NapsGear.net

Proper way to breathe

Proper way to breathe

I know this sounds kinda weird, but what is the proper way to breathe when lifting? I realized after hitting the heavy weights for 4-5 years now, I still don't breathe properly. I noticed it after someone spotted me and kept telling me to breathe. I seem to breathe a little, but once I start struggling or on my last few reps, I start to hold my breath.

Does anyone know the proper technique? I read conflicting things online. Some people actually hold there breath during a lift for maximum strength (not healthy)

Recently (the past month or so) I've been real concious of my breathing and have been breathing in threw the mouth on the negative, and blowing out through my mouth on the positive part of every lift. Am I suppose to be going through mouth both ways, or should I use my nose?

Also I've been thinking about it so much lately, that now I think I may actually be hyperventilating, as I stand up and I'm dizzy/lightheaded for 2-3 sec.

Thanks guys.

Rep Points

Tense your abs before every lift, THEN breathe and perform a rep, let out air as you perform the rep. The 'sss' sound boxers make is what you should hear. Its air leaving the mouth. Definately don't hold your breath, ever. And always brace your core. Especially for things like squats and deadlifts

Do not breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose
    www.monmouthkettlebells.blogspot.com
    AJ Oliva RKC, FMS
    Central NJ

Quote Originally Posted by fUnc17 View Post
    Tense your abs before every lift, THEN breathe and perform a rep, let out air as you perform the rep. The 'sss' sound boxers make is what you should hear. Its air leaving the mouth. Definately don't hold your breath, ever. And always brace your core. Especially for things like squats and deadlifts

Do not breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose
    Through my nose? For the past few months I've been doing mouth.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I generally breath in my nose and out of my mouth while lifting.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Here's a little incentive to breathe properly: People have held their breath while benching. They blacked out and had the bar fall on them.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    Here's a little incentive to breathe properly: People have held their breath while benching. They blacked out and had the bar fall on them.
    Culminating in who we know as 'danny81'
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by vortrit View Post
    I generally breath in my nose and out of my mouth while lifting.
    Basically I don't know how knowledgeable you are about jogging, but it's the same thing as what vortrit mentioned here, you are supposed to breath the weight in (breath in with your nose) and blow the weight away from you (release the air with your mouth, blowing away). Same thing goes with jogging, you take air in with your nose as it pulls up on your lungs and blow it out, that compresses and pushes down on your lungs. Hope this helps, goodluck.

STILL workin' it!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

In through the nose, out through the mouth!

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

There's no correct answer.

For me, it depends on the lift.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think as long as your breathing, though, you are good. I just personally like breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth because of the reasons listed above.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Back from the grave.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have a tendency to hold my breath too, although these days I'm more conscious of breathing out as I near the top of my last few reps (i.e. when I'm struggling) or if I'm doing a particularly heavy lift.

Does that sound OK, or am I supposed to be blowing out throughout the entire lift?

w/thx,
    G.
    Used to.. DL:375lb, Sqt:335lb, Bnch:260lb
    Now... Weak as a kitten, but fighting back.
    Age:38. Trained 11/06-12/09. Feet surgeries & hip problems:12/09-12/11. Fighting back:12/11+. New Training Journal and Food Log.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    There's no correct answer.

For me, it depends on the lift.
    Ditto.

I hold my breath on a certain part of a lift, then exhale. I use both my mouth and nose.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

The only time I believe you should hold your breath is at the pause of a rep, for instance bench press, when you have the weight fully extended, and then ofcourse you inhale with the nose on the way back down, then blow the weight away like I said before with your mouth. Pausing and holding your breath like I said above, I think would be alright, but not in the middle of a rep....

inhale through your nose prior to the lift and exhale through ur mouth on completion of the lift. works for me..
    "LIGHT WEIGHT BAYBAY! BOOOOOOOO! YEP! AHHHHHHH!
    corn bread good ol corn bread.
    its hot in here, record breaking temperature"

Cleaner

Rep Points

I agree with diff exercise diff breathing. Dumbbell pullovers are top rated for breathing, IMHO. The movement expands your chest(breath in through nose) and collapses your chest(out through mouth). If you don't know what I mean you owe it to yourself to do some sets. They are very relaxing because of the natural controlled breathing associated with them. It's hard to get the breathing wrong. If you get it wrong you will hate them. Get it right and you may love them.

I've always sucked the air through my mouth, and blew it out through my mouth

breathe in during the eccentric and out during the concentric. weither you breathe through your nose or mouth just depends on if you are moving enough air.

Oh also if you have horrible breath you should stick to the nose because there is nothing worse then spotting someone and they blow a big cloud of hot garlic breath right into your nose.
    "When i was 15 years old, i took all of my clothes off and looked in the mirror. When i stared at myself naked, I realized that to be perfectly proportioned I would need 20 inch arms to match the rest of me." -Arnold