• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Singles for hypertrophy

alex p

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
If I did quite a high number of singles ( twenty + ) in the big compound lifts ( squats, chins, deadlifts and bench ) would this lead to appreciable mass gains? I have read time and again that singles build strength but not much mass but is that assumption nullified when sufficient numbers of singles are done per session?

Amidst P-Funk's list of Recommended Reading is Super Squats by Randall J. Strossen

I recently read it.

It recommends (among other things) "one set of 20 squats, 3x week, with 5-10lb added to the bar each workout." Initially "pick a weight you can do 10 with, then do 20 with it"

It cites numerous cases of huge gains, in both strength and size.

It's only a short book, but it was a nice read.

did Dorian Yates not do something similar ?

Amidst P-Funk's list of Recommended Reading is Super Squats by Randall J. Strossen

I recently read it.

It recommends (among other things) "one set of 20 squats, 3x week, with 5-10lb added to the bar each workout." Initially "pick a weight you can do 10 with, then do 20 with it"

It cites numerous cases of huge gains, in both strength and size.

It's only a short book, but it was a nice read.

one set of 20 squats is not 20 sets of 1 squat.

I have been doing this approach now for the last month or so and really enjoying it. I am definately seeing gains in mass. I think its a volume issue, you really need to do an awful lot of singles per session to warrant a response. The way I am approaching it currently is reducing my rest periods by ten seconds each time I go to the gym and today I had my first "failure" in the bench press at the twentieth rep so I completed nineteen reps and couldnt quite nail the last at a rest period of twenty seconds between reps. I was hoping to reduce the rest period down to just five seconds on all the exercises before I moved onto a different protocol for a short time before resuming the singles at a heavier weight for another cycle. It does go to show you though that there are plenty ways to skin a cat and lots out there that works:)

I have been doing this approach now for the last month or so and really enjoying it. I am definately seeing gains in mass. I think its a volume issue, you really need to do an awful lot of singles per session to warrant a response. The way I am approaching it currently is reducing my rest periods by ten seconds each time I go to the gym and today I had my first "failure" in the bench press at the twentieth rep so I completed nineteen reps and couldnt quite nail the last at a rest period of twenty seconds between reps. I was hoping to reduce the rest period down to just five seconds on all the exercises before I moved onto a different protocol for a short time before resuming the singles at a heavier weight for another cycle. It does go to show you though that there are plenty ways to skin a cat and lots out there that works:)

I'm curious as to how you are working the timing of the exercise?

I'm curious as to how you are working the timing of the exercise?

The way I do it is quite simple. When I first start when the rest period is to be sixty seconds between reps I just do a rep each time the second hand hits the twelve on my wristwatch ( ofcourse this means the rest is a few seconds short of sixty seconds but I dont see that as a problem ). Then I time the next session to fifty second intervals and when the second hand hits the right time I blast out another rep ( I often write down on a sheet of paper the position the second hand needs to reach so that I dont have to calculate each time ( this may make me sound a little dumb but its a practical solution because of the ease of forgetting where you are in the rep count :) ) So as you can see the rest periods arent dialled in to the exact second but the progression is easier to monitor this way I think.

Back