NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Struggling

Thread: Struggling

FFG

Rep Points

Struggling

I'm really struggling at football right now, I play for my school's 6 man team and this is my very first year to play and coach has stuck me at starting center and I am getting my ass handed to me by anyone bigger than me, I am 5'10'' and 153lbs, I know your thinking I'm not the right size for center but in 6 man its different centers need to have lightning burst strength and I mean I don't have it basically the people my age and up weigh at least 30 lbs more and I know I just need to hit the weights harder but I've never trained for football and I am in need of help in making a *hardcore* workout to give me that lightning burst strength. Please help me out.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

your sisters better

Rep Points

sounds like your problem is mental. and do you not know the dirty lil tricks for linemen?
    5'7" 173lbsl squat:365x2 11/19/07 bench 225x3 1/11/08
    40 time: 4.51sec march 10th 07
    38" vertical

FFG

Rep Points

nah, not really all I know is to chop block but I can't do that all the time.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

your sisters better

Rep Points

ok one is to get your hands right under there shoulder pads and push the pads up into their wind pipe. can grab fingures and twist them. none of that is legal but who cares. i used to be a linemen untill i ended up becoming really fast. if your quicker then who your lined up against just knock them on their ass
    38" vertical

WantItBad

Rep Points

Being a small linemen you have to work your blocking technique is huge. Being small you are not gonna be able to out muscle people you will have to out technique them. Stay slow and keep your hands inside!
    "Strength is the product of struggle"

"Your greatest challenge isn't another person. Its the burning in your lungs and the burning in your legs, its the voice in your head screaming STOP you cant do anymore. But you dont listen. You push harder and you start to hear a the whisper of YOU CAN. You realize you are not the person you thought you were is no match for the person you are."

FFG

Rep Points

ok, and I've heard one cheap thing is when the D. linemen try to hit me in the chest with their hands, knock their hands away and smash them in the face with my helmet, have you heard of that at all?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

your sisters better

Rep Points

yes i have and i used to do that when i played DT and used my hands more when i got switched to DE/LB. can also be used on the OL if you want to use it
    38" vertical

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

seasons starts in a few weeks. Do what you can do. This is no time to launch a new training program or start doing stupid shit. You should have thought about this in the offseason. Suck it up, learn your lesson and get after it once the season is over.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

I agree with Pfunk... you should have started thinking about this earlier and you definitely shouldnt start some crazy stupid program while playing football. However I dont see anything wrong with starting a moderate program geared towards explosiveness (like you said you needed) and strength. If you keep it sensible and consistent you will see decent gains by the end of the season and will really be able to pick up the intensity from there once football is over.

Before my accident in high school I long jumped and I trained strength/plyos (needed explosiveness) during the offseason as well as during track season. I gained quite a bit on my long jump, which many could argue that my form got better, however I gained a few inches on my broadjump as well. So there is no reason not to start now (reasonably... did I say that enough) and reap the rewards towards the end of season and kick it up from there post-season.

FFG

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk View Post
    seasons starts in a few weeks. Do what you can do. This is no time to launch a new training program or start doing stupid shit. You should have thought about this in the offseason. Suck it up, learn your lesson and get after it once the season is over.
    If I would of known what I was going to be playing I would of thought of it but I had no clue that I would be put at center.
    - Theodore Roosevelt