• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Solids vs liquids

jhawkin1

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I recently had a chat with a nutritionist and he said that if I stay away from liquids and ate more solids that reaching my goal (a nice healthy six pack) would be quicker to attain. Obviously, the diet needs to be a clean diet, with lean proteins (chicken and turkey breasts, salmon, fish), healthy fats (almonds, fish oil capsules) and carbs (oats, oatmeal, brown rice). Is there any logic behind the "eating more solids" as opposed to liquids? I have 2-3 protein shakes a day (including one after my workout), and also LIQUID egg whites in the morning and sometimes during the day and at night. Should I stick with more of meats and fish instead of so many protein shakes? I'm trying to get rid of a little pudge I have at the bottom of my belly, but my diet is flawless. I was hoping this "liquid vs. solid" foods would do me right. Someone please chime in!

I have no hard proof of this but when I'm the leanest I've been in a couple years and all I've done is switch from 3-4 shakes a day to 1-2 shakes with more solid meals.

I think the thought process behind it is that the body needs to work more to digest the solid foods. I am just speculating.

But in the end what it is going to come down to is Cals in vs Cals out.

I have no hard proof of this but when I'm the leanest I've been in a couple years and all I've done is switch from 3-4 shakes a day to 1-2 shakes with more solid meals.

I've changed my diet completely to lean meats as my protein sources the majority of the time. I will have a protein shake after a resistance training workout, but that's all. I stick with egg whites in the morning, chicken throughout the day, and some almonds with my salad at night (maybe with a few more egg whites). Huge difference.

I recently had a chat with a nutritionist and he said that if I stay away from liquids and ate more solids that reaching my goal (a nice healthy six pack) would be quicker to attain. Obviously, the diet needs to be a clean diet, with lean proteins (chicken and turkey breasts, salmon, fish), healthy fats (almonds, fish oil capsules) and carbs (oats, oatmeal, brown rice). Is there any logic behind the "eating more solids" as opposed to liquids? I have 2-3 protein shakes a day (including one after my workout), and also LIQUID egg whites in the morning and sometimes during the day and at night. Should I stick with more of meats and fish instead of so many protein shakes? I'm trying to get rid of a little pudge I have at the bottom of my belly, but my diet is flawless. I was hoping this "liquid vs. solid" foods would do me right. Someone please chime in!

the thermogenic effect of consuming whole foods is obviously greater than liquid nutrients. if you want to shed fat faster, eat more whole foods. I would limit protein shakes to pre/post workout and bedtime.

the thermogenic effect of consuming whole foods is obviously greater than liquid nutrients. if you want to shed fat faster, eat more whole foods. I would limit protein shakes to pre/post workout and bedtime.

I've cut protein shakes out completely: post work outs im done with protein bars. all my lean meats are chicken throughout the day. a small amt. of almonds are great snacks. oatmeal is my fav. carb source.

u should keep a protein shake during post workout cuz ur body needs the nutrients ASAP!

u should keep a protein shake during post workout cuz ur body needs the nutrients ASAP!

I find that the more I stay away from whey, the better i feel. I usually have an apple after an intense cardio workout 5 days a week with a few almonds, then about 30-45 minutes later, I have a huge protein meal: last night I went with two peices of tilapia which is 44 grams of protein with natural EFA's, and 2 servings of broccolli. then it was off to bed.

yeah because the protein shake post work out helps you gain more muscle or lose more body fat than real food and you'll keel over from exhaustion if you don't. :rolleyes: i can't remember the last time i've had a post workout shake. i stick with solid food and it has made no difference what so ever.

Which one is actually better, I have no idea. I personally live by the idea that your body is designed to be eating whole solid foods rather than drinking your nutrients down, so that's how I try to live. Basically if I have the choice, I would go solid.

IML Gear Cream!
Interestingly, I got the same advice from my nutritionist, and it really seems to work. Besides, she told me to drink a glass of water with one teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar after cardio because lack of salt in form of sodium chloride can make your waist grow. I couldn't believe it, but she was right, of course.

There are actually Candida cleanse programs where you are allowed specifically to eat any fruits but you CANNOT blend it and drink it, there reason being that you cannot eat highly refined carbs or sugars on the diets and that blending the fruit makes the sugar contained in them more like that.

There are actually Candida cleanse programs where you are allowed specifically to eat any fruits but you CANNOT blend it and drink it, there reason being that you cannot eat highly refined carbs or sugars on the diets and that blending the fruit makes the sugar contained in them more like that.

Have any sources for that?

It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the shape of something doesn't change its contents, not without some other factor being added.

It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the shape of something doesn't change its contents, not without some other factor being added.

The plan that Im on right now states and thus I dont do it. The LifeForce book "Lifeforce" by Dr. Jeffrey McCombs states it. I'm not saying it dictates unfallible proof or anything and havent explored the matter much beyond the book and he doesnt speak of the phemomenon at the biochemical level but I did think it worth mentioning. Shape does mean A TON at the chemical level but yeah it doesnt seem that macro bond-breaking would effect micro in this fashion but like I said...I dont really know for sure.

Blending something up gives it more surface area allowing it to be digested quicker, and will enter the bloodstream quicker.

Blending something up gives it more surface area allowing it to be digested quicker, and will enter the bloodstream quicker.

Bah I forgot about that 3rd grade concept of surface area :rolleyes:

Makes more sense now then.

yeah I forgot about that, that might be it

This was in Scientific American September 2007

Our bodies, physiology and biochemistry are a product of our evolution and human pre-history.

Most of our existance, after we were weened, we drank water, which contains no calories.

The theory goes that the body does not register liquid calories in the same manner as it does solid calories. If the body does not register calories, there is the lack of saiety.

Also what Ian said, the thermogenic properties of food is important.

I can't remember where I read this, but there is another theory, also related to the amount of time we have spent in hunting and gathering existance, that our bodies do not actually register calories per se, but a weight of food.

If you merge these two postulations, that our body does not really register liquid calories, but the body will still want calories due to a certain weight, it does really fit that solid foods would work better.

I rarely use whey as a shake (besides the fact most just taste watery in water, YUCK), but add them into my oats in the morning, or as another quick meal, mix a scoop into tofu yogurt or low fat plain yogurt (with or without natural peanut butter)

Back