• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Shaq's competition?

Craft

Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What do you all think about this HUGE man coming into the NBA?

He'll probably be in Houston...

Yao Ming :scratch:

7'5" @ 296lbs, can this guy be the weapon a team needs to get past Shaq? Shaq has a good 50lbs on him, but I wonder if Houston (or whoever gets him) will bulk him up...

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy play in the NBA, I think for a big man he won't be a disappointment like so many big men turned out to be. ie. Bryant "Big Inbred" Reeves, I swear that man right there was the worst player to enter the NBA.

First of all its about a 19 lbs. weight advantage as seen at the same site: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/index.html?nav=page

Shaq is 315 lbs. Second, YAO MING does have a 4 inch height (7'1 Shaq vs. 7'5 Ming) advantage on Shaq but has yet to prove himself worthy of SHAQ DIESAL! Hopefully he does become a match for Shaq, But I highly doubt it, if you look at YAO's international play its not spectacular. Having said that, he is still young and has lots of time to develop his skills.

First of all I did read somewhere(and I'll track it down for your scientific needs if you really need me to!) that Shaq's playoff weight was in and around 340-350lbs, the NBA has him listed as 315lbs YES you are right with your findings, but it's inaccurate.
Also HAVING SAID THAT did you read anything in that article? The man was dominant in many ways, I think you're wrong John, but I'll wait for your URL's of proof or what have you, to prove me wrong...

Im not trying to aggravate you Craft, but if Shaq's weight is wrong then what makes you think that YAO's weight is right. Both players weights were found at the same site.

First off Shaq isnt near 315. Second Shaq will destory this guy when he comes in the league because of his experence. I mean how many superstars are in China? I could understand if this was baseball and we were talking about Japan but it is basketball.

Originally posted by john992
Im not trying to aggravate you Craft, but if Shaq's weight is wrong then what makes you think that YAO's weight is right. Both players weights were found at the same site.

i gotta agree with craft... even during the playoffs and the finals they were discussing shaqs weight and they talked to the center for the nets.(im lost for his name) about shaqs weight and he said the scale must have been completely wrong... i say craft is right about shaq being in 340ish and he actually looks it.. if they lied about yao mings weight it was probably lying to give him extra pounds, not take them away there is no way the difference between shaq and yao mings weight is only 19 pounds... you can see that in plain vision... science, websites or whatever sources you want to use, its obvious the weight differencial is more than 19 pounds... with that aside i still think shaq will dominate yao ming but after a few years yao ming will be a very worthy apponent.. especially if houston or whoever puts some weight and experience on him..

Im just going by what the stats said. Im not saying either of the weights are right or wrong, I never witnessed the weigh ins.

A question to you though: IF they are increasing YAO's weight to make him look more fierce why wouldnt they do the same for Shaq.

I totally agree that they add inches and pounds to individuals stats all the time. I doubt very much that they would subtract weight that just doesnt make sense.

The nets centre is Canadian born, Todd MacCulloch seen here: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/todd_macculloch/index.html?nav=page

well for them to increase YAO's weight for him to seem more fierce would make sense but on the same token... maybe they would decrease shaqs weight to make it seem like hes the same size, or closer to the sizes of the other centers in the league to make him seem even that much more stronger and more powerful and not base his dominance solely on weight advantage

In my opinion that is unlikely...Sports are all about having the upper hand...and pyschological tricks are one of the biggest ways to get an advantage over your opponent ie., trash talk, increase weight/height of players on roster cards etc. Having said that, lowering Shaq's weight for his own personal attributions to the game seems very doubtful.

IML Gear Cream!
Whether or not you want to accept it johnny boy, Shaq's weight is indeed around the 340's. It wasn't announced by a Laker affiliate or anyone trying to make Shaq seem more fierce to give them an advantage. I've heard it from announcers and I've read it in articles. Shaq weighs in around the 340-350lbs range. They could easily be going off an old weight for the NBA statistics, either way you've managed to make this thread go off on something it wasn't intended to be, for that, I say f*ck you.
All I was mentioning in regards to Yao's weight was speculation towards what the Houston Rockets or whoever gets him is going to do. You're right, they could have listed Yao's weight incorrectly as well. SIGH.

:fire:

WHy do you get so angry and lash out? I have yet to use offensive laguage yet you insist on doing so. I feel that this is just a friendly debate nothing to get all worked up about. Again, I must say, I respect every members opinion on the board.

I would just like to add that announcers often like to overexaggerate on many things including a players size to emphasize the magnitude of the players contributions to a game and/or series.

If they were going off old stats it might of been showing 301 lbs. as this was his weight for many years.

here we go..

well i did some surfing on the subject and found that ESPN has him listed at 335 here is the site

this in my opinion seems more plausible and espn is well recognized for accurate stats and for their overall knowlege of sports... i will also further search yao mings weight just so we're not basing al our stats on one source

enjoying the debate:thumb:

-Trey

tsn is in canada... i dont know if id trust tsn's opinion over espn's... however nba.com did list him as 315.. i was just bringing new light and a lil proof to craft's and my opinion.. ill keep searching

als here's another site.. this one puts yao ming at 295.. i dont know if anyone is really debating yao's weight but here it is
------>click me<------

Originally posted by john992
WHy do you get so angry and lash out? I have yet to use offensive laguage yet you insist on doing so. I feel that this is just a friendly debate nothing to get all worked up about.

I'll lash out where I feel it's needed.
I'll use offensive "language" when I feel it's necessary to do so.
You feel it's just a friendly debate, and that's great john, but you have a tendency to go about these debates in a strange and annoying way. You immediately got under my skin, and you continue to reside there.

Should I try to find some sort of Laker email or something johnny boy? Do I need to email someone or find something really concrete so you can finally STFU?
If this will make you go away, I'll get right on it.

I will say this Shaq has put on some weight since last year(2001-301lbs./2002 315-335 lbs.?), but I think it only hurt his game, he lost some quickness and speed. Having said that he still cant be beat.

IML Gear Cream!
well several sources agree on his weight being at 315.. probaby because several of thm have just used what the others have said.. but i will agree 315 or 350 he cant be beat..for now... yao ming is scrawny compared to shaq right now but theres nothing few years in the gym.. and the fridge :lol: cant fix and especially the years of experience because that to me is the most distinctive advantage shaq has.. not only hasshaq played longer.. hes played in america longer where competition is much stronger

Shaq has no competition, and Yao Ming will not change that. Ming will have about as much impact as Manute Bol and Shawn Bradley. Yao Ming has not been tested as a basketball player yet. He's going to get his ass kicked in the fast paced NBA.

Yao was indeed tested for his skills and abilities in a few NBA private sessions. I can say right now you're dead wrong "IMO" about him being the next Shawn Bradley or the next Manute Bol, that's just rediculous. Obviously you haven't watched any of the practice clips. He's got far far mroe talent than either one of those "I'm REALLY tall therefore I'm in the NBA no talent bigmen".
I guess none of us will see until the NBA is in full swing with Yao playing. I'd also like to add his first year won't be off the charts, but I say by his second year he'll do some serious damage to help whichever team gets him.
As far as taking Shaq down... I don't think Yao could do it, not right away anyways. As far as Yao being able to give Shaq a harder time than many many centers in the NBA, give him 2-3 years of NBA experience and he'll do just that. IMO.

I'm also thinking NBA scouts (including Jerry West) being some of the people who think Yao has a world of talent, something tells me they might be right. When Manute was entering the NBA, the hype wasn't anything like this and the same goes for Shawn Bradley. Neither one of those "bigmen" went #1 in the draft. Yao has a chance to go #1.
Again, we won't know until the season starts, but IMO he might struggle his first year, but give him 2-3 years in the NBA and watch how much he actually does contribute to whichever team gets him.
His stats internationally are quite impressive, once again unlike Shawn Bradley and unlike Manute.

Yao also isnt a tiny thin weakling like Shawn or Manute. He's not HUGE but he's not tiny either, and he has coordination going for him, something Shawn and Manute both lack bigtime.

Well, I'll believe the hype when I see him in some live NBA games. There have just been too many highly touted players that end up being busts, so I can't get too excited. It's one thing for him to face scout teams, but getting hammered on by Chris Webber, Alonzo Mourning, and Shaq is a little different.

I couldn't agree more. I'm trying not to get fired up about him or anyone else for that matter either, I know what you're saying.
Look at what Bryant "big fatass" Reeves, and what he did to my Vancouver Grizzlies! :fire:
I mean that guy right there was the worst ever bigman in the entire history of the NBA, I swear. I watched him live and let me tell you, I wanted to lace up and go take his position over!

LOL!! Bryant Reeves. "Big Country." He and Eric Montross ought to get together and talk about old times. :D

I hope Yao Ming lives up to the hype. I think it would be good for the NBA. They need a couple more dominant centers. Alonzo and Dikembe are on the way out. Shaq has not had competition since Patrick Ewing and Hakeem's careers started to wind down.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
He and Eric Montross ought to get together and talk about old times. :D

lmao!! Now that is funny... :lol:

I agree the NBA needs a new dominant center or two, hopefully one located in the East, they really need it. Dikembe is actually the sorta style I'm thinkin Yao might bring to the NBA, cept maybe a little more flashy/coordinated.

i think yao should go to the east... a possible playoff team in the east.. houston is in the west and if he lives up to the hype thats just another super power in the west to worry about....

about johns commentof "if shaqs weight was changed why not yao's?" well yao just came into america so of course his weigh ins are fresh and brand new where as shaq's weigh ins are maybe the begining of the year or even the summer and now he may have packed on some poundage over the year... espn, where he was listed at 335, has interviews with shaq year round and has several oppurtunities to weight him and what not... nba.com only weighs once in th begining of the year..

yeah it was nice to see shaq struggle with hakeem and ewing and barkley.... even the twin towers.. they did sweep lakers the first year of the downfall of the bulls.. id like to see shaq struggle a little with some professional athletes... not profesional actors (Divac):lol:

Back