Robbery Suspect Charged With Murder After Alleged Accomplices Killed by Homeowner

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Robbery Suspect Charged With Murder After Alleged Accomplices Killed by Homeowner

FOXNews.com - Robbery Suspect Charged With Murder After Alleged Accomplices Killed by Homeowner - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

LAKEPORT, Calif. — Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.

In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.

"It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."

Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.

Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.

The Provocative Act doctrine does not require prosecutors to prove the accused intended to kill. Instead, "they have to show that it was reasonably foreseeable that the criminal enterprise could trigger a fatal response from the homeowner," said Brian Getz, a San Francisco defense attorney unconnected to the case.

The NAACP complained that prosecutors came down too hard on Hughes, who also faces robbery, burglary and assault charges. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.

The Rev. Amos Brown, head of the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP and pastor at Hughes' church, said the case demonstrates the legal system is racist in remote Lake County, aspiring wine country 100 miles north of San Francisco. The sparsely populated county of 13,000 people is 91 percent white and 2 percent black.

Brown and other NAACP officials are asking why the homeowner is walking free. Tests showed Edmonds had marijuana and prescription medication in his system the night of the shooting. Edmonds had a prescription for both the pot and the medication to treat depression.

"This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."

On Thursday, a judge granted a defense motion for a change of venue. The defense had argued that he would not be able to get a fair trial because of extensive local media coverage and the unlikelihood that Hughes could get a jury of his peers in the county. A new location for the trial will be selected Dec. 14.

The district attorney said that race played no part in the charges against Hughes and that the homeowner was spared prosecution because of evidence he was defending himself and his family, who were asleep when the assailants barged in at 4 a.m.

Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.

"I didn't do anything wrong. All I did was defend my family and my children's lives," said Edmonds, 33. "I'm sad the kids are dead, I didn't mean to kill them."

He added: "Race has nothing to do with it other than this was a gang of black people who thought they were going to beat up this white family."

California's Provocative Act doctrine has primarily been used to charge people whose actions led to shooting deaths.

However, in one notable case in Southern California in 1999, a man who robbed a family at gunpoint in their home was convicted of murder because a police officer pursuing him in a car chase slammed into another driver in an intersection, killing her.

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."

"Only God knows what happened in that house," she said. "But this I know: My son did not murder his childhood friends."

I had never heard of this law before, but it sounds reasonable. Civil rights groups are claiming racism, but seem to ignore the fact that the gang of nigger thugs broke into Shannon Edmond's house and beat his son to the point of brain damage.

He killed 2 and the other will go to jail for murder. If Edmond's kid makes a recovery, it will be a happy ending for a change, but the outlook is grim. He can't even feed himself right now.
    Fucking Determined!

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    I had never heard of this law before, but it sounds reasonable. Civil rights groups are claiming racism, but seem to ignore the fact that the gang of nigger thugs broke into Shannon Edmond's house and beat his son to the point of brain damage.

He killed 2 and the other will go to jail for murder. If Edmond's kid makes a recovery, it will be a happy ending for a change, but the outlook is grim. He can't even feed himself right now.
    If a black man isn't handed everything on a silver platter, it's racism.

I'm trying very hard not be racist towards blacks, but shit like this makes it hard.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good.

People in the U.S. are so used to hearing "shooting" it doesn't have much effect. Maybe if pieces of shit like this started getting hacked to death by machete people would stop and think twice before they commit home invasions.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The homeowner did the right thing.

In the stir of the moment, it's 3 on 1. A home invasion. You don't have time to think and make a plan.

They beat the son of the house and may have permanently disabled him.

The homeowner was defending his family.

The the fact this story even made the new, and that "racism" was mentioned, is another reason, why the USA has unfortunately gone down the toilet.
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

Rep Points

Ohhh, I love it. Have not heard of the law before but its nice. Racism my ass!
    ILLEGITIMIS CON CARBORUNDUM!!
    (don't let the bastards grind you down)

I love vegetarians, they're a great source of lean protien!

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Blacks, and especially black "leaders", do more to perpetuate racism than anyone else.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The charge should be that he gets to shoot that fucker now.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Needs a beating with a baseball bat imo.

Eye for an eye would stop a lot of this crap.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Too hard on him? Fuck that...drop a 2000 pound boulder on his ass and that's still just barely not hard enough...
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You do the crime you go the time.....or worse

Anyone who breaks into a home should get shot.

Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

He didn't even shoot them 'til after his step son took a beating. Break that down and you have three vicious niggers beating the shit outta someone. The Remaining person finally gets a chance and opens fire. How traumatic is that? Seeing your step get a beat down? I say let the remaining black bastard out on bail and give the guy with the shotgun another chance.

Rep Points

In your report source, it says Lakeport. But on my local news site, it is Clearlake. Clearlake is a very small town about 100 miles north of here (San Francisco Bay Area). An area like that is 90% White..maybe even more. In the report, it says all three went up to break in to the dude's house. One was going to San Jose State University. What is sad is how white people have almost no power nowadays to defend themselves from minorities without someone screaming racism. All that person was doing was defending himself from the 3 black guys who just broke into his house and beat his son..yet the NAACP here is going crazy. it's a sad world...almost makes me want to move to another country when I read this shit
    Chuck Norris once lost his keys and couldn't remember where he put them. So he tortured himself for half an hour until he gave up their location.

Yuppie

Rep Points

I've got to admit, the idea of this law is interesting and I could see it being a nice deterant to thug criminals if word got around about it.

Light weight!

Rep Points

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."
    What a stupid bitch trying to defend her stupid thug sons actions. So they break into a home with baseball bats and beat the crap out of somebody with the intent of "buying marijuana"?

Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by StanUk View Post
    What a stupid bitch trying to defend her stupid thug sons actions. So they break into a home with baseball bats and beat the crap out of somebody with the intent of "buying marijuana"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Bitch
    Ohhh no. That's not it at all. See the guys with the marijuana tries to steal from my son. You know how them drug dealers all be. So of course them boys was just doing the right thing by teaching them nasty drug dealers a lesson. The pohleece ain't doin' nuthin' so sumbahdies got too.