• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Guys, stay away from lavender and tea tree oil: endocrine disruptors!

Pound for Pound

I can has cheezburger?
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I didn't see any info about this on the board so I thought I'd post it. These oils are estrogen mimickers and antiandrogenic.

Prepubertal gynecomastia linked to lavender and tea tree oils.

Henley DV, Lipson N, Korach KS, Bloch CA.
Receptor Biology Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA.

Most cases of male prepubertal gynecomastia are classified as idiopathic. We investigated possible causes of gynecomastia in three prepubertal boys who were otherwise healthy and had normal serum concentrations of endogenous steroids. In all three boys, gynecomastia coincided with the topical application of products that contained lavender and tea tree oils. Gynecomastia resolved in each patient shortly after the use of products containing these oils was discontinued. Furthermore, studies in human cell lines indicated that the two oils had estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities. We conclude that repeated topical exposure to lavender and tea tree oils probably caused prepubertal gynecomastia in these boys. 2007 Massachusetts Medical Society
PMID: 17267908 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Even though the gyno was resolved in the children after cessation of lavender and tea tree oil use, it's still something to consider. I don't touch either any more.

what the fuck do people use tee tree oil and lavander oil for anyway? it sounds like some voodo bullshit you would get at your local natropath.

I'd be interested to see the full study and what the criteria of selection was for the boys. If it is in that many products, like you suggest, then it would surely have become a problem after years and years of use. It is hard to base your full opinion off of one small study also. That is hardly what would be called conclusive evidence.

If i have a blocked nose ill put a few drops of Tea Tree Oil into a bowl of hot water. Combined with the steam, breathing it in really helps clear it.

Other than that i have no idea what use that stuff is.

I like shampoo with tea tree oil....and lip balm....and all sorta shyt....man that can't be true, AND I really enjoy this lavender body massage oil I have....I haven't grown breasts...yet!

interesting stuff. wonder if the effects would be the same with women (intra/post menopausal maybe)?

EDIT: i just noticed the sample size, N=3. I'd like to see the full study as P-funk said.

quick google search gave some more details.

Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked To Lavender And Tea Tree Oils

Main Category: Urology / Nephrology News
Article Date: 19 Feb 2007 - 11:00 PDT

email to a friend printer friendly view / write opinions rate article newsletters srExecute();

Visitor Ratings:

Healthcare Professional:
1stars.gif

General Public:
2_5stars.gif

>> rate this article

UroToday.com- Prepubertal gynecomastia is uncommon and idiopathic in over 90% of cases. Not infrequently, urologists may identify gynecomastia in children as part of a routine physical exam or in patients with gynecomastia specifically referred to rule out a testicular abnormality.

In the February 1st issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, Henley and colleagues from the University of Colorado report on 3 children whose gynecomastia resolved after stopping the use of lavender and tea tree oils. Both oils were tested on breast cancer cell lines to determine their interaction with the estrogen and androgen signaling pathways.

The first boy (age 4) presenting with worsening gynecomastia was found to have a normal testicular examination and hormonal profile. His gynecomastia resolved after his mother stopped applying a "healing balm" to the skin containing lavender oil. Another 10 year old boy presented with a 5 month history of gynecomastia and a normal evaluation. The areolar mounds disappeared 9 months after discontinuing the use of a hair styling gel containing Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil and Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil. The third boy age 7 years was evaluated for a 1 month history of gynecomastia and was found to be using lavender scented soap. His gynecomastia resolved several months after stopping the use of the soap.

The authors exposed 2 human breast cancer cell lines (MCF-7 and MDA-kb2) to both lavender and tea tree oils and measured estrogen-receptor dependent estrogenic activity Both oils were found to modulate the expression of estrogen-regulated genes c-myc, ctsd, and IFGBP3 in a manner similar to 17beta-estradiol administration. By adding dihydrotestosterone to the cell media, the authors also elegantly showed that both oils possessed in vitro antiandrogenic activity in the same magnitude as adding flutamide to the medium.

This elegant bench-to-bedside study conclusively showed that both lavender and tea tree oils may result in gynecomastia by causing an imbalance in estrogen and androgen pathway signaling. Although little is known about the effect of these oils in adults, an inquiry regarding their use is warranted in all patients presenting with gynecomastia or decreased libido.

D. V. Henley, N. Lipson, K. S. Korach, and C. A. Bloch
N Engl J Med. 2007 Feb 1;356(5):479-85

Reviewed by UroToday.com Contributing Editor Ricardo F. Sánchez-Ortiz, MD

http://www.urotoday.com/Copyright © 2006 - UroToday

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/63421.php

IML Gear Cream!
I rub tee tree oil on my ball sac every night.

I rub tee tree oil on my ball sac every night.

Ooo yeah, and a little lavender oil around the anus. Not on it! That'd be tooo much. Just around it will do just nicely.

Ah.. that flowery-bottomed, tea-tree-tingling bliss.

Back