the team use a belt for squat deadlifts and cleans.
Your core is more than just your abs. So research a little bit on core strengh and work on that. To make a blanket policy on the use of belts is just CYA for the coaches in the event someone gets hurt. If they did not use the belt then the student was not following school policy. It is a way of deflecting the responsibilty and accountability. Otherwise known as blame shifting. People get hurt and some killed lifting weights (some guy in PA was found dead recently - apparently while bench pressing in a local gym). Belts will not save you from yourself (learning proper form and not exceeding your limits), just like airbags will not always save you when you exceed your driving limitations racing down the interstate at excessive speeds. Sorry for the rant, it is just that our society seems to feel the need to save us from ourselves. Sometimes I feel we need more chlorine in the gene pool.

I haven't used a belt in a year. I miss it.

You can have a strong core and develop it with or without a belt doing squats :rolleyes:

Sorry - Gym death was not PA but CT - Norwich Bulletin - www.norwichbulletin.com - Norwich, Conn.
Your core is more than just your abs. So research a little bit on core strengh and work on that. To make a blanket policy on the use of belts is just CYA for the coaches in the event someone gets hurt. If they did not use the belt then the student was not following school policy. It is a way of deflecting the responsibilty and accountability. Otherwise known as blame shifting. People get hurt and some killed lifting weights (some guy in PA was found dead recently - apparently while bench pressing in a local gym). Belts will not save you from yourself (learning proper form and not exceeding your limits), just like airbags will not always save you when you exceed your driving limitations racing down the interstate at excessive speeds. Sorry for the rant, it is just that our society seems to feel the need to save us from ourselves. Sometimes I feel we need more chlorine in the gene pool.

Back