Singles for hypertrophy

Rep Points

Singles for hypertrophy

If I did quite a high number of singles ( twenty + ) in the big compound lifts ( squats, chins, deadlifts and bench ) would this lead to appreciable mass gains? I have read time and again that singles build strength but not much mass but is that assumption nullified when sufficient numbers of singles are done per session?

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

They can be used the way you did, but I'm not a fan. You could also try cluster sets (rest paused sets). I think it's very easy to overtrain if you perform over 20 singles with anything near your 1RM with multiple compound movements.

Rep Points

that sounds extremely dangerous.

Back from the grave.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Amidst P-Funk's list of Recommended Reading is Super Squats by Randall J. Strossen

I recently read it.

It recommends (among other things) "one set of 20 squats, 3x week, with 5-10lb added to the bar each workout." Initially "pick a weight you can do 10 with, then do 20 with it"

It cites numerous cases of huge gains, in both strength and size.

It's only a short book, but it was a nice read.
    Used to.. DL:375lb, Sqt:335lb, Bnch:260lb
    Now... Weak as a kitten, but fighting back.
    Age:38. Trained 11/06-12/09. Feet surgeries & hip problems:12/09-12/11. Fighting back:12/11+. New Training Journal and Food Log.

Rep Points

did Dorian Yates not do something similar ?
    When you play for Celtic forget the Jersey forget the club, your playing for a people and a cause.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Big G View Post
    Amidst P-Funk's list of Recommended Reading is Super Squats by Randall J. Strossen

I recently read it.

It recommends (among other things) "one set of 20 squats, 3x week, with 5-10lb added to the bar each workout." Initially "pick a weight you can do 10 with, then do 20 with it"

It cites numerous cases of huge gains, in both strength and size.

It's only a short book, but it was a nice read.
    one set of 20 squats is not 20 sets of 1 squat.

Rep Points

I have been doing this approach now for the last month or so and really enjoying it. I am definately seeing gains in mass. I think its a volume issue, you really need to do an awful lot of singles per session to warrant a response. The way I am approaching it currently is reducing my rest periods by ten seconds each time I go to the gym and today I had my first "failure" in the bench press at the twentieth rep so I completed nineteen reps and couldnt quite nail the last at a rest period of twenty seconds between reps. I was hoping to reduce the rest period down to just five seconds on all the exercises before I moved onto a different protocol for a short time before resuming the singles at a heavier weight for another cycle. It does go to show you though that there are plenty ways to skin a cat and lots out there that works

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by alex p View Post
    I have been doing this approach now for the last month or so and really enjoying it. I am definately seeing gains in mass. I think its a volume issue, you really need to do an awful lot of singles per session to warrant a response. The way I am approaching it currently is reducing my rest periods by ten seconds each time I go to the gym and today I had my first "failure" in the bench press at the twentieth rep so I completed nineteen reps and couldnt quite nail the last at a rest period of twenty seconds between reps. I was hoping to reduce the rest period down to just five seconds on all the exercises before I moved onto a different protocol for a short time before resuming the singles at a heavier weight for another cycle. It does go to show you though that there are plenty ways to skin a cat and lots out there that works
    I'm curious as to how you are working the timing of the exercise?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by jchappj View Post
    I'm curious as to how you are working the timing of the exercise?
    The way I do it is quite simple. When I first start when the rest period is to be sixty seconds between reps I just do a rep each time the second hand hits the twelve on my wristwatch ( ofcourse this means the rest is a few seconds short of sixty seconds but I dont see that as a problem ). Then I time the next session to fifty second intervals and when the second hand hits the right time I blast out another rep ( I often write down on a sheet of paper the position the second hand needs to reach so that I dont have to calculate each time ( this may make me sound a little dumb but its a practical solution because of the ease of forgetting where you are in the rep count ) So as you can see the rest periods arent dialled in to the exact second but the progression is easier to monitor this way I think.