• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Chewing Gum

w8lifter

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Chewing Gum Makes People Smarter
March 14, 2002 8:00 CDT

British researchers are reporting that chewing gum could actually make people smarter. The study by the University of Northumbria and the Cognitive Research Unit, Reading, determined that gum chewing has a positive effect on thinking and memory.

"The results were extremely clear and specifically we found that chewing gum targeted memory," said Andrew Scholey of the university's Human Cognitive Neuroscience Unit. "People recalled more words and performed better in tests on working memory."

It doesn't matter what flavor or type of gum is chewed. The repetitive chewing motion is what makes the difference. Scholey addressed a symposium at the British Psychological Society's annual conference in Blackpool on Wednesday and said that the improved performance in several different memory tests could likely be due to an increase in heart rate along with a surge of insulin in the brain.

A group of seventy-five people were split into groups of non-chewers, real chewers, and "sham" chewers. Before they went through the 25-minute test, the two chewing groups spent three minutes playing with their real or imaginary gum in their mouths.

The tests included questions that related to short-term memory, such as recalling words and pictures, and working memory, such as being able to remember a person's telephone number. Scholey said that the heart rate of the actual chewers was three beats per minute faster than the non-chewers, and 1.5 beats per minute faster than the sham chewers.

"What we think is that the mild increase in heart rate may improve the delivery of oxygen and glucose to the brain, enough to improve cognitive function," said Scholey in a Reuters interview. He also said there was a possibility that chewing gum induced a surge of insulin due to the mouth watering in anticipation of a meal. "It is known that there are insulin receptors in areas of the brain which are important for learning and memory," he said.

Source: University of Northumbria and the Cognitive Research Unit; Reuters

Once they meet you their data goes right out the window. :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding gorgeous. :D

Originally posted by w8lifter
Only skimmed this but it has some interesting stuff about sweetners, sugar alcohols, insulin, etc.

Interesting!

Is it possible for "our" Research Dept. to stop chewing gum for a minute and be a little more RIGOROUS! :D

DP

Team Captain

j/k Co-Captain

Hint:

THE THREE "TOLS": XYLI, SORBI, & MANNI, #4.

Xylitol is extracted from birch cellulose and is considered to be a carbohydrate alcohol. While it has the same amount of calories as sucrose, it metabolizes in a dissimilar manner and may be used safely for diabetics and hypoglycemics. Bacterial salivary organisms do not feed, grow or ferment on xylitol as they do on other simple forementioned sugars. "Sugar-Free" chewing gum contains xylitol because it does not produce the bacterial support for increase of cavity causing acids. Studies show that prolonged use or large intake may produce the following side effects:
weight gain similar to that associated with high/prolonged sucrose intake,
diarrhea,
tumor growth,
liver/kidney/brain dysfunction. Many manufacturers have withdrawn xylitol from their product formulation!

DP

More...you want more?

One of the reasons for using aspartame is the quest to reduce calories and therefore lose or maintain body weight. However, there is some evidence, disputed by the manufacturers of course, that the sweet sensation provided by artificial sweeteners, including aspartame, can through a "neural/humoral" connection cause the pancreas to secrete insulin regardless of the blood sugar levels. Insulin is the storage hormone and inhibits fat mobilization, thus defeating the original goal to lose fat. With elevated insulin which does not combine with blood sugars, you get an increase in appetite and a craving for carbohydrates. This has been reported by several researchers and of course denied by the research of the manufacturing companies.

DP

Also, don???t use artificial sweeteners. Although it???s tempting to use non-caloric artificial sweeteners to replace calorie-containing sugar beware! This is not an example of ???something for nothing??? ??? everything has its price, including artificial sweeteners. These sweeteners found in diet
drinks and diet foods trick the body by providing a very sweet taste without adding calories. Although these sweeteners do not directly cause weight gain, they can secondarily for two reasons. First, these sweeteners are so
sweet that they cause a certain craving for sweet foods. After training our taste buds to a high level of sweetness, other foods pale by comparison and we only tend to be satisfied once this sweet craving is fulfilled by another
sweet. Second, even though artificial sweeteners do not contain calories, they can still promote a release of insulin, which has detrimental effects on our metabolism. This is similar to the ???Pavlov???s dog??? effect, where even the sight, thought, or smell of food is enough to cause the body to begin to salivate, and also to release insulin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about artificial sweeteners and diet soda?

Artificial sweeteners have a cornered edge that resembles a sugar molecule. When the sweetener hits the taste sensor on your tongue, it fools your body into thinking its actually sugar. Your body anticipates this incoming sugar by secreting some insulin. The insulin is secreted to clear the blood of the sugar that it never does receive. This will lower your blood sugar and your brain will start calling out for more food.

DP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Dr. Pain
Second, even though artificial sweeteners do not contain calories, they can still promote a release of insulin, which has detrimental effects on our metabolism. This is similar to the ???Pavlov???s dog??? effect, where even the sight, thought, or smell of food is enough to cause the body to begin to salivate, and also to release insulin.

Am I reading this correctly Doc ?? I though there was no evidence on that effect. Have things changed ?? If so, I'm going to kill myself :(

TJohn

From w8's article!

Here is a partial list of some of the many sugars you can find in "sugar-free" foods. All of these will raise your blood sugar.

carob
honey
saccharose
corn syrup
lactose
sorbitol
dextrin
levulose
sorghum
dextrose
maltose
treacle
dulcitol
mannitol
turbinado
fructose
mannose
xylitol
glucose
molasses
xylose

Most so-called "sugar-free" products were, for many years, full of sugars that may not promote tooth decay but most certainly will raise your blood sugar. If you've been deceived, you're not alone.

TJohn, what have I been telling people for over a year??? :D

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Well FUQ :mad:

Okay....so I was gonna ask for something even more drastic for this cut, but I guess I have my answer huh. I haven't had gum...but I've had sweetners. I might as well cut my &@*%*@$#&%$ coffee now :bawling: :cry: :sob:

I gave you a plan to try things gradually..so that you would know what effect different substances have on you and your metabolism!

I would keep coffee for a while longer....try eliminating gum this week....sweetners the next....and finally the coffee! :D

DP

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't drink coffee w/o the sweetner and I've already dropped the gum :p I only had one piece since you started this crusade :D

Ok Ok !!................ Team DPw8,

So what's the best no calorie sweetener to look for ?? I want to keep my insulin in check, my teeth however are still pretty strong :)

TJohn

From the article

Powdered Artificial Sweeteners
Sweet'n Low, Equal, The Sweet One, Sugar Twin, and similar powdered products in paper packets usually contain about 96 percent glucose and about 4 percent artificial sweetener. They are sold as low-calorie sweeteners because they contain only 1 gram of glucose as compared to 3 grams of sucrose in a similar paper packet labeled "sugar." More suitable for diabetics are tablet sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate, and aspartame (Equal in the United States). Note that the same brand name can denote two different products: Equal is a powder containing 96 percent glucose and also a tablet containing no glucose. Stevia powder and liquid (sold in health food stores) contain no sugar of any kind.

From the article

Powdered Artificial Sweeteners
Sweet'n Low, Equal, The Sweet One, Sugar Twin, and similar powdered products in paper packets usually contain about 96 percent glucose and about 4 percent artificial sweetener. They are sold as low-calorie sweeteners because they contain only 1 gram of glucose as compared to 3 grams of sucrose in a similar paper packet labeled "sugar." More suitable for diabetics are tablet sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate, and aspartame (Equal in the United States). Note that the same brand name can denote two different products: Equal is a powder containing 96 percent glucose and also a tablet containing no glucose. Stevia powder and liquid (sold in health food stores) contain no sugar of any kind.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Alright !!! I'll read

TJohn

I go to the University of Northumbria (where the studies mentioned in the first post are from).

That is all.

Yeah, they do that sometimes.

IML Gear Cream!
Well whaddaya know, W8, i did post in this thread.

I still don't think chewing gum here and there will make any noticable difference.

Yeah, my attention span must be short.

And your new avatar is genius.

Yeah. I like boobs.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Yeah. I like boobs.

Okay....that's the second person who's point out my boobs...it's a tri shot eh? :laugh: LOL

I noticed DP has the same pose(how cute):p

Okay....that's the second person who's point out my boobs...it's a tri shot eh? :laugh: LOL

No, it's a "duo" shot. ;)

Back