• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Fitday.com Calorie Counting Help Req'd. 100+100+100=350!!? WTF!??

Big G

Back from the grave.
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I use Fitday.com to track my daily food intake. But something's wierd...

Yesterday (3/27), for example, I apparently ate 616 calories from fat, 858 calories from carbs and 954 calories from protein. 616+858+954=2,428(Grand Total).

Here's the wierd thing... Fitday shows my total calorie intake as 2,660, not 2,428. Why would that be? Where are the extra 232 calories coming from?

Click this link and go to yesterday's date. You'll see what I mean. If you add up calories from fat, protein and carbs it's less than the total calories eaten.

It's as if it adds any calories from fiber to the Grand Total, but does not include it when calculating calories from carbs.

Again, why would that be? And, should I base my diet on the Total Calories number or the sum of calories from protein, fat & carbs?

Well, insoluble fibre (e.g. bran) passes through undigested so is 0kcals/g. Soluble fibre (e.g. pectin, beta-glucan, cellulose) is partially digested by intestinal bacteria so has some kcals/g but don't ask me how many.

Well, insoluble fibre (e.g. bran) passes through undigested so is 0kcals/g. Soluble fibre (e.g. pectin, beta-glucan, cellulose) is partially digested by intestinal bacteria so has some kcals/g but don't ask me how many.

Understood. So why would FitDay's Grand Total be adding in 4cal per gram of fiber? It doesnt add it in to the carb total, just the grand total. Weird huh?

D'ya think I should base my daily calorie intake on Fitday's Grand Total (including 4cal per 1g of fiber) or ignore what it's showing and use the sum of calories from Carbs, Protein & Fat only?

I'm still flabagasted that the "Total" is not actually total of the other numbers. That's seriously messed up! If I consume 100g of fiber throughout the day, my Grand Total calorie intake could be 400 calories away from where it is in reality. That's the difference between my body thinking it's starving or not!

Fibre generally contains about 1.5-2.5 cals per gram (average of 2 cals/gram)... It is somewhat variable because it passes into the large intestine where it is degraded by the bacteria in your gut - So it depends on the type/number and health of these bacteria [therefore it is an individual thing].

OP: Don't get too caught up in the numbers. It is just a number - so don't look at the NUMBERS, rather - look at the results THOSE numbers are getting IN YOU.... eg: If you had been eating something everyday (and getting results) but you suddenly realised that the label has been wrong and you have been eating twice as much as you thought.... Does it change the fact that you have been getting results? (The answer would be no....)

It simply changes how you RECORD what you had been eating.... Like writing something as 0.29 or 29%. Doesn't make a rat's hinny of difference... It is simply a way you can TRACK what you are doing so you can change/ tweak if necessary.

So, as long as you KEEP CONSISTANT in the measurement method, don't stress about how the measurement is finally calculated.

BUT... I will say that Fitday REALLY sux for counting and I never use it and never recommend anyone to use it either.... Much more accurate would be - NutritionData.com NutritionData's Nutrition Facts Calorie Counter (gosh I love that site) and Nutridiary :: Free Online Diet Diary

Fitday's estimates of calorie values for different foods does suck, you're right.

I tend to enter my own custom foods. My "almonds" (for example) are a custom food (one that I've entered myself) and the nutritional info is copied right from the packet to ensure accuracy. Fitday works great if you work with it in this way.

I'm still dumbfounded about the Total not being the total though. That's seriously messed up. My testosterone levels dropped significantly after going on a low (2,000 or less) calorie diet with only 5-10% of calories coming from fat. Professional advice dictated I up my calories to around 2750 and take in a LOT more fat (12g per meal Vs 10g per day!). I thought I'd been doing well but, if Fitday is adding 4cal per 1g of fiber (in the Grand Total only, not in the total it shows seperately for carbs) and I've eaten near 100g of fiber some days, my total calorie intake may be severely low.

I'm supposed to be promoting testosterone production, not continuing to starve myself, thereby risking permanent damage to test' production forever!!! Grr!!

Back