• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

shrugs question

dnich

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Is the smith machine ok for shrugs or are dumbbell and barbells better?

Dumbells and Barbells all the way, 'keep away from the Smith machine!'

Free weights are always better than any machine, IMO.........Peace.

Ok thanks i appreciate it alot. Have a good day

I wouldnt over-do any type of shrugs, but the only thing the Smith is good for is as a coat rack or Supine Rows, lol.

Stick with the free-weights, Samo = 100% correct.

I use a hammerstrength shrug machine at my gym. I think it works great, but if it's being used I do DB shrugs.

I don't like using the smith machine because it is guided. It's ok as far as proper form goes...but I'd rather use a barbell or dumbell. There's none I really prefer. I switch it up between barbell and dumbell

I prefer barbell shrugs, even over dumbells. I'll change it up every now and then but nothing beats barbell shrugs for my traps.

IML Gear Cream!
I do barbell shrugs on the squat rack. My traps exploded when I stopped doing dumbbell shrugs, and switched to barbell. I also use straps for shrugs so I can focus on working my traps rather than my grip. For many people, their traps are just going to be stronger than their hands, so it is stupid to not to, in my opinion.

Last time I did DB shrugs, I couldnt go heavy cuz of the fatigue I had already gotten from my workout, but I also didnt use straps to give myself a lil bit of grip strength work.

Id like to use straps so I can shrug heavier weight, but with the all the other lifts I do, I wonder if its going to make that much of a difference.

I guess the only sure way around it is to cycle intensity. One week 10-12 reps. Another week, 8-10 reps.

when doing barbell shrugs do you think bar behind or bar in front is best??

Bar in front. I can't think of a reason to hold the par behind your back other than to prevent the bar from bumping into your balls when you come down with the bar.

Plus, traps are a back muscle...so why not put the weight in the back?

Because it's not safe? Similar to Behind The Neck Presses.

The hazards of the smith are well known. Why not just stick to what works? DB's give more options for how to do a shrug anyway imho.

Personally I shrug with a bar, in front. Its worked for me.

IML Gear Cream!
I use a smith machine for mine from time to time. Its not like the machine can mess with form. Like A said its straight up and down.

Theres just not enough movement in the shrug itself to put Smith in the shitty category on this one. Kinda sad to only give credit to the Smith on an exercise like this, but... :shrug:

My eternal suggestion would be to do DB shrugs, BB shrugs, Hise Shrugs...and if theyre all taken up, the Smith Machine.

Hammer Strength makes a machine for them...but I always hated it. I see assholes using the Ground Based Squat Machine for shrugs all the time instead of for legs. Eh..

I normally dont do shrugs unless my traps seem like they are lagging and as of late they are lagging big time! So yeah I have been doing them on the smith.

Yep....I did em yesterday and I am sore as shit today.....but I also did heavy ass hypers as well.

I've never done traditional shrugs before but I like overhead shrugs and lying shrugs.

Never thought of 'overhead' shrugs before.......Are they any good?

A nice little combo is shrugs behind the back on a smith , followed immediatly with seated rows , but instead of pulling to your stomach, pull to your upper chest and squeeze your .ur upper back/traps super hard.

A nice little combo is shrugs behind the back on a smith , followed immediatly with seated rows , but instead of pulling to your stomach, pull to your upper chest and squeeze your .ur upper back/traps super hard.

I've tried this before and used a rope pulley and it was a really good workout

Never thought of 'overhead' shrugs before.......Are they any good?
They're infinitely better shoulder health and you work a lot of stabilizing muscles (core included), making it a far more functional exercise. The downside is that they're quite a bitch to properly execute and I think they're a bit less optimal for building mass, but it's an isolation exercise anyway.

Dumbells and Barbells all the way, 'keep away from the Smith machine!'

Free weights are always better than any machine, IMO.........Peace.

I agree, but if the only thing available is the Smith, then it isn't exactly a bad alternative. Not that my gym is short on equipment, just that the people using the equipment are sometimes in the shallow end of the gene pool. Granted that this is not true in most cases, but there certainly have been days (I'm the new one and I can already say that some of them scare me with the way they lift - injury is knocking).

Back