I Am Legend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Am Legend

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thumbs up I Am Legend

Unpredictably, I saw this movie twice today.

All in all, this movie was pretty damn good. If youre a dog lover, youll love this movie. Well............yeah, youll love it.

Some things I must say about it that I did not like:

1. The special effects sucked. The backgrounds were good (isolation, deserted NY scenes), but the creatures and I mean every one, looked like a cartoon to me. I seem to remember going to the theater and getting dazzled and then possibly, seeing some "fakeness" to those special effects when I got the Dvd months later. No, I noticed the fake shit from the get go.

2. Not all the questions were answered. I know they arent supposed to be, but a lot were, so I thought theyd close the deal and answer all the questions. Without giving away spoilers, I cannot give any more hint.

In totality, its a really good flick. Worth buying. Worth seeing twice in the theater.

Will and Sam made this movie.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Rep Points

it was the first movie i've walked out of in a LONG time where i said "damn, that was good". Very surprised that Will Smith could pull off the single actor carrying a movie thing; have a new respect for him

-how did they film the city scenes btw?

umm, as far as the mutating virus...ya think they'd test it, retest it, then test it again, while in the initial production stage, no?

my only real complaint of the movie is they should have made it three hours long and done a full explanation of the virus, what happened etc, then jump forward three years with Will...
    "fuck it all, and fucking no regrets"

James Hetfield

Damage Inc.

Peelosopher

Rep Points

I loooooooved the movie up until the last 3-5 minutes of the movie, but the rest was so spectacularly done I can forgive it. The ending left a LOTto be desired, but the rest of the movie was performed so magnificently that I can just pretend it ended some other way. It was really disappointing though that something done so well through the rest of the movie could end with this incomplete feeling. Like the producers said "Oh shit, we have 2 hours of footage already. Quick, someone wrap this up!"

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Not even. 100 minutes.

I thought the ending was average. Predictable and cliched.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Rep Points

I am going to see this tomorrow. Looks awesome.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

opps disregard my other post AKIRA. I recently saw "American Gangster". Awesome movie.

Rep Points

I saw it last night. Awesome movie but the ending was so quick. I loved it but walking out I felt like there was a lot missing.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cheesegrater View Post
    -how did they film the city scenes btw?
    Those were real NYC street scenes.

Rep Points

they actually close down a bunch of streets and fill them with empty cars? was the grass and all that computer or "real"?

James Hetfield

Damage Inc.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

they actually close down a bunch of streets and fill them with empty cars? was the grass and all that computer or "real"?
    I'm so sure about the grass part, it could be CGI but they did close down a few blocks.
    They pissed off everybody, one person even called in a bomb threat, it was a fake threat..one to get rid of them.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Wiki

Akiva Goldsman decided to move the story from Los Angeles to New york City to take advantage of locations that would more easily show emptiness Goldsman explained, "L.A. looks empty at three o'clock in the afternoon, [but] New York is never empty... it was a much more interesting way of showing the windswept emptiness of the world." Warner Brothers initially rejected this idea because of the logistics. but Francis Lawrence was determined to shoot on location, to give the film a natural feel that would not benefit from shooting on soundstages. Lawrence went to the city with a camcorder, and filmed areas filled with crowds. Then, a special effects test was conducted to remove all those people. The test had a powerful effect on studio executives. Michael Tadross convinced authorities to close busy areas such as the Grand Central Terminal viaduct, several blocks of Fifth Avenue and Washington Square Park.
    Filming began on September 23, 2006.The Marcy Avenue Armory in Williamsburg was used for the interior of Neville's home, while Greenwich Village was used for the exterior. Other locations including the Tribeca section of Lower Manhattan, the aircraft carrier Intrepid, the Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx and St. Paul's Cathedral. Weeds were imported from Florida and were strewn across locations to make the city look like it had overgrown with them. The closure of major streets was controversial with New Yorkers. Will Smith said, "I don't think anyone's going to be able to do that in New York again any time soon. People were not happy. That's the most middle fingers I've ever gotten in my career."

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

With apologies to Akira.

I Am Legend Trailer

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I won't give away the ending, but think it was satisfying as far as it goes, but not nearly as appealing, from my angle, as the foregoing material. That brings up my one complaint: the title. By the end of the movie, we have some sense of the meaning of the title. Yet it still seems to me to feel cheesy and really unworthy of the movie.
    If I had the chance to pick my ending it would have Smith and the Dog Samantha tastfully having an affair and producing a new race.
    The Man-Dogs name will be Dog spelled backwards.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

^
    No apologies there.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The ending was kinda predictable and really deserved more thought put into it, but I dont know if the original was written to end the same way.

Oh and Will didnt do full ROM pullups.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hopefully by the time I watch it on DVD they will have a directors cut with a full ending if so many say it sucked so bad....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I dont think it sucked.

I read what the book was about and I am glad they went this route. A biological factor turning everyone into vampires? Bah.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Smartass anthropologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee View Post
    Those were real NYC street scenes.
    Deserted because people were too afraid of danny and his cru, terrified to leave their houses..

A similar thing happend in Europe when danny was on his London vacation:

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I saw it last night. Awesome movie but the ending was so quick. I loved it but walking out I felt like there was a lot missing.

I agree 100%. The film was great until it just ended all of the sudden.

I also didn't think they cast the girl and the little boy well. I didn't care about them.

Monochromatic Bunny

Rep Points

Crono liked it. Masturbation, peeing or japanese girls appeared in that movie.

Previously Titansgymflunk

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by goob View Post
    Deserted because people were too afraid of danny and his cru, terrified to leave their houses..

A similar thing happend in Europe when danny was on his London vacation:
    Hahaha Danny"s crew eats ppl. thats pretty ganster yo
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPearson View Post
    I grew up in Alberta. I know what you little Alberta girls are like... a bunch of little ass lickers.

Rep Points

That dog was freakin awesome.will smith did great solo work too.
    I grew up in Alberta. I know what you little Alberta girls are like... a bunch of little ass lickers.

Rep Points

Weird so far I have only heard negative things about this film. I didn't really have a desire to see it but I think I have gotten 4 reviews from friends so far who canned it.

My dad even went out of his way to send me an email saying him and his girlfriend hated it, he thought it might be something I would go see and he felt like he had to warn me.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by andythegreat View Post
    That dog was freakin awesome.will smith did great solo work too.
    As a kid I grew up watching Lassie.

Rep Points

Samantha"d kick Lassie's ass....and then go find timmy and tell him where to fnd lassie's body.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Splash Log View Post
    Weird so far I have only heard negative things about this film. I didn't really have a desire to see it but I think I have gotten 4 reviews from friends so far who canned it.

My dad even went out of his way to send me an email saying him and his girlfriend hated it, he thought it might be something I would go see and he felt like he had to warn me.
    The movie was too short. For example, they really didn't explore the main character's borderline insanity from living without human contact for so long. They also didn't cover why one of the nightstalkers was more intelligent than the rest.

Plus, the end was rushed and not that good.

Don't get me wrong, all-in-all, it was fun to watch and had some great suspenseful, and claustrophobic, moments.

Rep Points

how did they film the city scenes btw?
    I remember them shutting down the brooklyn bridge, lincoln tunnel, almost half of NYC to shoot the movie. They had to bring in tanks I believe (didnt see the movie yet so I wouldn't know) But I'd pass by the set everyday otw to work in the summer
    www.monmouthkettlebells.blogspot.com
    AJ Oliva RKC, FMS
    Central NJ

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Saw this tonight, loved it. I didn't have an issue with the ending. Yeah, there were things left unexplained, but I prefer that than having some dumbass scene where the character "explains" everything out loud to himself, just so we hear it. I like the unsaid parts. Gives me some work to do on my own.

The CGI work was just OK. But like DOMS, I would have liked more time exploring the depths of Smith's sanity after going to long without seeing other people. The scene in the video store was nice ("Please say hello to me...."), but would have liked more in that area.

Overall, darn fine move, and I think the best adaptation of the book so far. Four stars (out of five).
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fUnc17 View Post
    I remember them shutting down the brooklyn bridge, lincoln tunnel, almost half of NYC to shoot the movie. They had to bring in tanks I believe (didnt see the movie yet so I wouldn't know) But I'd pass by the set everyday otw to work in the summer
    economically how can they do this? at what level does a movie have to be to be able to go to the city office and say "uhh, we need to shut down damn near the whole island of manhattan for a while to film our little zombie movie"...makes for great scenes in the movie, but damn it'd piss me off to be that put out for some fucking movie

James Hetfield

Damage Inc.

lifts weights
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

the animal CGI was absolutely unacceptably poor, considering the budget this movie had.

however, the cinematography was good, and Will Smith played an excellent role, as did his canine counterpart
    This is my journal. Click it and such

"
    tried and true theory on one's self is probably the only non-biased proof that something works for someone." - juggernaut

http://www.ronpaul.com/