What it means to have human rights?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Yuppie

Rep Points

What it means to have human rights?

I am taking a class on human rights at the moment, and we have been discussing what it is to have human rights and on what basis we believe all humans should have these fundamental rights. What do you guys think?

And since human rights in theory should be equal for every human being regardless of geographical location, how do you guys feel about the view on controversial subjects such as abortion and capital punishment in the United States (which most countries have more firm views on, ala most are against capital punishment).

Has anyone here read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? It is interesting to note that it was written shortly after WWII, and hypocritically, the United States still had discrimination problems against African-Americans.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I don't think human rights really exist.
    Fucking Determined!

Yuppie

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    I don't think human rights really exist.
    How do you mean? Are you saying that they simply cannot be protected, or that the theory of human rights itself is just bullshit?

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KentDog View Post
    How do you mean? Are you saying that they simply cannot be protected, or that the theory of human rights itself is just bullshit?
    They don't exist except on paper. There is nobody to uphold human rights. It is a the responsibility of each person to treat others with respect and dignity which is the root philosophy that gave birth to the idea of human rights. But as people often do not treat others with respect and dignity, therefor human rights doesn't truly exist.

If there were a global taskforce to police human rights, then they would exist. Otherwise it is nothing more than a topic for discussion and nothing else.
    Fucking Determined!

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

They don't exist except on paper. There is nobody to uphold human rights. It is a the responsibility of each person to treat others with respect and dignity which is the root philosophy that gave birth to the idea of human rights. But as people often do not treat others with respect and dignity, therefor human rights doesn't truly exist.

If there were a global taskforce to police human rights, then they would exist. Otherwise it is nothing more than a topic for discussion and nothing else.
    Few things in life are absolute. Generally, they come in degrees.

There's a world of difference in human rights between the US and China. I really hope that you see that.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That was deep.

The US is the closest thing the world ever had to this "global taskforce" and everyone hates us.

Rep Points

Americans care about one thing. MONEY The Human right to make MONEY no matter who gets hurt in the process.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by NordicNacho View Post
    Americans care about one thing. MONEY The Human right to make MONEY no matter who gets hurt in the process.
    You, sir, are a moron.

Rep Points

And your gay but I don't call you names just cause you put things in your butt

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

And your gay but I don't call you names just cause you things in your butt
    good one

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    Few things in life are absolute. Generally, they come in degrees.

There's a world of difference in human rights between the US and China. I really hope that you see that.
    Kentdog is talking about this I think.
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights

My point is there is no force that can uphold or has been halfway successful at adhering to these codes of conduct.
    Fucking Determined!

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

And this is different from everyone else, how?

In any case, no one gives out as much money and materials to other people that the US.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

My point is there is no force that can uphold or has been halfway successful at adhering to these codes of conduct.
    A simple and undeniable fact: You cannot legislate morality or goodwill.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I feel you have the human right to put things in your butt. And that the Federal or State Government should not be allowed to stop you from putting things in your butt
    30 years old? Really?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

In any case, no one gives out as much money and materials to other people that the US.
    Everyone seems to forget that fact...

Rep Points

And this is different from everyone else, how?

But where do we get the money from? China , Japan, Banks

We give more aid to the poor country of Isreal then any other country.

We really love those Jews

We are running a 500,000,000,000 dollar trade deficit so you could say we give a whole lot more.

Just sghop at wal-mart and give a little more

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

But where do we get the money from? China , Japan, Banks

We give more aid to the poor country of Isreal then any other country.

We really love those Jews
    They're our best ally in the Middle East.

And my point was that we give out more than anyone else. Personally, I say fuck all the recipients that aren't active allies. Screw throwing money that is the shithole called Africa.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

A simple and undeniable fact: You cannot legislate morality or goodwill.
    My point exactly. Hence, human rights don't exist.
    Fucking Determined!

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by busyLivin View Post
    Everyone seems to forget that fact...
    Not that we should. Hell, we're giving millions to North Korea through the UN via the WMF. I say that we should stop feeding them and either get rid of Kim or starve to death.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Not that we should. Hell, we're giving millions to North Korea through the UN via the WMF. I say that we should stop feeding them and either get rid of Kim or starve to death.
    better yet get rid of the joke that is the UN

Rep Points

All aid together is about 15-20 billion a year. not much

We have spent over 500 billion in Iraq and they still bitch and even worse try to kill us, they sure are greedy. What can you do though? Lets spend more

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

My point exactly. Hence, human rights don't exist.
    Not on a legal scale, no. But there are human rights, but it comes from people's cultures, not their laws.

I benefit from human rights here in the US. I doubt that the same could be said for places like North Korea.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

better yet get rid of the joke that is the UN

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

All aid together is about 15-20 billion a year. not much

We have spent over 500 billion in Iraq and they still bitch they sure are greedy. What can you do though?
    We still give more than anyone else. So they amount to shit by your standards.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That was deep.

The US is the closest thing the world ever had to this "global taskforce" and everyone hates us.

Our global taskforce always serves our best interest, not the interest of human rights. If we applied the concepts of human rights in our foreign policy, we would be a better liked, less powerful country.
    Fucking Determined!

Rep Points

the recognition of Human rights will be alot better in the future throughout the world. It was less then 50 years ago before everyone got equal rights in the US. It takes time and the internet is spreading information all over the world to every corner.

We saw a lot of genocides during the last century

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Not on a legal scale, no. But there are human rights, but it comes from people's cultures, not their laws.

I benefit from human rights here in the US. I doubt that the same could be said for places like North Korea.
    Enough of the comparing us to worser countries bullshit. If your kid came home with a d on his report card, and he told you its ok, cause Johnny down the street made worse, you wouldn't buy into to that bullshit. Well thats what you are doing now.

I'm saying why not shoot for being better than we are now rather than being better than China is. We will almost always be better than China is when it comes to human rights. Thats just a cop out to not work harder. Human rights should be our policy, but its not, and nobody out there can make us.
    Fucking Determined!

Yuppie

Rep Points

But how is a human right really defined? Yes, human rights in theory are birthrights guaranteed to all members of the human race and should hold true regardless of race, wealth, social class, gender, or religion. But are they really equal? When broken down to social, political, economical, and cultural human rights, is it really fair to say something that flies for an economic human right here (for example, minimum working standards) should fly overseas in China? What about social human rights relating to religion? If you are Islamic, is it okay to marry outside of your caste? Many argue that the Universal Declaration (not that this is the only thing we are focused on here, just going off of something as a guideline) is Western-focused. Islamic law prohibits Muslims from changing their religion, which directly conflicts with Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. So where does religion fit in the spectrum of human rights?

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Enough of the comparing us to worser countries bullshit. If your kid came home with a d on his report card, and he told you its ok, cause Johnny down the street made worse, you wouldn't buy into to that bullshit. Well thats what you are doing now.

I'm saying why not shoot for being better than we are now rather than being better than China is. We will almost always be better than China is when it comes to human rights. Thats just a cop out to not work harder. Human rights should be our policy, but its not, and nobody out there can make us.
    We are doing better. Or do you think that things here are worse than say, the 50s? And we're doing better than more than China, we're doing better than a huge chunk of the world. But I guess that's not good enough. So fuck it, let's just get rid of human rights. Let me know when it happens, I'll get a gun and long list of Mexicans.

%
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I would say that the UN Charter and the Nuremberg Holdings (WWII--put away the Nazis for crimes against humanity) both define and lend support to the maintenance of some sort of human rights in the world.

The UN Charter's preamble states:

WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED

to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and

to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and
    to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and
    to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

AND FOR THESE ENDS

to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and
    to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and
    to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and
    to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,
    HAVE RESOLVED TO COMBINE OUR EFFORTS TO ACCOMPLISH THESE AIMS

Accordingly, our respective Governments, through representatives assembled in the city of San Francisco, who have exhibited their full powers found to be in good and due form, have agreed to the present Charter of the United Nations and do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations.

Charter of the United Nations

The Nuremberg Holdings punish countries that do crimes against the peace/humanity...they are still relevant today. Nuremberg Trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do agree with you though, the imposition and execution of these laws/principals is weak b/c international law is weak. IL only works if the US supports it. The US usually does support it when it's only in the US's interest. That's why Iraq is still viewed as a liberation instead of a Crime against Humanity.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast