Divine Nutrition

Type 2 diabetes! please Help.

Rep Points

My father-in-law has been suffering from type 2 diabetes for the past three years. Although his condition is very much under control, I would still prefer to know how to control hypoglycemia and what its symptoms are. I have heard it is a common diabetic problem. Please explain. Thanks in advance!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Type 2 diabetes is generally a poor lifestyle/diet illness.

Some symptoms include :
    • Frequent urination
    • Excessive thirst
    • Extreme hunger
    • Unusual weight loss
    • Increased fatigue
    • Irritability
    • Blurry vision
    Depending on the case, you may need to start out with some type of drug to control it, like Metformin.

Other then that, controling processed foods, especially carbs which impact blood-glucose levels. This is the route I would prefer to go, but it will dependant on the case and the doctors recommendations.

Rep Points

Hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia are more of the issues with type II diabetes, rather than hypoglycaemia.

Type II diabetes is also known as adult onset diabetes or NIDDM, non-insulin dependant diabetes mellitus.

It differs from type I in that the patient still makes insulin, it is just that the insulin does not work as well.

When the cells can't take in the glucose, the levels in the bloodstream rise, causing more insulin to be released.

This is because either

1. There is too much body for the amount of insulin (80% of people with type II diabetes are obese)

2. The cells do not respond to the insulin that is there, a condition known as insulin insensitivity.

Type II diabetes really is a lifestyle disease, there may be some genetic proponents, however it can be avoided, or if you have it, greatly improved upon by lifestyle modifications.

I did a presentation last week at work on Dia-besity and the metabolic syndrome, and my consultant also told us this great story about a woman who had been suffering with some of the side effects of diabetes, she was losing her eyesight, and he had to inform the driving regulators in the UK that she could no longer drive.

She started to walk and ride her bike everywhere, and within 6 months, this side effect had been reversed.

He was very unsure if he should contact the driving authorities again, or not, as if she got her liscense back, she would start driving again, and her condition could get worse again.

People with type II diabetes are also prone to

-heart and vein disease
    -foot problems, and they sometimes have to have limbs amputated
    -loss of vision
    -kidney problems including renal failure, which then requires dialysis or a transplant (unlikely with diabetes)

Exercise improves insulin insensitivity, as does changing your diet to include low GI carbohydrates, loads of veg, and in particular, healthy fats, in particular, the essential fatty acids found in fish oils, the omega ones.

People who are obese are also at a greater risk of some types of cancer, including colon, endometrial and breast cancer (yes men can get breast cancer too).

Rep Points

Hypoglycemia is a complication, which is extremely common and maybe seen in either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It is a common side effect of treatment with insulin or sulfonylurea. It is usually precipitated by inadequate food intake or by excessive exercise. The signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia include sweating, palpitations, tremor and later on confusion, behavioral changes and finally coma. These symptoms are individualized and maybe different for different individuals. Hypoglycemia can cause seizures, strokes and thus neurological deficits. Hence, it should be treated immediately with oral glucose, which maybe in the form of a fruit juice, a soft drink or glucose powder in water. If the patient is unable to swallow, intravenous glucose maybe required. Get more Information on Hypoglycemia. Good luck!

Go on....DO IT!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I am a new diabetic myself, wish I knew more so I could offer you advice here but I'm really still learning it myself.

Mine is a mild case of type 2, and like many diabetics they found my test levels to be low and have started me on injections to increase that level. I also take 1000mg of Metformin every morning after the work out and I feel better and have lost 10lbs so far.

Best of luck with all this, and again sorry I couldn't contribute more. One thing I can say is that type two is very managable, and my goal is too be rid of all my meds with exception to the test shots by my b-day in May.
    I do my best to focus on the task at hand, and give 100% in what I'm doing at the time. Nothing else matters except the task at hand.