Would you ever have different Rest Intervals for different days?

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Question Would you ever have different Rest Intervals for different days?

For instance, Upper's exercises have 30 - 90 sec RI, but Lower's exercises have 60 sec - 2 min exercises?

I enjoy doing upper body workouts with shorter rests, but I dont like doing lower body workouts with shorter rests. I dont have very big legs, nor are they strong as Id like them to do be, so I want to keep intensity high. At the same time, I dont care if I lose a little strength/size in my upper body right now (of course, I dont want a significant loss in muscle), but I would like to make the rest shorter.

Would this be an applicable process? Maybe even doing short rests with lower, long rests with upper on week 1, then long rest with lower, short rests with upper on week 2?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Remember that size and strength are different. With shorter RI's you may lose some maximal strength but improve conditioning and elicit hypertrophic affects depending on your diet. My RI's are about the same as my upper currently. I can understand increasing your RI's for lower body because you are engaging many more muscles so naturally it is more fatiguing on your system. It's relative.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Rep Points

My rest intervals are dependent on the weight being moved and not necessarily the bodypart location. Deads will have a longer RI than chins. Bench will also have a longer RI than chins. I will vary the RI depending on how my body feels that day. If i'm super pumped and have plenty of energy i may only rest long enough to add more weight to the barbell on deads. Other days it's approximately 1 minute or so. I typically don't go over a minute for any RI.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Remember that size and strength are different. With shorter RI's you may lose some maximal strength but improve conditioning and elicit hypertrophic affects depending on your diet. My RI's are about the same as my upper currently. I can understand increasing your RI's for lower body because you are engaging many more muscles so naturally it is more fatiguing on your system. It's relative.
    That alone is why I figured it was applicable.

Size and strength are different, but not opposite. If you have a shitload of strength, chances are, youre gonna have some size. And vice versa. However, extremities are really the only time I see the difference. E.g. Bodybuilders vs. powerlifters.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Smartass anthropologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Interesting. That goes against what I thought, but fufu knows far more than me. I would have thought that low RI's would cause loss of size - or at least in HIT type capacity.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by goob View Post
    Interesting. That goes against what I thought, but fufu knows far more than me. I would have thought that low RI's would cause loss of size - or at least in HIT type capacity.
    loss of size will really only happen when you are aren't eating enough calories. There are so many factors involved however.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.