Cutting & Exercise Selection

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Arrow Cutting & Exercise Selection

I couldnt stop thinking of questions today about this, so here goes..

During a cut, Id know that rest intervals, rep scheme, tempo should be altered, but are there any exercises that shouldnt fit into a cut program?

I was thinking about compounds.. If they are mass builders, could they be minimized or just totally deleted? Then I thought...no, since they are compounds, more muscles are being worked, thus more calories are being burned. So then if were talking about total caloric elimination, why bother with isolation movements?

See, I just cant stop.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

On a journey.......
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I do not look at bulk or cut as dictating the exercises I use. It does dictate the intensity (well for me anyway). If I am on a low carb cycle, I run out of steam towards the end of a workout. Armed with that knowlege, I do not work as many sets. If I was do do 4 sets of an exercise, I may drop to 3. Or I may drop the wts. It all depends on how energetic I feel that day. I feel that if you are getting really lean preparing for a show, you need to be careful, otherwise I would use the same program just less intensity.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I couldnt stop thinking of questions today about this, so here goes..

During a cut, Id know that rest intervals, rep scheme, tempo should be altered, but are there any exercises that shouldnt fit into a cut program?

I was thinking about compounds.. If they are mass builders, could they be minimized or just totally deleted? Then I thought...no, since they are compounds, more muscles are being worked, thus more calories are being burned. So then if were talking about total caloric elimination, why bother with isolation movements?

See, I just cant stop.
    If you always have a great day, you will always have a great life.

"The gym offers force and pain and relief. It provides challenge and struggle and satisfaction." Dave Draper

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So exercise list remains, no matter what?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Go on....DO IT!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Everything I've read would indicate the major difference in bulking and cutting phases is the diet and the weight that you move on each excercise.
    I do my best to focus on the task at hand, and give 100% in what I'm doing at the time. Nothing else matters except the task at hand.

On a journey.......
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    So exercise list remains, no matter what?
    I do not feel the exercise in and of itself brings on any risks. It is more the issue of your physical condition. As you cut, you generally have less "energy" to perform the exercises and you have less mass around the joints to keep them warm, lubricated, and otherwise protected. So as you get leaner, you are more pron to injuries. I have no science to support that, it just makes sense to me that when you are spent, your form suffers. And if you are on a cut, you are not storing fuel, but spending what you have stored (the fat). Maybe others can cite some studies or explain the phsyological issues regarding joint tissue at very lean conditions and under intense training (assuming negative issues exist).
    If you always have a great day, you will always have a great life.

"The gym offers force and pain and relief. It provides challenge and struggle and satisfaction." Dave Draper

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You might try more metabolically taxxing exercises. Single leg work really kills me. It's almost like doing two sets of the same exercise for me. I actually take a few seconds between legs on exercises like step ups, and with walking lunges I take a walk down...rest for a second...walk back...

You could do complexes as a form of conditioning too...
    Quote Originally Posted by B40 View Post
    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Rep Points

maybe this is a stupid question... but i know afer about 45 minutes of rigorous lifting, you start to release more growth hormone and testosterone. during a cut, should you keep your workouts short with higher intensity?
    Know the Rules:
    1. Cardio; 2. The Double Tap ; 4. Wear Seat Belts; 22. When in doubt Know your way out;
    31. Check the back seat; 32. Enjoy the little things