• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Travelling Route 66

Mags

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys

A few mates and I are thinking of doing Route 66 in the summer of 2009.

I found one place on the web that sorts out your flights, taxes etc, all the accomodation on the way down, as well as car hire for the 21 day duration (we opted for a longer trip, so we didn't feel we had to rush or cram it all in). I also added a few more days to check out San Fran etc after finishing in LA.

It was about £2000 (roughly $4000), which although pricey, still seems value for money. Especially since flights alone are so costly. And that also included hire of TWO cars, so should be cheaper as we only want one now.

We want to go in a Shelby Mustang (preferably the GT500). Again, I know this isn't the most comfortable motor to do the trek in, as well as being a bit of a 'guzzler', but it's what we want. Hertz do rent Shelbys, but cannot guarantee car model untill we arrive at the airport. You can imagine the dissappointment of landing in Chicage, to be told we haven't got one.

Basically, I've had a ganders on the web, but not much luck. If you guys know of any companies who rent/hire Shelby's and are happy to let us do the drive, that'd be really helpful.

In fact, any tips on arranging this whole trip would be welcomed, so too any tales experienced by those who've done it.

Thanks a lot.

Hertz doesn't rent the GT500. Only the GT-H. It's not supercharged and only comes in an automatic.

Why would you want a sportscar for 66 anyway? It's nothing but long straight road, no twisties. It's for cruising, not racing.

Also, they want about $130/day to rent them, which is outrageous for a pile of shit Mustang.

Yeah, the GT500 was bit of a long shot - I dunno, I just guess love the idea of ragging through the desert. I'm not too worried about corners in the road - the Shelby doesnt have independent rear suspension like the Roush version. That solid axle makes it rather lame and 'juddery' in the corners. I just like the 'drag' (as in 'racing', not 'queen') element of racing the car.

What motor do you suggest?

But yeah, I agree with the cruising aspect.

I thought of a Caddy as they'll probably be four of us - more room and more 'cruise' tradition - but thought that'd be more costly than the mustang.

Besides, are they easy to hire?

how 'bout convertable?

Back