• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

High Fructose Corn Syrup

GSXR750

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Can I have some opinions on this article below:
Please :)

Many people have concerns about the high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) used in the bars (and the solids used in the drinks). Even the HFCS is a matter of context. Contrary to some of the alarmist articles, HFCS is almost identical in composition to sucrose (approx. 50% fructose and 50% glucose). Yes, it is cheaper than sucrose and also has a better mouthfeel and texture which makes it a valuable product in appropriate uses. But, as always in nutrition, it is a matter of context. Like sugar, there is nothing inherently unhealthy or evil about HFCS itself. It is a matter of total diet and the context in which it is used. One reason it is often demonized is because it is now the sweetener used in sodas and fruit drinks (if we were still using sugar as we were in the 1970's, we would be having this conversation about the evils of sucrose). One of the reasons we are having diffulty with obesity and our excess calorie consumption may be due to the popularity of super-sized sodas and fruit-drinks. In this context, HFCS is a problem in the same way it would be if we were still using sucrose. But it isn't so much the fault of the ingredient as it is the way we are using it. Bottom line, 8-10 grams of HFCS in the context of an otherwise nutrient dense food product, is not the same issue as 220 grams of extra calories in a couple of non-nutritive "Big Gulps."

Also, it is not necessarily valid to use research about fructose and HFCS in the same breath. As stated before, HFCS is similar to sucrose in structure and metabolism, and much of this research has been confused and taken out of context.

As with anything in nutrition, dosage is the key. Whereas using saturated fats as a primary source of fats in the diet would be unhealthy, small amounts from a variety of sources can be used properly as a healthy blend of overall fat intake.

We continue to advocate common sense and variety and moderation in the diet. It is easy to use statistics and numbers to misinterpret the value of foods and ingredients. But, if people simply got more activity, ate less, and ate a balanced and varied diet, many of our current health concerns would be resolved.

Sounds like corporate propaganda.

I totally agree, thanks Big-D, I posted this for a buddy to watch. He is using a new product for weight loss. This is the response (via email) from them after I had him ask why the HFCS was so high in their product.

I'd say that a little is not bad, but I see way to much of it everywhere. I just try to stay away from it as much as I can.

They use High Fructose Corn Syrup for no other reason than its cost effective. They can try and say its this or that, but if it were the same price as a more health effective sweetener they wouldn't be using it.

It's shit.

I don't eat anything with HFCS in it, not even on a cheat.

I just find it very difficult to avoid all the time since it is in almost everything. Tell me, why do they have to use it in bread? Since when did bread need to be so complicated?

I just find it very difficult to avoid all the time since it is in almost everything. Tell me, why do they have to use it in bread? Since when did bread need to be so complicated?

That's why I eat sprouted grain bread.

Really, I avoid it period.

IML Gear Cream!

Just don't eat bread. Eat oatmeal instead...old fashioned or steel cut

Just don't eat bread. Eat oatmeal instead...old fashioned or steel cut

How do you eat your oatmeal? Just raw or do you cook it or mix it with something. I usually mix mine, but if I were replacing bread with it, I can't think of what I would mix it with.

Back