• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Older and trying to get fit

Swede

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi, I am new to this forum. I turned 51 this year and started lifting 8 months ago. Was making good gains trying to get bigger, stronger with less fat, but then discovered I was overtraining - I was lifting 5 days a week working one or 2 muscle groups each day with an insane munber of sets and reps - getting great burns, but discovered I was overdoing it . So, how does this sound? Next week I am starting the following routine: (reps for all below 4 to 8)
Mo - chest (flat and decline bench 3 sets each and inlcine dumbells 3 sets - gone from able to bench 135 5 reps to 205 4 reps) / legs (squats 5 sets. presses 5 sets)
Tu - cardio/abs
We - Back (front wide grip lat pulldowns, seated rows (wide and narrow grip), chainsaws - all 3 sets) / shoulders (military presses, raises 3 sets each / traps (shrugs, standing rows (?) 3 sets each)
Th - cardio/abs
Fr - arms - Biceps (wide grip barbell curl, two different dumbell curls, 3 sets each) / triceps (head knockers, bardips, machine presses with rope 3 sets each)
My diet could be better, but am using muscle milk as meal supplement x2 day, NOS (one week so far) and protein bar prior to workout. Was 200 lbs, 34 inch waist 8 months ago - now 205 lbs, 32 inch waist.

Last edited:
I think its great that you're getting into training and I'm sure you'll see good gains no matter your age.

Your routine looks cluttered though so it might be worth you reading through the stickies in the training and nutrition sections - knock together a basic routine based on compound movements and then let the experts on here fine tune it for you when you've broken it in.

Good luck!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I turned 51 this year and started lifting 8 months ago. Was making good gains trying to get bigger, stronger with less fat, but then discovered I was overtraining - I was lifting 5 days a week working one or 2 muscle groups each day with an insane munber of sets and reps - getting great burns, but discovered I was overdoing it . So, how does this sound? Next week I am starting the following routine: (reps for all below 4 to 8)
Mo - chest (flat and decline bench 3 sets each and inlcine dumbells 3 sets - gone from able to bench 135 5 reps to 205 4 reps) / legs (squats 5 sets. presses 5 sets)
Tu - cardio/abs
We - Back (front wide grip lat pulldowns, seated rows (wide and narrow grip), chainsaws - all 3 sets) / shoulders (military presses, raises 3 sets each / traps (shrugs, standing rows (?) 3 sets each)
Th - cardio/abs
Fr - arms - Biceps (wide grip barbell curl, two different dumbell curls, 3 sets each) / triceps (head knockers, bardips, machine presses with rope 3 sets each)
My diet could be better, but am using muscle milk as meal supplement x2 day, NOS (one week so far) and protein bar prior to workout. Was 200 lbs, 34 inch waist 8 months ago - now 205 lbs, 32 inch waist.

That certainly is better than overdoing it. But I would train legs on different days than when I do upper body. I like to train upper body one day and lower body the next day. You can work your cardio in a little bit each day.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was following the routine below:
Mo - chest / biceps
Tu - back/abs/cardio
We - legs
Th - Shoulders/traps/abs/cardio
Fr - Arms (biceps twice a week an area of effort - they measure only 15 1/4 inch and am trying to grow them)
By going from lifting 5 times a week to 3 times a week I am trying to get more rest. Everything I have read suggest more rest for muscles to grow??

Hey - nice to see an "older" person !! I'm 50 and when I went to see a trainer, he said because of my age I needed to take a complete day off between weight training sessions, which really helped me. I'm on a push/pull/legs routine right now, but we are deciding what our next routine will be right now.

Good luck - and yes, you do need more recovery time when you are older :thumb:

Hey - nice to see an "older" person !! I'm 50 and when I went to see a trainer, he said because of my age I needed to take a complete day off between weight training sessions, which really helped me. I'm on a push/pull/legs routine right now, but we are deciding what our next routine will be right now.

Good luck - and yes, you do need more recovery time when you are older :thumb:

Wow. I thought you were much younger than that!

I think we need some decent pics to settle this please!

Biggest change I have made since I figured out that I was overtraining is to give each muscle 7 days rest rather than 4 days. So, I have switched from lifting 5 days/week to three days/week (M,W,F with cardio on Tu and Th). And, also working fewer sets and reps - it seems to be working....So, my question is - what are the practical expectations that old farts like myself at 52 can expect?? I would like to get bigger and stronger while I can, but what is reasonable. When I started in January I weighed 195, 34 inch waist, now I weigh 205, 32 inch waist. I could barely bench 135 5 reps, last week I finally was able to bench 225 1 rep. Can I expect to continue to make good gains or will my age limit me??? What are your experiences and insights??

Back