Wisdom teeth....and absesses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Registered User
    RasPlasch's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,043

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    2157604

    Wisdom teeth....and absesses.

    I went the the dentist today and they took X-Rays. The found that I have only one wisdom tooth and one tooth that is a mix between a wisdom tooth and a regular maular. But in the X-ray they think they might have found an absess....what is this? What do they do to fix an absess? My other question is how was getting your wisdom teeth pulled? Did it hurt? Please tell me your experience.

  2. #2
    Lift or Die
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,588

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10178302

    An abscess is an internal infection. It grows under the tooth. In the old days people often died from this. People still die from abcsessed teeth.

    I've been hit in the head with a 2x4, a tire iron, and sucker-punched with a full beer bottle. I've been hit by a car. I've crashed a motorcycle doing 65 mph breaking several bones in the process including my right scapula, my right foot, my left hand, and several ribs (I also pissed blood for three days). I've been shot AND stabbed.

    N-O-N-E of these things were as painful as getting my wisdom teeth removed. The roots of wisdom teeth are long and tend to be very well anchored. My wisdom teeth had to be broken with a dental hammer and a dental chisel then the broken chunks had to be dug out. The dentist had to put his foot up on the dental chair as he wrenched and pulled the chunks out. When we were all done he was covered in my blood. The deep bone level pain lasted for six days before it began to subside. I wished I was dead ... often. I developed a very close and personal relationship with morphine.

    Other than that it wasn't too bad.

  3. #3
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18,600

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rep Points
    84240527


    How old were you BC? It is usually a more painful situation the older you get.

    I had mine out when I was 18. It was a 20 minute surgery and I felt fine, actually happy, afterwards. That was because of the drugs. About a half hour later I had the worst headache of my life. I bled alot. Besides the changing of dental gauze all day and the horrible headache, it wasn't really that bad. The biggest thing I worried about was the actual procedure, and that was cake.

    You are 17, it should be fine. Just make sure you have some ibuprofin on hand and have a nice quiet place to recoop. Also have some ice packs on hand.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  4. #4
    Metrosexual
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,605

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1863073860


    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    An abscess is an internal infection. It grows under the tooth. In the old days people often died from this. People still die from abcsessed teeth.

    I've been hit in the head with a 2x4, a tire iron, and sucker-punched with a full beer bottle. I've been hit by a car. I've crashed a motorcycle doing 65 mph breaking several bones in the process including my right scapula, my right foot, my left hand, and several ribs (I also pissed blood for three days). I've been shot AND stabbed.

    N-O-N-E of these things were as painful as getting my wisdom teeth removed. The roots of wisdom teeth are long and tend to be very well anchored. My wisdom teeth had to be broken with a dental hammer and a dental chisel then the broken chunks had to be dug out. The dentist had to put his foot up on the dental chair as he wrenched and pulled the chunks out. When we were all done he was covered in my blood. The deep bone level pain lasted for six days before it began to subside. I wished I was dead ... often. I developed a very close and personal relationship with morphine.

    Other than that it wasn't too bad.
    I'll second that.

    I've been hit by two cars, been caught in a rock avalanche, fractured my tibia and walked (and climbed) on it for miles, had temperatures in excess of 105 degrees on three occasions, almost drowned (taking some water into my lungs), took a blow to the head hard enough to put me into a coma, had someone tug on my internal organs, and sat through the first half of An Inconvenient Truth.

    And the worst pain I've ever experience was in a dentist's chair.

  5. #5
    Lift or Die
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,588

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    How old were you BC? It is usually a more painful situation the older you get.

    I had mine out when I was 18. It was a 20 minute surgery and I felt fine, actually happy, afterwards. That was because of the drugs. About a half hour later I had the worst headache of my life. I bled alot. Besides the changing of dental gauze all day and the horrible headache, it wasn't really that bad. The biggest thing I worried about was the actual procedure, and that was cake.

    You are 17, it should be fine. Just make sure you have some ibuprofin on hand and have a nice quiet place to recoop. Also have some ice packs on hand.
    I was around 30 because my son was still in diapers but had just started to walk. He knew I was miserable and kept coming over and hugging me.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    RasPlasch's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,043

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    2157604

    Well Im young compared to when you had yours done....so I will hope that my procedure isn't as bad. Haha.

  7. #7
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    14,919

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1115136028


    You guys might want to wipe off your vaginas.



    I had my wisdom teeth pulled and I thought the ordeal was pretty cool. They shot me up with novocaine and went to town. My dentist did just as BC said and stuck his foot on the chair to get more leverage. He twisted one way, then the other, then pulled one out. I saw a stream of blood shoot out of my mouth. He then stuck some gauss in and went to work on the other. All in all, the whole extraction took 10 minutes. The dentist commented on how easy the procedure went, and that it never goes that smoothly. I have talked to other friends with nightmare stories, but mine wasn't bad at all. I can't take pain medicine, it makes me sick to my stomach, and I never needed any. The holes in my jaw healed up in 2 days, and I could eat solid food by day 3.
    Fucking Determined!

  8. #8
    Cleaner
    Hoglander's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Vostok Antartica
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,082

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    17240114

    I had 2 removed 2 months ago. I refused to have them out as a teen. I just asked them to work with it and they did, as it related to braces.

    One of the teeth started to reabsorb in the last few years. It's like when you are a kid and the baby tooth below the gum dissolves, it's rare. I finally gave in and got that tooth out, as well as the one below because it wouldn't have a tooth to contact with thus making it useless.

    So I got dry socket(a very very very not lucky situation) in the lower tooth's hole. It hurt bad for 3 weeks. I could still function but it was a struggle not to let the pain show at work. From my perspective if I know it isn't killing me I get through pain ok. I've had worse but sometimes you don't have a choice and have to suck it up to get better. It still sucks though.

    : (

    Good luck I hope it goes well.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    RasPlasch's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,043

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    2157604

    I've heard of people getting put under when getting there wisdom teeth pulled. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

    I read online that if I do have an abscess I might have to get a root canal. My mom said those are hell to get, she has had several performed on her.

    Does anyone have any experience with those?

    Thanks for your wisdom teeth stories. Through my life I have heard more stories that claim getting the wisdom teeth pulled "isn't as bad as it sounds" then stories that are like BoneCrushers and Doms. So I still have my hopes up for a not as bad as I think dental procedure.

  10. #10
    Cleaner
    Hoglander's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Vostok Antartica
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,082

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    17240114

    Dude, I was so slammed I couldn't remember nearly the whole day. You won't really be totally under like to the point you need a catheter(you don't want one). You will be pretty well plastered with a drug that basically gives you amnesia. You won't even know what happened.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    RasPlasch's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,043

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    2157604

    Alright haha, thats what I was hoping for.

  12. #12
    Cleaner
    Hoglander's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Vostok Antartica
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,082

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    17240114

    Tell your doctor, "I don't want to know even what happened."

    That way they will give you more. ; )

  13. #13
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18,600

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rep Points
    84240527


    Quote Originally Posted by RasPlasch View Post
    I've heard of people getting put under when getting there wisdom teeth pulled. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

    I read online that if I do have an abscess I might have to get a root canal. My mom said those are hell to get, she has had several performed on her.

    Does anyone have any experience with those?

    Thanks for your wisdom teeth stories. Through my life I have heard more stories that claim getting the wisdom teeth pulled "isn't as bad as it sounds" then stories that are like BoneCrushers and Doms. So I still have my hopes up for a not as bad as I think dental procedure.

    I was put under. About 30 seconds after they injected me I was out.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Gordo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    O' Canada...stuck in the middle of you
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,084

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    923188

    I remember it fondly. I had all 4 taken out at once. The whole experience was 1.5 hours (good thing he charged by the job and not the hour). That bastard was sweating when it was done. He said he'd never seen roots so hooked before. The whole experience of listening to crunching, drilling and whatever the fuck else they do was magnified in my head.

    Weird thing was swelling was minimal (because it continued to bleed through the night). I took T3's for the first day and didn't need then after that.

    I'm also slightly immune to freezing, it takes 2x the amount before I'm numb. So they really shot me up with novocaine and my lips didn't work for hours after. The drooling was pretty funny.
    "If you don't bend those legs and do those squats, you'll never reach your potential."
    Paul Anderson

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    18,558

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    66150743


    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    You guys might want to wipe off your vaginas.



    I had my wisdom teeth pulled and I thought the ordeal was pretty cool. They shot me up with novocaine and went to town. My dentist did just as BC said and stuck his foot on the chair to get more leverage. He twisted one way, then the other, then pulled one out. I saw a stream of blood shoot out of my mouth. He then stuck some gauss in and went to work on the other. All in all, the whole extraction took 10 minutes. The dentist commented on how easy the procedure went, and that it never goes that smoothly. I have talked to other friends with nightmare stories, but mine wasn't bad at all. I can't take pain medicine, it makes me sick to my stomach, and I never needed any. The holes in my jaw healed up in 2 days, and I could eat solid food by day 3.
    Ditto. I was actually eating solid foods that day. Just chewed at the front of my mouth.





Similar Threads

  1. Damn wisdom teeth
    By danzik17 in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
  2. Wisdom Teeth out
    By AirCartman in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 02:37 AM
  3. getting wisdom teeth pulled...
    By thajeepster in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
  4. Getting wisdom teeth out...
    By Seanp156 in forum Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 11:06 AM
  5. Wisdom Teeth
    By bulletproof1 in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2017 IronMag® Bodybuilding Forums