Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Yanks fire trainer over injury woes

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yanks fire trainer over injury woes

I knew someone had to take a fall..........

ARLINGTON - The Yankees' rash of injuries appear to have finally cost someone their job, the Daily News learned today.
    But it isn't Joe Torre or Brian Cashman.
    Marty Miller, the team's director of performance enhancement, has apparently taken the fall for the multitude of injuries that have beleaguered the Yankees during the first five weeks of the season.
    According to a source, Miller told some of the players that he had been relieved of his duties.
    Miller had been under scrutiny since the second week of the season, as several of the Yankees' top players had gone down with various muscle pulls and strains, leaving the pitching staff depleted for much of the year.
    Last month, one player, speaking on the condition of anonymity to the Daily News, called Miller's pregame stretching program "inadequate," saying that many players have taken to doing their own programs instead.
    Bobby Abreu, Chien-Ming Wang and Andy Pettitte each suffered injuries during spring training, but it wasn't until Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Mike Mussina went down after the start of the season that eyebrows began to raise.
    After Mussina strained his hamstring on April 11, Cashman threw his full support behind Miller and Cavalea, saying, "None of these injuries have anything to do with this new program."
    But after watching Phil Hughes limp off the mound Tuesday night with a hamstring injury - the fourth hammy problem for a Yankee this season - Cashman expressed some concern for the team's injury bug.
    "You get concerned about it, no doubt about it," Cashman said. "You try to figure out if there's any connection.
    "Some of them are explainable more so than others. Obviously, we have to look into everything. I can't tell you it's coming from the conditioning program, but you have to be objective and look at every aspect."
    Apparently, the team ultimately decided that Miller was part of the problem.
    Howard Rubenstein, the publicist for George Steinbrenner, referred all questions about Miller's status to Cashman. The GM didn't return a phone call, but is expected to address the subject at the ballpark later in the day.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

where do I send my resume?
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hate to say it, but I can kind of understand this firing.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon View Post
    Hate to say it, but I can kind of understand this firing.

SO can i. When almost all of the players are pulling hamstrings, you have to wonder what the hell is going on in there.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk View Post
    Be careful. Derek Jeter might try to give you teh buttsex.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That is right up P's alley.

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

P-funk likes the man candy?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

P-funk likes the man candy?
    Especially from Derek Jeter.

Rep Points

Nah, he'll ask for it

Rep Points

But in all seriousness, he's nailin Jessica Biel:

Great friggin ass

the true playboy

Rep Points

good for him
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke8395

But, I've been with girls that had saggy chests and boring butts and they still had no personality. Those girls are usually really bitter. I think they realize they are useless.

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Go for it! They need someone who knows his stuff.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I was thinking the same thing.

Give it a try......you never know.

It would be good to see you in pinstripes.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Fitness guru takes walk

By FILIP BONDY
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST
    Posted Thursday, May 3rd 2007, 10:48 AM

George Steinbrenner finally found somebody to fire yesterday, a scapegoat bereft of any significant following. His name is Marty Miller, a 34-year-old director of performance enhancement who isn't ever going to have his own plaque at Monument Park. If
    he did, someone surely would strain a hamstring just looking at it.
    That first part of the equation, the trainer's relative anonymity, is an important one. Steinbrenner hadn't enjoyed an easy firing like this one for quite some time. Miller was a fat, flat changeup down the middle, a walking caricature who had started the season 0-for-40.

It would require a lot more energy and heat to dismiss Ron Guidry, Don Mattingly or Joe Torre - Ronny and Donnie Baseball, plus Uncle Joe. It would also take considerable forcefulness to ax Brian Cashman, a move that might mean a major reorganization and a lengthy series of job interviews.

But then came Miller, a perfectly imperfect target who will go down as one of the more ludicrous figures in Yankees history, and arguably one of Cashman's worst mistakes of the season.
    Here was a great gift for Boss George. Fair or not, Miller gets blamed now for the whole silly series of mishaps and medical unravelings, for the lousy start to the season and maybe even for some awful personnel decisions. And why not? It got to the point where the Yankees couldn't climb a mound without losing a limb.

Four players, including three starting pitchers, strained their hamstrings. Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu and Andy Pettitte strained other muscles. Carl Pavano's ongoing tale is certain to be ripped from the headlines soon for one of the many TV doctor shows polluting the airwaves. Finally, when precious Phil Hughes went down in the seventh inning of a no-hit start on Tuesday, it was past time to treat the epidemic at its source.

While Cashman says it was his move, Steinbrenner reportedly screamed a little, forced the issue, and there it was. How good it must have felt finally for the owner to fire somebody again, like the good old days, for The Boss to make like his owner's-suite buddy, The Donald.

It is very hard to believe that all this is Miller's fault, but then the fellow had obvious drawbacks. The first problem was always Miller's title. In the age of steroid scandals, the words "performance enhancement" are not something you really want on your business card.

He was brought in by the GM to revolutionize the Yanks' training methods. Cashman dumped Jeff Mangold, the conditioning coach who was trusted by the players and went back to the Yankees' championship seasons. Miller was a minor league instructor a decade ago, and was working at a country club in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., getting weekend athletes in weekday shape.

The lack of portfolio didn't seem to concern Cashman. Miller was joined by Dana Cavalea, 24, an assistant, and then the club signed a 10-year commitment with 24Hour Fitness, a California-based company. Cashman's personal stamp would mark every Yankee ab and pec.

Miller junked many conventional strengthening programs such as arm stretching, rubber-band resistance and some running. He advised Pettitte to change the way he performed stomach-strengthening squats. The players laughed it all off at first, until the disabled list began multiplying like a pyramid scheme.

Yes, it has been a cold start to the spring, and the cold creates muscle stress. But Miller's results went beyond that, unfortunately. When fitness freaks such as Pettitte and Mike Mussina start dropping like pop flies, something is very wrong.

Or not. Who cares, really? The main thing is that Steinbrenner has found his pink slips again, tucked away deep inside a desk drawer in Tampa. In the old days, he would fire a pitching coach or a manager or a GM or a secretary who brought him the wrong sandwich. This is 2007, though, so he fires a fitness guru.

You've got to change with the New Age times. And now that the Boss has rediscovered his negative mojo, there is no telling whose head is next on the chopping block. Will it be a nutritionist or a sports psychologist?

Somebody, anybody, as long as he isn't famous or well-liked. Steinbrenner lost his stomach for unpopularity a long time ago. He still remembers that mess with Yogi Berra. It took more than 14 years and a few donations to Berra's museum before the Yankee great would make nice again with the owner.
    Yogi. Now there was a man with a fitness regimen.
    fjbondy@netscape.net

Rep Points

Who cares they don't have a shot at winning shit. Got fired cause he wasn't giving them enough HGH what was he thinking. Heard there going to give Giambi extra to do it. He learned at the gym hear in my hometown. Bulldog in glendora

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by NordicNacho View Post
    Who cares they don't have a shot at winning shit. Got fired cause he wasn't giving them enough HGH what was he thinking. Heard there going to give Giambi extra to do it. He learned at the gym hear in my hometown. Bulldog in glendora

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee View Post
    He advised Pettitte to change the way he performed stomach-strengthening squats
    Nice to see dude does his research.

Also, I would like to know how he changed his squat. IMO, if Pettite wasn't doing anything grossly ridiculous with form, changing it was a stupid move.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It's a conspiracy by the Red Sox. Miller was actually hired by Boston to get a job as a Yankee trainer and sabotage their season. Good thing Steinbrenner stepped in.