• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

routine help, practical programming, texas method

noahfor

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've been lifting weights for about two years. I'm 5'8, 160 pounds. My long term goal is to just get as strong as I can possibly be. I'd like to try to get in to olympic lifting at some point, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Right now I'm training with a possible powerlifting competition in November in mind. It would be my first. I'd like to continue to compete for a while after that. I wouldn't be opposed to devoting my entire lifting career to powerlifting, but I'd at least like to try getting into olympic lifting at some point. If I had to choose, I'd rather be a high level olympic lifter (am I too old at 23?) than a high level powerlifter. Either way I'd be happy. I just like lifting weights. I'm also not trying to gain any weight.

I just read Practical Programming, and I'd place myself at the intermediate level. I can still make weekly progress. I've been using the texas method, and I guess I've been making progress with it. It's hard to tell because I'm using different sets and rep schemes than I've used before. I've been going up in weight every week, but I might have started a little low. It's hard to tell if the weights are personal records or not. But, my deadlift has been going down, which is why I think I need to change my routine a little, and I'd like a little help in doing that.

I know that the intermediate is supposed to use a wide variety of lifts, and that the routine is not supposed to be all that specific, but if I know that I am going to be competing in a few months should I start to make the routine more specific? I also need some help adding accessory lifts. I'm not sure where they fit into the routine. Wednesday is supposed to be a recovery day, but can I do assitance on Wednesday.

Here is what I am currently doing:

The same weight is used for all working sets of a certain exercise. I warm up, but I'm not write warm up sets. Also, for every exercise I'm using as much weight as I can do for the number of sets and reps that I'm doing, even on Wednesday. I've emboldened the main lifts, the other lifts are accessory.

Monday- High Volume, High Intensity - This is the main overload event of the week, which spurs progress.

High Bar Athletic Stance Full Squats: 5x5
Bench Press: 5x5
High Pulls: 7x2

Glute-Ham Raise: 3x8
Saxon Side Bends: 2x12(6 per side)

Wednesday- Low Volume, Low Intensity - The point of this day is to maintain motor pathways and get the blood pumping - active recovery.

Overhead Squats: 3x3
Standing Overhead Press: 2x5
Chin Ups: 2x5

Grip Work

Friday - Low Volume, High Intensity - The point of this day is to reinforce motor pathways and measure progress.

I switch between:
Deadlift: 1x1
and
Low Bar Wide Stance Parallel Squats: 1x3

Bench Press: 1x3

If I squatted:
Power Clean: 1x1

If I deadlifted:
Front Squat: 1x3

Reverse Hypers: 3x8
Standing Cable Crunches: 2x8

Is this a good for my goals, or should I be doing something different. My deadlift went down by 10 pounds from two weeks ago, so I know I need to be doing something differently. Everything else has been going up. I've also been getting advice from the owner of my gym, who is a pretty accomplished powerlifter, and he makes me think my routine should be alot more specific, with alot more accessory work.

Here is what I was thinking for a more specific routine:

Monday:
Low Bar Wide Stance Parallel Squats: 5x5
Bench Press: 5x5
Speed Deadlifts: 8x3

Wednesday:
Low Bar Wide Stance Parallel Squats: 2x5 @ 80% of Monday
Bench Press: 5x5 @ 80% of Monday
Bent Rows: 2x5

Friday:
Low Bar Wide Stance Parallel Squats: 1x3
Bench Press: 1x3
Something else?

It seems like this would require more accessory work. Anyway, does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Do you have perfect form on your olympic lifts?... If not you might cut those out and practice them with a broomstick/light weight to perfect the movement.

If you want to compete at a high level of olympic lifting you would have to gain a lot of size since you are "relatively" tall. For example Shane Hammon is 5'10" 360. If you notice, the compact midgets tend to dominate.

Doesnt seem like much volume to me, but hey Im not a powerlifter. Do you plan on tapering your bench down as you get closer to your powerlifting competition?

Do you have perfect form on your olympic lifts?... If not you might cut those out and practice them with a broomstick/light weight to perfect the movement.

That sounds like a good idea. There is no point in developing bad habits. I will probably substitute the speed deadlifts then.

Do you plan on tapering your bench down as you get closer to your powerlifting competition?

I hadn't planned on it, but I guess it would be a good idea to see where I'm at before the meet.

Thanks.

Back