• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Are you a "bodybuilder"?

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Alright, I thought maybe I could stir up some opinions here.

As the title stated: Are You a BodyBuilder?

Well, are you? And if so, why? Many people say that you're are only a bodybuilder if you compete, otherwise you have not earned the title. Or, only a pro is a "real" bodybuilder.

What does everyone here think?

OK I will stir the pot a little more.

I was about to say that most people believe that to be a "bodybuilder" you have to compete. No!

Who ever decides to build up their body, no matter how they do it, is considered a body builder and my personal training books documents this.

I'm a non-competitive bodybuilder because I enjoy being in top shape and I think that a personal trainer, which I am, should reflect a certain image to his or her clients.

i agree with large that in i interprete the word bodybuilding as some one who does certain activities to transform there body from one shape to another. you do not even have to go to the gym to do this its just happens that the gym is the easist way to do it. i would say lots of people are BB with out realising it. eg when they go training for sport and are putting on weight they are BB's but would not call themselves BB's.
but if i taking to a friend i would use term of a BB as some one who goes to the gym to build up there bodies and look goo(or bad depends on your views).
but one thing annoys me is that if you say you are a BB they expect you to look like arnold but if they say they are footballer tno one ever expects you to be like pele(soccer) or dan marino (i live in the uk and that the only american footballer i know of).

Why not! You play football so you are a football player. Allot of people aren't open to this concept though. They think that if you say you do something like play football, they automatically think that it's at the professional level.

My true opinion on this, and I know people will disagree!....is that you're not a bodybuilder unless you are competitive. You don't have to be a pro, just actively competing. Otherwise, you are just a person that "bodybuilds".

The reason I say this is because I think that you have to earn the right to a title.
It would be like anyone that does something giving themselves a title. Example, someone that plays on the company baseball team once a week. I would not call him/her a baseball player. They play baseball recreationally, but that's all.
biggrin.gif

Anyone else have an opinion here?

prince - if some sits on the arse all day watching TV and drink beer and eat chips, cookies does no house work and never washes are they a slob?
or do they have to enter the slob games to qualify for being a slob? there is a award for the biggest slob in the UK or something of a similar title. or are they a recreational slob?
who do you have to compete with? can i have have a biggest bicep flex competetion with my freind? does this mean i compete at bodybuilding, its at a low level but its competition. this was a competition governed by the world bodybuilding body dismorphia rule book known by me and my freind who does not do any weight training or exercise but it was still a bodybuilding competion(i did win by a long way as he does not train).
i enjoy a good philosphically argument. as this unlike most other question on diet and training there is a right or wrong answer.
i hope i gave some good arguments to try to change your mind.
if you disagree with my statement i will think of some better scenrios mainly as i am off work and the TV is poor so i have nothing better to do.

Prince, first of all good question! I have asked myself the very same question. I lift for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. So, what does that make me? Am I a weightlifter or a bodybuilder? I guess my view of myself is both but to me to be considered a bodybuilder there is more too it than just working out. Competition is not one for me but diet and being able to be steady and making gains is.
You said if a person plays baseball once do you call him a ballplayer? No not in my book, but if someone simply chooses not to compete but puts in time and effort through out the year, yes they are a bodybuilder.
If I paint but choose not to sell my paintings am I not still an artist. The key is are your paintings good enough to sell? Just a thought.
For those of you that are wondering, I am becoming a bodybuilder now that I think about it, my painting is not quit ready for sale YET! Harms

The day someone comes up to me and says to me, "your huge, you must be a body builder" (hasn't happened yet) then I'm a body builder.
Right now I would consider BB to be a hobby for me as I do it for self fulfillment not for profit.

IML Gear Cream!
Yea....ooookay everyone just calls me a weight lifter here,and TV aint worth watching here either.

i think that a bodybuilder is a person who takes building his/her body seriously. as far as competing goes i compete with myself everyday in the gym to become a better bodybuilder than i already am.
if a person works out say 5 days a week, weighs 250 and has 4%body fat, diets and the whole 9 yards but doesnt ever enter a comp is he not a bodybuilder?

this is a good question and i have changed my mind a few times, but i think if someone is serious about lifting and diet he dosen't have to compete to be called a bodybuilder. if someone competes then they deserve the title as a competitive bodybuilder.

------------------
LESS IS MORE

I know that anyone who really wants it and has dreams and gives every ounce of his energy in the weight room is the real bodybuilder. The person who is dedicated, the person who loves to do it, the person who wants to play with the big dogs, the person with the most determination. Thats the real body builder.

------------------
Got Muscle?

If you strive to bulid your body through self discpline,perseverance and all the other traits it takes to change one's body then you are one.

MOP.

Lets take a look in the dictionary.

• Bodybuilder n : someone who does special exercises to develop the musculature.
    [/list=a]

Personally though I think being referred to as a "Bodybuilder" has a better ring to it than some guy who lifts weights, also does something for your self-esteem
    smile.gif

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Scotty the Body
The day someone comes up to me and says to me, "your huge, you must be a body builder" (hasn't happened yet) then I'm a body builder.
Right now I would consider BB to be a hobby for me as I do it for self fulfillment not for profit.

I'm still waiting for someone to say "YOUR HUGE" :(

Bodybuilder is someone who actually BUILDS up their body makes it bigger and stronger, not someone who just keeps in shape. Its a real joke when gym rats call themselfs bodybuilders, cause they havent acomplished crap, year after year they go in the gym and walk out looking exactly the same, nothing has been BUILT therefore not everyone who lifts weights is a bodybuilder

I would love to know what this guy did to get banned. From reading his old posts before and now, didn't seem like a bad guy??

And Scotty bro......You are HUGE dude!!

LoL@ Scotty!!!! :)

YOUR HUGE!!

Originally posted by dg806
I would love to know what this guy did to get banned. From reading his old posts before and now, didn't seem like a bad guy??

Its an old story now that I think we'd all like to leave behind us. I don't talk to him much anymore but still consider him a freind an a good hearted person.

Originally posted by Scotty the Body

It sounds much better comming from a women!! :D hehehe

hahahaha!! I thought you would like that! ;)

Originally posted by dg806

well of course, he used to be a moderator here, so his old posts are going to be decent.

to be honest with you I really do not want to rehash the story with LAIC....that was not the point of bumping this old thread.

Back