25% Off Black Friday Sale

5 days cut, 5 days bulk: effective?

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

5 days cut, 5 days bulk: effective?

I'm looking for information on the effectiveness of short cutting and bulking phases, say 5 days, compared to longer phases where you have a longer transitional period. I imagine you lose more weight, both muscle and fat, with the short phases, as you cut your calories down a lot very suddenly and bump them back up very fast too.

Articles, personal experiences etc. welcome. Jodi and Iain's opinion welcome in particular.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What are you trying to achieve by doing this?

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cutting and bulking at the 'same' time. Or staying lean while putting on mass. I'm on a regular cut ATM though, slowly dropping calories. I've read some articles about short phases being more effective, but I'm a bit sceptical about it.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have never seen anything that short of a period. What would the defecit and surplus be like. I am skeptical on the progress made.

Personally I think 3-4 week periods work better.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think in the article they said 500 above and 500 below maintenance, so that's a 1000 calorie jump.

What kind of transitional period would you use for a 4 week bulk 4 week cut program? One week maintenance, none?

Rep Points

a few day maintenance

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

honestly, WB. I dont really see all the effort into getting some if at all minimal gains. This sounds like a M&F ragazine article. Can you show us the source? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, it just sounds...bizarre?
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It's not a single source, I've read about it multiple times. I don't have the articles at hand, hence the thread, but I know there was an article about it at ironmagazine.com (main site) and I believe someone mentioned it in an interview at T-Nation. The reasoning was something like: short phases eliminate the need for refeeds and other cycling methods, make it impossible for your body to rapidly adapt and stagnate and the vigorous changes in calories would somehow create a very responsive hormonal environment at every transition.

My counterarguments would be that your body actually needs time to adjust else you're burning too much muscle and putting on too much fat in the cutting and bulking phases respectively.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i think you would have to do the phases for longer in order for adaptations to calorie changes to take place and illicit the gains that you want to see.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

that's what i was thining
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

.::.:: Legend ::.::.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Wouldn't this be like maintaining weight?. You lose the weight, then gain it back.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk View Post
    i think you would have to do the phases for longer in order for adaptations to calorie changes to take place and illicit the gains that you want to see.
    Yeah I agree! I've done 2 week cuts though, maintenance or bulk for 2 weeks then back to 2 week cuts but I think 5 days is way too few days to adapt.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Yeah I agree! I've done 2 week cuts though, maintenance or bulk for 2 weeks then back to 2 week cuts but I think 5 days is way too few days to adapt.
    And what's your experience / opinion, does it work? Would be cool to try, I guess.
    December 30, 2007: Body Weight: 75.8 Kg / 174.3 lbs Body Fat Percentage: 21.9%
    Current (January 13, 2008): Body Weight 66,7 Kg / 147.2 lbs Body Fat Percentage: 5.8%

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

hey jodi, that was a great game against the Giants the other day.

go big or go home

Rep Points

i think you are better off stretching it to the 2 weeks like jodi said. i personnally respond better to 3 weeks of a certain stimulus so i would even suggest 3/3/3
    Pain is temporary.
    Pride is forever.

Rep Points

Hi mate

i personally have never heard of anyone cutting or bulking for such short periods of time and imo would doubt its effectiveness. Im sure there would also be some health concerns also as not allowing the body to adapt to one program over a lengthier period of time
    www.first4muscle.com