• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Is rock'n'roll officially dead?

iMan323

Preved Medved!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
hey i was thinking...what happened to rock'n'roll? there were always these huge rebel bands around starting with , the stones, black sabbath, led zepplin, the ramones, the sex pistols, iron maiden, metallica, gun'n'roses, oasis, pearl jam, nirvana, u2 even, etc...

now, all we hear on the radio is a bunch of pussy, sell-out, whiny commercial "rock". it seems like the whole spirit of rebellion is pretty much gone. am i the only one who notices this?

i just turned 25 a few months ago, and like, everything i hear in the rock realm that's recent, just plain doesn't interest me. is this some sort of quarter life crisis shit with me, or is there really no interesting rock music around anymore?

You're getting old. :( Pretty soon you're going to be saying things like, "Back in my day..." and "Get off my grass!".

The type of music that you're looking for his out there. You can even find some of it in the more mainstream music scene. But to find more of it, you'll need to get off the beaten path and start looking at some of the indies.

For example, there's no way you'd ever see Flogging Molly on the top 40. FM isn't the type of music that you're looking for, but it's what I like. And you can find the music that you like, too.

no.

And don't listen to the radio. They have shitty music selection that are geared towards the mass market, and advertising dollars :D

Rock n Roll is far from dead, its just the shit they play on the radio isnt rock.

Check out some Aynsley Lister and tell me that rock is dead. He's a young guy, and he's playing stuff that appeals not only to me, but to my Dad and his mates who are 50+.

Ian Parker is another one, great Bluesrock guy.

Rock is dead to the mainstream. There is soem awesome rock music out there but you won't see it on MTV or hear it on the radio unless you have XM/sirrus radio.

There are almost no rebel bands out there. The formulas have been figured out for what sells music to the masses, and thats what we hear in the mainstream. Every now and then a band comes along that is good, and then there are 10 bands just like them in less than a year.

The culture has changed, and this is the age of rap music. For us few true rockers still left, we have to hang around the underground and keep our ears open for good rock music. Its out there, but you have to search.

These things go in cycles... Before the whole Seattle sound came up in the early 90s, rock was pretty dead to the mainstream too.

Think what a lot of popular 80s music was like. It was horrible. We had a good run in the 90s, so now we are going through the crappy part of the cycle.

It will change though and it will get better... just think of all the people that are complaining about music today. We are a huge market and we are ready for the next musical movement to come.

So it's not dead... it's just in hibernation.

IML Gear Cream!
Is that ebonics for " I like shit heads who talk about raping chicks, dealing drugs and killing people?"
no....its obvious rock is dead not many listens to it anymore most of the young people dont like it.

no....its obvious rock is dead not many listens to it anymore most of the young people dont like it.

No. Its obvious that you write on a second grade level. Don't give me that broken keyboard bullshit either. You typed three periods when it was not needed in that part of the statement, and then you didn't put any periods when they were needed.

This is what the sentence should have looked like.

No. Its obvious that rock music is dead. Not many people listen to it anymore, and most of the young people don't like it.

By the way, you are wrong. There are just as many people listening to rock music now as there were 20 years ago. The difference is that Rock music isn't making the record companies as much money as rap and pop music, so you only see rap and pop on MTV, and on local radio stations. Most rock fans are listening to music produced over the last 30 to 40 years, where as young people are too dumb to have developed a sense of individualism, so they buy whats cool today. I am still listening to many of the same CDs I bought 15 years ago, and I am pretty sure many other rock fans are doing the same.

i listen to all sorts of music. most of it i guess you could categorize as rock, punk, hard rock. either way, i never listen to the radio these days for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. that and they play the same shit over and over.
i personally love the old green day, so much. damn. the first time i heard their cd 'dookie' (haha, i love that) it opened up my mind to music. theyre the reason i love music as much as i do now, theyre the reason i want to inspire people just like they inspired me, theyre the reason ive been playing drums now for almost 4 years. i can play the entire cd every song if that tells you anything. and look at green day now, wtf happened to them? i sure dont know..but i think it involves money and selling out :(

So you're saying Manson and Lenny don't know what they're talking about? Is that what you're saying? HUH, IS THAT IT?! :paddle:

lenny kravitz - fly away
i could listen to that song for an entire day probably, haha. dont know why but i love it. cant say i like much of his other stuff, though. maybe american woman

edit: and no, rock is not dead. i doubt it ever will die. its just covered up with dirt.

i listen to all sorts of music. most of it i guess you could categorize as rock, punk, hard rock. either way, i never listen to the radio these days for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. that and they play the same shit over and over.
i personally love the old green day, so much. damn. the first time i heard their cd 'dookie' (haha, i love that) it opened up my mind to music. theyre the reason i love music as much as i do now, theyre the reason i want to inspire people just like they inspired me, theyre the reason ive been playing drums now for almost 4 years. i can play the entire cd every song if that tells you anything. and look at green day now, wtf happened to them? i sure dont know..but i think it involves money and selling out :(

Money kills art.

a lot of young people do like rock music. my kids listen to different genres and i think if kids today are close to their parents at all they might get some exposure to more music than they choose for themselves. it's pretty cool when they start choosing to listen to the good stuff themselves too :dont:

IML Gear Cream!
u guys are just trying to hang on. after my generation its gunna be dead.

not likely. even kids in your generation say most rap all sounds the same. when even fans say most of something is shit it isn't likely to have staying power. the beatles and elvis presley are still selling albums.

u guys are just trying to hang on. after my generation its gunna be dead.

If you are any representation of the generation coming up, I can safely say intelligence will be dead too.

Rap is a manufactured entity, when it goes out of fashion it will be replaced.

There are enough people who remember what rock is to pass it onto their children, and the concept of "rock music" is out there in the mainstream more and more, even though the bands are nothing more than pop with guitars - at least it leads people into the good stuff.

Rock survived punk, rock survived the 80's new wave bullshit, rock is surviving rap, rock will survive.

Most of the best selling artists the world has ever seen are ROCK bands. They are outselling pop music, that has been specifically DESIGNED to sell to the idiot public.

What does that tell you? Its TOO POPULAR to kill.

They have made documentaries on rock, there are books and books and books about it, they have made musicals about it, they have made high-budget hollywood movies on it, there are numerous regular 60k+ capacity world tours specifically for it, the beer industry thrives on it, the guitar industry thrives on it...dont try and tell me that its not popular.

You cant even turn the TV on these days without some sort of rock song in the background of an advert or commercial. Fuck, the other day i heard samples from Slayer's Raining Blood in a commercial for detergent.

There is too much money in too many places invested in this music for it to ever go under, even if it isnt the "flavour of the month". Shit, when has it really ever been in fashion?

I get pissed when people say "Rock Is Dead", partially because theyve been saying it for TEN YEARS.

That's funny I have a neice(16) and nephew(18) and I know a lot of their friends. All they listen to are old rock bands. I don't know any kids that actually listen to rap.

... but then again I don't associate with those kinds.

yah they sold alot back then. also tupac and biggie still sell a sht load now adays aswel. rock wil die no matter wt u guys say. and dissing me isnt going to save rock

We are not "dissing" you because we don't like your opinion. We are making fun of you because stupid people are fun to make fun of. Put some effort into typing a coherent sentence and you will be treated with more respect.

i dont give a fuck what u think of me. u cant be that smart if u put a fucking metal nail through your dick.

You were the one whinning about us picking on you. And you do care, because you became more hostile with each post making fun of you. You don't have to change if you don't feel the need to, but you will never be respected here as long as you talk like an ignorant gangsta wannabe.

Back