My Quest for 405

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1618
  1. #1
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    My Quest for 405






    OK, I want to bench 405 pounds. I want to deadlift over 500 and I want to squat at least what I can bench, lol, but 405 would be fine for now

    This is my attempt at getting there.

    I will be using a westside template, a more basic version of it, to see if that helps. There are so many possibilities to use with westside, that I think some times people get caught up in too many things and stray away from the basics of the template.

    My schedule will be flexible based on each week, but its your standard ME bench, ME squat/DL, and DE bench and DE squat DL. Probably will not be using box squats on dynamic day, opting for regular full squats. I want to squat a lot, but also FULL squat a lot, not the wide stance parallel powerlifting stuff. I don't plan on competing, so it won't matter much to me.

    July 20

    ME Bench

    Incline bench press
    135 x 8
    185 x 3
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    315 x 1
    325 x 1
    295 x 1
    295 x 1
    295 x 1
    *The plan for my max effort lifts is to work up to a max set, hopefully a new 1RM each week, and then do 3 lifts at 90% of the max for that day to complete the max effort work

    JM Press
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
    155 x 10
    *1st time doing these, I think I did them right, I felt all the stress in my elbows and lower tris, I have read if you feel it there, you are doing them good. Today was high volume, low intensity tricep day. Will do close grip benches on DE day with a lot more weight and a lot less reps.

    Chest Supported Rows
    160 x 8
    160 x 8
    160 x 8
    160 x 7
    160 x 6

    DB front raises
    30 x 10

    DB side laterals
    30 x 10

    DB rear laterals
    30 x 10
    Last edited by Stewart14; 07-20-2007 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #2
    End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER
    Triple Threat's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lost
    Posts
    11,276
    Rep Points
    74191663

    Good start. Any idea what your current 1 RMs are?

  3. #3
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    Good start. Any idea what your current 1 RMs are?
    No idea. The last "big 3" lift that I did was the bench press and it had to be a good 2 months ago, so I don't know if that 365 still stands.

    the only other maxing I have done lately was the rack pulls from the other day.

    Just guessing, I would use these numbers to figure out the dynamic work and stuff:
    bench--350
    squat--now this is tricky since I never attempted a max full squat before, so based on my last session of 8x3 at 255, I would guesstimate my max here at between 275-295.
    deadlift--based on my last 6x3 session at 385, I would put my max at somewhere between 430-450.

    so this is good....it gives me a ways to go to get to my goals, I really want that 405 bench badly though.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    katt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,400
    Rep Points
    29652394

    Good luck with reaching the 405!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    the other half's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    northwest
    Posts
    1,715
    Rep Points
    8136875

    so u r the one that told katt about the rack pulls. thanks, r u trying to kill me that is some pretty good weights that u r pushing, i dont know if i ever want to lift that heavy. maybe 10 years ago.

    good luck!!!!!
    "katt's spotter"
    " its not how much u can benchpress. its how much other people think u can." bob chicherillo

  6. #6
    cat burglar
    Bakerboy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    the city of champions
    Posts
    4,126
    Rep Points
    3214958

    Good luck Stewart!
    No strength within, no respect without - Kasmiri Proverb

  7. #7
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by the other half View Post
    so u r the one that told katt about the rack pulls. thanks, r u trying to kill me that is some pretty good weights that u r pushing, i dont know if i ever want to lift that heavy. maybe 10 years ago.

    good luck!!!!!
    hehe, I take it I know who you are based on your name . What's wrong with rack pulls?? They are fun and they kick the crap out of your back, but they are totally less stressful than regular deads.

    Thanks for the good luck wishes, I will need them.

  8. #8
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    thanks katt and BB.....


    I actually predict that I will reach my goal on the deadlift first...just a hunch...but we'll see

  9. #9
    TEAM AY
    JerseyDevil's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Under a barbell
    Posts
    9,130
    Rep Points
    284121247

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart20 View Post
    Incline bench press
    135 x 8
    185 x 3
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    315 x 1
    325 x 1
    295 x 1
    295 x 1
    295 x 1
    Just when I get feelin' good about my incline press, I see this crap .

    Good job Stewart. I think I am more impressed with incline pressing strength then with flat bench. Because of the odd angle you are forced to control the weight.

    You WILL hit that 405 my friend .

  10. #10
    High Intensity Freak
    ELITE MEMBER
    King Silverback's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Intensity Island
    Posts
    10,467
    Rep Points
    3135202

    Excellent w/o Brother 20, Best Wishes on your new routine, you'll DEFINATLY get that my Friend!!!
    "I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

    "For NOTHING is impossible with GOD" - Luke 1:37

  11. #11
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Just when I get feelin' good about my incline press, I see this crap .

    Good job Stewart. I think I am more impressed with incline pressing strength then with flat bench. Because of the odd angle you are forced to control the weight.

    You WILL hit that 405 my friend .
    thanks JD.....nothing to be ashamed about with your pressing, plus, unless everyone did their inclines on the same bench, you never really know how good or bad you are doing compared to others cause the angles on all these benches are different, and obviously, the smaller the angle, the "easier" it becomes. My bench at home is set to about 30 degrees, it is definitely not as steep as the standard ones in most gyms, so I imagine you are using at least a 45 degree bench, so give yourself some credit, that makes things harder, I don't think I could've hit 325 on a 45 degree bench.

  12. #12
    End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER
    Triple Threat's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lost
    Posts
    11,276
    Rep Points
    74191663

    Quote Originally Posted by the other half View Post
    so u r the one that told katt about the rack pulls. thanks, r u trying to kill me that is some pretty good weights that u r pushing, i dont know if i ever want to lift that heavy. maybe 10 years from now.
    I fixed it for you.

  13. #13
    End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER
    Triple Threat's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lost
    Posts
    11,276
    Rep Points
    74191663

    I don't like the fixed incline bench in my gym. I use an adjustable incline bench at about 25-30 degrees and do them in the benching cage.

  14. #14
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    I don't like the fixed incline bench in my gym. I use an adjustable incline bench at about 25-30 degrees and do them in the benching cage.
    that's the only way to go if you have access to that stuff. the fixed incline, you might as well just go for a military press.

  15. #15
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    I just looked at your gallery. Damn! You're freakin' built!


  16. #16
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,500
    Rep Points
    68710456

    Damn your last max numbers are close to mine.

    Why the fuck does someone always start a max strength journal when I start a cutting journal.

    I always wanted 405. I figured if I lifted that much weight naturally, I am about above the "above average" gym rat.

    Think about it...anyone whos lifted for years and has put on size is around the 275-315lb bench mark. So anyone that does 405 has gone even farther and thus makes EVERYONE envious.


    When I saw my friend Jason bench 405, I was thinkg guess I have to join the marines to get that shit.... But he was juicing. :o
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  17. #17
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Damn your last max numbers are close to mine.

    Why the fuck does someone always start a max strength journal when I start a cutting journal.

    I always wanted 405. I figured if I lifted that much weight naturally, I am about above the "above average" gym rat.

    Think about it...anyone whos lifted for years and has put on size is around the 275-315lb bench mark. So anyone that does 405 has gone even farther and thus makes EVERYONE envious.


    When I saw my friend Jason bench 405, I was thinkg guess I have to join the marines to get that shit.... But he was juicing. :o
    benching 4 plates has to be one of the more impressive things one can do in the gym. I know I can't squat for shit, but seriously, are you that impressed by a 450 squat or a 500 deadlift? Obviously, those are nice numbers and unattainable by the majority of gym goers, but out of all the people who lift, maybe 10% can squat and deadlift those numbers, but maybe only 5% or less can bench 405, and those are all the powerlifters and people on juice.

    Besides the fact that it would be quite amazing for me to do it, condsidering when I was 22 years old I weighed about 145 soaking wet, and the thought of benching even 2 plates was a challenge at the time.

    The reason why I haven't done it yet, is probably because it took so damn long to just get to where I am now, and then I say to myself, well, I can bench press 365 pounds, maybe now it's time to go down to 315 and do a lot of reps with it, which is pretty cool. so then I train for reps at a lower weight and lose my max ability, and it's just a cycle that keeps going. To get to 405, I really need to just break the cycle---easier said then done...

  18. #18
    TEAM AY
    JerseyDevil's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Under a barbell
    Posts
    9,130
    Rep Points
    284121247

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart20 View Post
    I imagine you are using at least a 45 degree bench, so give yourself some credit, that makes things harder, I don't think I could've hit 325 on a 45 degree bench.
    I know the incline benches you guys are talking about. Those would tear up my shoulders. Nope, I'm lucky. The one I use is a fixed 30 degrees.

    thumb_HAMMERSTRENGTH-OlympicInclineBench1.jpg

  19. #19
    End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER
    Triple Threat's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lost
    Posts
    11,276
    Rep Points
    74191663

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart20 View Post
    but seriously, are you that impressed by a 450 squat or a 500 deadlift? Obviously, those are nice numbers and unattainable by the majority of gym goers, but out of all the people who lift, maybe 10% can squat and deadlift those numbers, but maybe only 5% or less can bench 405, and those are all the powerlifters and people on juice....
    If done by a 300 lb person, then no, it wouldn't be all that impressive. But if someone weighing 225 nailed a 450 squat, and I mean a full squat, not one of those quarters that 90% of the gym crowd does, then yeah, I'd be impressed. Or maybe it's just because at the time that I train, there's no one touching those numbers. Not even close.

  20. #20
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    If done by a 300 lb person, then no, it wouldn't be all that impressive. But if someone weighing 225 nailed a 450 squat, and I mean a full squat, not one of those quarters that 90% of the gym crowd does, then yeah, I'd be impressed. Or maybe it's just because at the time that I train, there's no one touching those numbers. Not even close.
    I have never seen anyone in the gym do anything remotely close to a 4 plate squat or a 500lb deadlift. I have seen a guy bench 4 plates and a quarter before, but I always saw the guy bench, I never saw him do any lower body work.

    I guess I should reconsider my statement. When you are on weight training boards and surrounded by people who train, a double bodyweight squat doesn't seem as impressive because you come across a lot of people who can do it. But I guess if we have never seen it in person, maybe it is relatively rare and should be considered something impressive.

  21. #21
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,500
    Rep Points
    68710456

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    If done by a 300 lb person, then no, it wouldn't be all that impressive. But if someone weighing 225 nailed a 450 squat, and I mean a full squat, not one of those quarters that 90% of the gym crowd does, then yeah, I'd be impressed. Or maybe it's just because at the time that I train, there's no one touching those numbers. Not even close.
    Check M.J.H.s current journal. Perfect form too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Little View Post
    I guess I should reconsider my statement. When you are on weight training boards and surrounded by people who train, a double bodyweight squat doesn't seem as impressive because you come across a lot of people who can do it. But I guess if we have never seen it in person, maybe it is relatively rare and should be considered something impressive.
    Even on here you hardly see those numbers. camarosoup or whatever his name is did some outlandish weight. Other than that, most of the stronger people around here are still around the 350 range that are legitamite. Even still, here there are so many people from around the world, so it wouldnt surprise me of how many big lifters there are, but in a quiet town? You might be the strongest one.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  22. #22
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,500
    Rep Points
    68710456

    Holy shit, I just noticed your bench numbers on your entry is for a incline bench and not a flat bench. Thats pretty impressive, I dont think Ive ever touched anything over 300lbs on a incline.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  23. #23
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Check M.J.H.s current journal. Perfect form too!



    Even on here you hardly see those numbers. camarosoup or whatever his name is did some outlandish weight. Other than that, most of the stronger people around here are still around the 350 range that are legitamite. Even still, here there are so many people from around the world, so it wouldnt surprise me of how many big lifters there are, but in a quiet town? You might be the strongest one.
    thats the ticket...I am gonna move to a small town so I can call myself the "town's strongest man" !!

  24. #24
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Holy shit, I just noticed your bench numbers on your entry is for a incline bench and not a flat bench. Thats pretty impressive, I dont think Ive ever touched anything over 300lbs on a incline.
    I think I did a 315 incline press one time last year during a westside stint, but 325 is a personal best.

  25. #25
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    July 21

    Extra workout

    Close grip bench press
    225 x 10
    225 x 10
    245 x 10
    245 x 10
    * I wasn't satisfied with my tricep volume from yesterday, so I added some tricep work. Next week, I am gonna put the close grips on my ME workout day. Will do 3 or 4 sets of close grip bench and 3 sets of JM presses, both for 10 reps (low intensity)

  26. #26
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,500
    Rep Points
    68710456

    I remember I was doing 245lb close grip bench presses and it was the first time I was told by my friend Eric (hardgainer) that I had to be juicing. Nothing could convince him otherwise. Now I have a hard time with 185lbs...


    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart20 View Post
    I think I did a 315 incline press one time last year during a westside stint, but 325 is a personal best.
    Yeah thats pretty good. Chewie would be proud.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  27. #27
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I remember I was doing 245lb close grip bench presses and it was the first time I was told by my friend Eric (hardgainer) that I had to be juicing. Nothing could convince him otherwise. Now I have a hard time with 185lbs...
    .
    Maybe you should start juicing

  28. #28
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369

    July 22

    DE Squat/DL

    DE Squats (done as full squats)
    155 x 2 (10 sets)
    *Estimated my 1RM FULL squat as 315.

    SLDL
    275 x 6
    275 x 6
    275 x 6

    Pullups with V-Handle
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

    Leverage Squats
    320 x 8
    320 x 8

    Hypers
    BW+50 x 10
    BW+50 x 10

  29. #29
    TEAM AY
    JerseyDevil's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Under a barbell
    Posts
    9,130
    Rep Points
    284121247

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart20 View Post
    July 22

    DE Squat/DL

    DE Squats (done as full squats)
    155 x 2 (10 sets)
    *Estimated my 1RM FULL squat as 315.

    SLDL
    275 x 6
    275 x 6
    275 x 6

    Pullups with V-Handle
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

    Leverage Squats
    320 x 8
    320 x 8

    Hypers
    BW+50 x 10
    BW+50 x 10
    Good start. What is a leverage squat?

  30. #30
    Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stewart14's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my home gym
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Points
    7753369






    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Good start. What is a leverage squat?
    eh, the dynamic days are no big deal, they are done for a purpose. The ME workouts are the ones that are the big deals.

    This is a leverage squat:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. >*>The Quest<*<
    By ShreddedOatz in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
  2. My Quest To Cutting
    By PGT in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
  3. The quest to be my best
    By SuperFlex in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
  4. The Quest for Abs
    By Mavs in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 04:52 AM
  5. Mike's Quest
    By Mike_16_stud in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->