Solids vs liquids

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered User
    jhawkin1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    522
    Rep Points
    75532

    Solids vs liquids






    I recently had a chat with a nutritionist and he said that if I stay away from liquids and ate more solids that reaching my goal (a nice healthy six pack) would be quicker to attain. Obviously, the diet needs to be a clean diet, with lean proteins (chicken and turkey breasts, salmon, fish), healthy fats (almonds, fish oil capsules) and carbs (oats, oatmeal, brown rice). Is there any logic behind the "eating more solids" as opposed to liquids? I have 2-3 protein shakes a day (including one after my workout), and also LIQUID egg whites in the morning and sometimes during the day and at night. Should I stick with more of meats and fish instead of so many protein shakes? I'm trying to get rid of a little pudge I have at the bottom of my belly, but my diet is flawless. I was hoping this "liquid vs. solid" foods would do me right. Someone please chime in!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    1quick1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    79
    Rep Points
    10

    I have no hard proof of this but when I'm the leanest I've been in a couple years and all I've done is switch from 3-4 shakes a day to 1-2 shakes with more solid meals.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    18,563
    Rep Points
    66150743

    I think the thought process behind it is that the body needs to work more to digest the solid foods. I am just speculating.

    But in the end what it is going to come down to is Cals in vs Cals out.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    jhawkin1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    522
    Rep Points
    75532

    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    I have no hard proof of this but when I'm the leanest I've been in a couple years and all I've done is switch from 3-4 shakes a day to 1-2 shakes with more solid meals.
    I've changed my diet completely to lean meats as my protein sources the majority of the time. I will have a protein shake after a resistance training workout, but that's all. I stick with egg whites in the morning, chicken throughout the day, and some almonds with my salad at night (maybe with a few more egg whites). Huge difference.

  5. #5
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez
    LAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Las Vegas & Florida & St. Croix
    Posts
    16,355
    Rep Points
    962148245

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawkin1 View Post
    I recently had a chat with a nutritionist and he said that if I stay away from liquids and ate more solids that reaching my goal (a nice healthy six pack) would be quicker to attain. Obviously, the diet needs to be a clean diet, with lean proteins (chicken and turkey breasts, salmon, fish), healthy fats (almonds, fish oil capsules) and carbs (oats, oatmeal, brown rice). Is there any logic behind the "eating more solids" as opposed to liquids? I have 2-3 protein shakes a day (including one after my workout), and also LIQUID egg whites in the morning and sometimes during the day and at night. Should I stick with more of meats and fish instead of so many protein shakes? I'm trying to get rid of a little pudge I have at the bottom of my belly, but my diet is flawless. I was hoping this "liquid vs. solid" foods would do me right. Someone please chime in!
    the thermogenic effect of consuming whole foods is obviously greater than liquid nutrients. if you want to shed fat faster, eat more whole foods. I would limit protein shakes to pre/post workout and bedtime.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    jhawkin1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    522
    Rep Points
    75532

    Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    the thermogenic effect of consuming whole foods is obviously greater than liquid nutrients. if you want to shed fat faster, eat more whole foods. I would limit protein shakes to pre/post workout and bedtime.
    I've cut protein shakes out completely: post work outs im done with protein bars. all my lean meats are chicken throughout the day. a small amt. of almonds are great snacks. oatmeal is my fav. carb source.

  7. #7
    Trill
    DbLPLatinum89's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    115
    Rep Points
    7134

    u should keep a protein shake during post workout cuz ur body needs the nutrients ASAP!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    jhawkin1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    522
    Rep Points
    75532

    Quote Originally Posted by DbLPLatinum89 View Post
    u should keep a protein shake during post workout cuz ur body needs the nutrients ASAP!
    I find that the more I stay away from whey, the better i feel. I usually have an apple after an intense cardio workout 5 days a week with a few almonds, then about 30-45 minutes later, I have a huge protein meal: last night I went with two peices of tilapia which is 44 grams of protein with natural EFA's, and 2 servings of broccolli. then it was off to bed.

  9. #9
    Resident Porn Expert
    loki's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    dallas
    Posts
    105
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by DbLPLatinum89 View Post
    u should keep a protein shake during post workout cuz ur body needs the nutrients ASAP!
    yeah because the protein shake post work out helps you gain more muscle or lose more body fat than real food and you'll keel over from exhaustion if you don't. i can't remember the last time i've had a post workout shake. i stick with solid food and it has made no difference what so ever.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    danzik17's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Points
    62793096

    Which one is actually better, I have no idea. I personally live by the idea that your body is designed to be eating whole solid foods rather than drinking your nutrients down, so that's how I try to live. Basically if I have the choice, I would go solid.
    Ron Paul 2012

    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    243
    Rep Points
    10

    Interestingly, I got the same advice from my nutritionist, and it really seems to work. Besides, she told me to drink a glass of water with one teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar after cardio because lack of salt in form of sodium chloride can make your waist grow. I couldn't believe it, but she was right, of course.
    December 30, 2007: Body Weight: 75.8 Kg / 174.3 lbs Body Fat Percentage: 21.9%
    Current (January 13, 2008): Body Weight 66,7 Kg / 147.2 lbs Body Fat Percentage: 5.8%

  12. #12
    Registered User
    njc's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,890
    Rep Points
    215699626

    There are actually Candida cleanse programs where you are allowed specifically to eat any fruits but you CANNOT blend it and drink it, there reason being that you cannot eat highly refined carbs or sugars on the diets and that blending the fruit makes the sugar contained in them more like that.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    danzik17's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Points
    62793096

    Quote Originally Posted by njc View Post
    There are actually Candida cleanse programs where you are allowed specifically to eat any fruits but you CANNOT blend it and drink it, there reason being that you cannot eat highly refined carbs or sugars on the diets and that blending the fruit makes the sugar contained in them more like that.
    Have any sources for that?

    It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the shape of something doesn't change its contents, not without some other factor being added.
    Ron Paul 2012

    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    njc's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,890
    Rep Points
    215699626

    Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    Have any sources for that?

    It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the shape of something doesn't change its contents, not without some other factor being added.
    The plan that Im on right now states and thus I dont do it. The LifeForce book "Lifeforce" by Dr. Jeffrey McCombs states it. I'm not saying it dictates unfallible proof or anything and havent explored the matter much beyond the book and he doesnt speak of the phemomenon at the biochemical level but I did think it worth mentioning. Shape does mean A TON at the chemical level but yeah it doesnt seem that macro bond-breaking would effect micro in this fashion but like I said...I dont really know for sure.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    18,563
    Rep Points
    66150743

    Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    Have any sources for that?

    It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the shape of something doesn't change its contents, not without some other factor being added.
    Blending something up gives it more surface area allowing it to be digested quicker, and will enter the bloodstream quicker.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    danzik17's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Points
    62793096

    Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    Blending something up gives it more surface area allowing it to be digested quicker, and will enter the bloodstream quicker.
    Bah I forgot about that 3rd grade concept of surface area

    Makes more sense now then.
    Ron Paul 2012

    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    njc's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,890
    Rep Points
    215699626

    Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    Blending something up gives it more surface area allowing it to be digested quicker, and will enter the bloodstream quicker.
    yeah I forgot about that, that might be it

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Tatyana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK-just outside London
    Posts
    580
    Rep Points
    10






    This was in Scientific American September 2007

    Our bodies, physiology and biochemistry are a product of our evolution and human pre-history.

    Most of our existance, after we were weened, we drank water, which contains no calories.

    The theory goes that the body does not register liquid calories in the same manner as it does solid calories. If the body does not register calories, there is the lack of saiety.

    Also what Ian said, the thermogenic properties of food is important.

    I can't remember where I read this, but there is another theory, also related to the amount of time we have spent in hunting and gathering existance, that our bodies do not actually register calories per se, but a weight of food.

    If you merge these two postulations, that our body does not really register liquid calories, but the body will still want calories due to a certain weight, it does really fit that solid foods would work better.

    I rarely use whey as a shake (besides the fact most just taste watery in water, YUCK), but add them into my oats in the morning, or as another quick meal, mix a scoop into tofu yogurt or low fat plain yogurt (with or without natural peanut butter)

Similar Threads

  1. Research Chem Liquids
    By F1cTi0n in forum Research Chemicals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 05:06 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
  3. Fibre + liquids
    By jaim91 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 05:00 AM
  4. Healthy Liquids
    By OMNIFEX in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->