NapsGear.net

So apparently I've been squatting wrong...

Go on....DO IT!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So apparently I've been squatting wrong...

I was doing squats on my first working set 155lb, and after I racked the weight one of the trainers walked over. He told me to be careful, that I go down much further than most (ATG), and thats fine and all but on the way up I apparently tip my chest towards my knees and push up with my hips. At least this is what he told me.

He then grabbed a bar and demonstrated his point, and to me he was partially bent as well. Is the objective to stay perfectly vertical from your waist up. The guy was cool about it, and I'm glad he mentioned something to me before I hurt myself.
    I do my best to focus on the task at hand, and give 100% in what I'm doing at the time. Nothing else matters except the task at hand.

Rep Points

The idea is not to stay perfectly vertical in a squat, in fact the first place you bend is at the hips on the way down. As far as I know, you shouldn't really be tipping your chest on the way up, but keep your core tight throughout and that problem is solved.
    Life is not a bitch. Life is a beautiful women. You just call her a bitch because she won't give you that sweet pussy.

Go on....DO IT!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

A good pal of mine is a competitive BB, I've been wanting him to observe my form on deads. So perhaps I will just have him come with me one day to the gym for squats and deads.
    I do my best to focus on the task at hand, and give 100% in what I'm doing at the time. Nothing else matters except the task at hand.

Rep Points

pretty common from what ive seen when people go ATG. they fold over when coming out of the hole. maybe try going lighter and watch yourself in the mirror, drop it to 120lb or something, real easy comfortable weight and progressively stack weight on and see if you feel yourself start to fold over.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

the trunk angle you want to try and maintain is chest parallel to your shins.....or as close as possible since differences in torso and limb length between people will vary.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

i like it p-funk, never though of that standard before.

A Beached Whale..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by overthepond View Post
    The idea is not to stay perfectly vertical in a squat, in fact the first place you bend is at the hips on the way down. As far as I know, you shouldn't really be tipping your chest on the way up, but keep your core tight throughout and that problem is solved.
    lovely signature!

Go on....DO IT!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk View Post
    the trunk angle you want to try and maintain is chest parallel to your shins.....or as close as possible since differences in torso and limb length between people will vary.

That does make a world of a sense. The rack I use typically is right in front of a mirror. So I will give that a whirl.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll drop weight down and just make sure I'm killing the form.