• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Is eating bread fattening?

Foodio

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi,
I heard it isn???t good to eat breads. I eat a lot of whole wheat bread, but I heard that bread in general puts unwanted weight on your body.

Is this true?
Does anyone know where I can find info. on this?

Also, is it bad to eat bread before going to sleep? I heard it doesn???t digest quickly (and turns to fat) because you don???t do anything active while sleeping.

Thanks for reading!

Eating bread does not make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn is what makes you gain fat.

As far as bread, it's carbohydrates, and if you're trying to lose weight or get lean, you want to keep your carb intake in check.

Eating carbs before bed is not something I recommend when you're trying to lose weight.

------------------
Just because the majority believes it, does not make it true!

Hi Prince and others!

Eating carbs before bed is not something I recommend when you're trying to lose weight.

Why don't you recommend doing this?

Thanks

Yes, if you got a dieting program it is much better to eat a bread every morning than a rice. Like other member says eating a bread it is not make you fat it is little calories.

Unlike Robert, I prefer to eat any carbs I consume in the evening. I get hungry after I eat them. This way, I go to sleep rather than overeating.

To the OP - many people find wheat in particular messes with normal satiety signals - I'm one of 'em. I eat wheat, and my body just feels hungrier afterward. From there I can choose to remain hungry, or overeat. The wheat itself won't make me fat, but I assure you overeating does!

Dmiranda I flat out disagree! Where are you getting this idea from? Plus there is no such thing as fattening. Calories in vs. calories out. Plus, thanks(not) for the record bump....this thread was 9 years old!

I enjoy bread served as a liquid. I consume it in the evening. I am not fat. I appreciate the high calories and it's wholesome goodness.

In the mornings I prefer the opposite effect beans have. I take this in the form of a liquid as well.

I enjoy bread served as a liquid. I consume it in the evening. I am not fat. I appreciate the high calories and it's wholesome goodness.

In the mornings I prefer the opposite effect beans have. I take this in the form of a liquid as well.

why? :geewhiz::hmmm: chuck norris?

This has got to be the most delayed threadbump ever. 9 years! I know people who were born in the interim.

i enjoy bread served as a liquid. I consume it in the evening. I am not fat. I appreciate the high calories and it's wholesome goodness.

In the mornings i prefer the opposite effect beans have. I take this in the form of a liquid as well.

:d

Hi,
I heard it isn???t good to eat breads. I eat a lot of whole wheat bread, but I heard that bread in general puts unwanted weight on your body.

Is this true?
Does anyone know where I can find info. on this?

Also, is it bad to eat bread before going to sleep? I heard it doesn???t digest quickly (and turns to fat) because you don???t do anything active while sleeping.

Thanks for reading!

I feel bread isn't the best choice of carb. Whole wheat is the only way to go if you are going to eat it. I prefer oatmeal.

I feel bread isn't the best choice of carb. Whole wheat is the only way to go if you are going to eat it. I prefer oatmeal.
Why do you feel this is the case, and why do you prefer whole wheat or oatmeal?
I love to eat bread before going to bed but I know I should not eat it. What fasso?

Huh?

This thread was started when I was twelve FTW. :hmmm:

I'll note that I train at night, too.

try lard:

Happy_Lard.jpg

IML Gear Cream!
Lard's good stuff. Healthy natural fat that's excellent for frying.

If you were looking at optimized carb intake, stay as close to the original source as possible - i.e. oats, brown rice, barley, etc. Bread is processed.

The other thing to watch for is gluten or wheat allergies - this is something that many people are not aware of.

If you were to spend time eating bread while dieting, I'd probably stick w/ the non-gluten stuff like Ezekial bread.

RE: eating carbs at night - generally because they metabolize quickly you get the "zing" of a small sugar rush and then a crash. Personally I find it hard to sleep after a carb meal. Also because they were metabolized quickly, you're going that much longer w/ nothing in your system before your next meal (breakfast).

Fats, on the other hand, metabolize more slowly than carbs and you don't get the sugar rush. Further you also get another hour or two of food in your system until your next meal.

If you were looking at optimized carb intake, stay as close to the original source as possible - i.e. oats, brown rice, barley, etc. Bread is processed.
That kinda depends on your purpose though, don't you think? I mean, I pretty much stick to white rice when I'm carbing up. I don't want all that fibre when I have to get in over a thousand grams of carb in a couple of days. <colonblow!>

Processed or not, starches are glucose polymers. Sometimes you want 'em fast. Sometimes, not so much. Put another way: if you're looking toward grains for the bulk of your micronutritional needs, you might want to reconsider your diet.

My .02
The other thing to watch for is gluten or wheat allergies - this is something that many people are not aware of.
NO KIDDING. This cannot be emphasized enough. So many people have trouble with gluten!
If you were to spend time eating bread while dieting, I'd probably stick w/ the non-gluten stuff like Ezekial bread.
Ezekial isn't gluten free. I have a sister with Celiac and if she ate Ezekial bread she'd be in the hospital. It may be lower, but not free. Just to be clear, for those with Celiac who may be reading this.
RE: eating carbs at night - generally because they metabolize quickly you get the "zing" of a small sugar rush and then a crash.
They make me hungry and sleepy. If I eat 'em before bed, I sleep well and don't notice I'm hungry. Works perfectly. :)
Personally I find it hard to sleep after a carb meal. Also because they were metabolized quickly, you're going that much longer w/ nothing in your system before your next meal (breakfast

Fats, on the other hand, metabolize more slowly than carbs and you don't get the sugar rush. Further you also get another hour or two of food in your system until your next meal.

Longer periods between larger meals (ie intermittent fasting) can be a tremendously beneficial dietary pattern for such issues as protein synthesis and insulin sensitivity, so I see no particular advantage to your strategy.

Built;1981045 Longer periods between larger meals (ie intermittent fasting) can be a tremendously beneficial dietary pattern for such issues as protein synthesis and insulin sensitivity said:
IF is a particular protocol that does specifically that - scheduled fasts & refeeds - but if you're not doing that, the standard approach is small meals at short intervals, based on the concept that your body metabolizes proteins, fats & carbs every 2-3 hrs. The overnight period doesn't always allow you to do that, but if your body is conditioned to it, keeping the period of depletion shorter fits in better.

Its fine to follow any one protocol, but I think if you try to apply different parts of protocols, you're not going to get the results you think you're going to get. Just like if you're doing "low carb" but not low enough to go into ketosis, but too low to have enough carb as your primary energy source. Everything has a purpose and no one says any one way is right or wrong, but mixing a bunch of different ones won't really work.

the standard approach is small meals at short intervals, based on the concept that your body metabolizes proteins, fats & carbs every 2-3 hrs.

While this approach is very much ubiquitius at some point in nearly every bodybuilder's career --- it just isn't backed by science.

Whether an individual eats twice a day or seven times a week, it has no effect on one's metabolic rate --- one's basal metabolism is constant (1,2). Additionally, any effects due to the thermic effect of food would be irrelevant in regards to meal frequency. Eating 6 small meals makes 6 small fires, eating 3 large meals makes 3 large fires; either way, as long as total calories are constant, you are making the same amount of fire at the end of the day.

While eating six times a day may be comfortable for some, holding everything else constant, their results will be identical to anyone who eats twice a day.

(1) Verboeket-Van De Venne WPHG, et al. Effect of the pattern of food intake on human energy metabolism. British Journal of Nutrition 1993; 70:103-115

(2) Bellisle F, et al. Meal Frequency and energy balance. British Journal of Nutrition 1997;, 77: (Suppl. 1) s57-s70

here's a thread with some more links, many of them pertain to fat loss more so then perhaps muscle gain. Either way, it amounts to the same idea:

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/diet-nutrition/107605-help-me-right-quick.html

Oh, like half of that is taken from Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. Definitely worth a read.

No. Bread is NOT fattening.
Bread is one of the ESSENTIAL FOODS in a healthy weight loss plan.

Bread is one of the ESSENTIAL FOODS in a healthy weight loss plan.

Referring to carbohydrates in general, not only are they not 'essential', they are not required for normal function. However, many individuals do feel comfortable with carbohydrates in their diet.

Back