• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Protein shake BEFORE workout?

Leatherface

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I workout immediately after work and usually don't have time for a proper meal. What could I mix with ON's Whey protein Powder to make it an efficient pre-workout shake for heavy weight training?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Milk, fruit...

I'd have a banana. Cheap, easy, and already made.

Plus, if its anything like where i used to work, having a banana wont result in more stupid questions.

Shake is a good idea Preworkout like 30-45 mins prior.

Yep throw the Banana in with the shake.

Ever heard of the Magic Bullet? Probably the best made for TV invention on the market. Last summer at work, because I was usually in the same situation as you were, I had a Magic Bullet and I'd make incredible shakes in just one easy step! I'm joking, but it really was helpful for work.

Milk, banana, light n' fit yogurt, and some whey tasted as if I went to the Brighams down the street.

Great!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It's always stressed on here that you should have your preworkout meal 30 - 45 minutes before you workout.. However, I get up in the morning and drive right to the gym.. up at 5am, leave by 5:15, working out by 5:30..granted, I'm not heavy lifting.... i drink a shake right before I head out the door for the gym; is this OK? Sometimes I can feel it sloshing around my stomach while I'm working out...so, is that better than working out on an empty stomach?

It's always stressed on here that you should have your preworkout meal 30 - 45 minutes before you workout.. However, I get up in the morning and drive right to the gym.. up at 5am, leave by 5:15, working out by 5:30..granted, I'm not heavy lifting.... i drink a shake right before I head out the door for the gym; is this OK? Sometimes I can feel it sloshing around my stomach while I'm working out...so, is that better than working out on an empty stomach?

it's better than having nothing but just having a shake after a nights sleep is no way near perfect.

IML Gear Cream!
it's better than having nothing but just having a shake after a nights sleep is no way near perfect.

Werd up to that. I would try having a proper meal prior to working out even if it takes more time or if you need to wake up a bit earlier. Cook up some egg whites and oats. It takes me no more than 5 minutes to prepare my breakfast FRESH, every morning. You might even notice some intensity and longevity benefits in the gym if you do this. :thumb:

Well, I don't mind cooking a meal.. my problem is that even if I get a little earlier to cook a better meal, I still don't have much time before eating and working out....

first thing in the morning is the only realistic time that I can workout.. I know me, and I know that if I don't do it first thing, and try to wait until after work, I wont go as consistantly... not making excuses, but I have family and responsibilities at home. Not to mention, that after working all day, I'm totally drained by the time I get home and I know that I wont go to the gym......So, it's not practical for me to try and workout in the evening.

Anyway, that being said... I just want to determine what is the best thing to do given my limited amount of time that I have between eating my first meal and working out.

I usually mix a protein shake... 1 cup low carb milk, 1 scoop whey, 1T flax oil... occasionally, I'll throw in some oat bran or if I have time to use the blender, I'll throw in frozen fruit. I actually prefer not to use the oat bran until my post workout meal where I can sit down and enjoy eating the carbs.

I workout for about 1 hour.

I woiuldnt go with the fruit, id go for a something like a banana, oats, etc...

if you're going to the effort of getting up so early, why waste it by not eating properly?

trust me, and the what others on the board say, it is definitely worthwhile eat a protein and carb (good quality) pre training.

Cook the meal the night before, put it in the fridge, wake up, warm it up, and eat it. Still wake up a little earlier to give it a minute to digest before hitting the gym. I can gurantee you will feel a million times better while working out with some solids in your stomach.

I'd have a banana. Cheap, easy, and already made.

Plus, if its anything like where i used to work, having a banana wont result in more stupid questions.

Hahaha I'm the same way. Everything I do/eat people question. :pissed:

what about eating nothing before work out?
i heard working out on an emtpy stomach is best for fat loss..not too sure about muscle gain

I've heard it's good to eat nothing before working out.. i don't eat anything
i just take NO XPLODE right before my work out
...I'm going to start drinking a protein drink 30-45 minutes before my work out

It depends. If your working out upon waking up, eat your first meal of the day BEFORE working out. I never eat something RIGHT before working out. I always give my body an hour to digest all those oats and egg whites before I hit the gym. I would never recomend working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Your body has been sleeping for X amount of hours working off of completely nothing.... it wants food so feed it.

IML Gear Cream!
whoa... i actually heard its good to work out right after you wake up without eating anything

whoa... i actually heard its good to work out right after you wake up without eating anything

That's retarded. Your body is literally starving when you wake up, you need to feed it. THEN hit the gym. It's actually more common sense than it is "what you heard."

I usually mix a protein shake... 1 cup low carb milk, 1 scoop whey, 1T flax oil... occasionally, I'll throw in some oat bran or if I have time to use the blender, I'll throw in frozen fruit. I actually prefer not to use the oat bran until my post workout meal where I can sit down and enjoy eating the carbs.

I workout for about 1 hour.

Have you tried adding some oats or a clean cereal in that shake? It will give ya some more energy while doing your workout. Not to mention it adds some nice texture to the shake. assuming you blend it.

(also, throw some cinnimon in there i've read it benifits metabolism, allthough this is from articles so i dont know the validity of it and it tastes great!)

Cinnamon has chromium which is supposed to help with thyroid function (although I don't know the dosage).

Cinnamon has chromium which is supposed to help with thyroid function (although I don't know the dosage).

consequently (sp?) does that help boost metabolism?

Banana and whey if not hungry or cutting. If you need something more substantial, add whole-wheat crackers, nuts, dried fruit, or anything healthy.

Fats require almost no energy to digest and the low repertory quotient means you won't have to breath as hard burning fats, as opposed to tons of carbs.

That's retarded. Your body is literally starving when you wake up, you need to feed it. THEN hit the gym. It's actually more common sense than it is "what you heard."

Thats not actually retarted, there was a big craze a few years back about this. But science has came out and proved it to be not such a hot idea. But he heard it from somewhere so he threw it out there.

I just started blending in some oats in my shakes.. OH MY! It's soooo good! Now my shakes are my favorite meal of the day! YUM!

I'll start sprinkling in some cinnamon now too! I need all the help I can get! :D

Back