• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

ATG Squats

DontStop

pappy
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Abut 3 days ago I preformed a series of ATG squats and my legs/ass are still burning
I'm just going to go over how I did it and perhaps you can critique me?

I put to plates under my feet so i was on the balls of them (feet)
I used a light weight and went down slow and just dropped as low as i can go. Now question i, should i pay attention to where my knees are when I'm doing the squats, because i find it super hard keeping them parrallel to my toes the whole way down, to the point where it'd just be a normal squat

if you elevate your heels, your knees are always going to migrate past your toes.

try and work on flexibility so that you don't need a heel lift.

make sure that your pelvis is neutral when you are in the bottom position. to many people squat ATG just to say they squat ATG. In reality, pelvic position and hip mobility should dicate the depth of your squat.

Thanks funk!
I'll work on form tommorrow!

I find that if I keep a slightly wider than shoulder width stance with my feet, that I have a greater ability to get lower in the squat without compromising my form, ie, my back stays neutral, my knees don't travel too far forward.

you didn't mention your foot spacing, but my guess, and correct me if I am wrong is that you tried doing them with a narrow stance, which makes it necessary for greater mobility in the ankles and hips? Is that correct P?

yea. the closer your stance, the more mobile your ankles will have to be to get into the bottom position.

Alright, I'll try and get my friends from the gym to do a quick clip of me
My forms good in normal squats, I was just confised on the stance i should have with ATG

get 3 views....side, back and front.

here's a pic of me a few months back pre squat

i know i know, i shouldnt have used plates! that problem will b adressed next glute day

MeSquatting.jpg

IML Gear Cream!
My glutes are strong so my weights are generally pretty big. But with a new program starting tomorrow, I'm going to drop the weight quite drastically and work on perfecting my form.

I have a bad habit of looking down when i squat because i hate seeing people watch me do it haha. I'll look up and people are just staring, it creeps me out so i pretend not to look
Also, the weight on the bar can hurn my neck and shoulder some times. I tried holding the bar slightly below my shoulders, but unfortunately, my upper body is week in contrast to my lower

pretty chilly
it's nice when doing cardio

Definitely should look forward not down - like Witch said, looking forward helps with back alignment a lot.

Personally I find my form to be shitty when I look down, but it's spot on when I'm looking forward. Doing them in front of a mirror helps too, my form is great when I can see my every movement.

i like to look from the side to see if I'm parallel

I look up. My legs are always sore for a few days after I do some heavy deep squats.

It seems like people give me looks as well and you never want to look like you're pushing out a huge fart when a cute gal is looking at you, so I'll just find something on a wall, look up, and stare at it.

I put to plates under my feet so i was on the balls of them (feet)

Based on this statement I have a question, do you keep your weight on the balls of your feet throughout the entire lift? If you do, that's a VERY bad thing. Trust me, I've already had one knee surgically repaired from letting the weight get too far forward. I don't wish that kind of misery on anybody.

You weight should be on your heels and you should concentrate on pressing up with just your heels. This will put all the stress on your muscles, not your joints. :thumb:

You weight should be on your heels and you should concentrate on pressing up with just your heels. This will put all the stress on your muscles, not your joints. :thumb:

I was waiting for someone to say that. That is what I do. Make sure your heals or flat.

It look slike hes standing on that board completely. Looking up can put the spine in misalignment too if youre looking at the ceiling and not just a fixed path. I look 'upwards,' in the mirror. Ill use my eyes, not my neck to watch form. Neck stays in a more neutral position.

Hey DS-
do you have a curling cage...er...power cage at your gym? If you do, a suggestion: place the safety bars one notch below the level the bar will be when you are on the bottom of your lift. 2 benefits:
1) obviously the safety portion of it. if you fail out, the bar will stop and you can get out from under it.
2) you can keep your head straight. No need to turn side to side...possibly injuring yourself. In your peripheral vision in the mirror, you will be able to see how far the bar is from the safety bars to know how much deeper you have to come down.

make sense?

Good Suggestion, Im doing ATG's tommorrow, I'll be sure to give it a try!

I disagree with the whole "look up" while squatting thing. Why would you jam your cervical spine into hyperextension? Keep it neutral just like the rest of your spine.

I disagree with the whole "look up" while squatting thing. Why would you jam your cervical spine into hyperextension? Keep it neutral just like the rest of your spine.

Everything in moderation. ;)

When people say "look up" they usually don't mean for you to tilt your head so far back that you're staring at the ceiling. Just a little tilt in the upward direction, the same as you do while performing deadlifts, keeps your spine in alignment and helps prevent back injuries.

I concur.

Tilting the head also alters spinal alignment all the way down to the lumbar spine and can negatively effect pelvic tilt (creating a greater anterior tilt).

Keeping this is straight alignment for the win.

Everything in moderation. ;)

When people say "look up" they usually don't mean for you to tilt your head so far back that you're staring at the ceiling. Just a little tilt in the upward direction, the same as you do while performing deadlifts, keeps your spine in alignment and helps prevent back injuries.

I say look straight ahead, not up at all. You want a neutral spine, not a hyperextended spine.

Furthermore, I have seen it demonstrated that hamstring activity decreases significantly when you jam your cervical spine into hyperextension.

It's just my opinion though; there is certainly the benefit of increasing the activity of your spinal extensors.

Back