• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Movement speed

Josh

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
In my experience, in some exercises, I am not able to maintain a consistent speed of the movements. For instance, just this morning I did leg extension. In my first few reps I could maintain the same speed of movement, going up probably in 2 secs, held the weight while contracting the quads a bit, and then going down probably in 2 secs. But after a few reps, as my quads were burning, I tended to go up quicker, while still able to hold and went down slowly. A few more reps, I needed to go up very quickly, unable to hold, and quickly went down. Now I think this change of movement speed within a set is understandable, since the muscle must be going weaker and weaker to maintain a consistent speed, especially when it's slow. But my question is, should this be considered as a valid set? Should I just end the set when I am no longer able to maintain a consistent speed? Or should I continue eventhough the speed is getting faster and faster?

- Josh

Then the weight your using is too heavy to maintain that slow of a speed. Keep tension on the muscle, and don't use alot on the leg extention anyway, thats a finishing movement, and you don't want to kill your knees.

Are you saying that in general a consistent speed of movement must be maintain throughout a set, for the set to be considered a valid set?

How about leg curl exercise, I seem to have the same problem with this (getting faster and faster movements in order to finish the set). Does this mean I've been using too much weight as well? Is this considered a finishing exercise as well?

- Josh

If you want to mantain the exact same speed, then you would have to use a weight light enough that it might actually be easy the first couple reps.

People still argue about rep speed, I use what I like, and others have thier own beliefs as well. Leg curls are one of the only ways to directly target the leg biceps (I use stiff legged deadlifts too, but thats not direct), so I wouldn't say its exactly the same. One of the articles on the front page recommends mixing position and speed for leg biceps however, give it a look over sometime.

I at the moment spend more time per rep than you do, not sure when the next change is.

leg curl is different. for maximum strength gains and to stimulate hypertrophy you must use a long time under tension (TUT) during the eccentric portion of the exercise.

Back