25% Off Black Friday Sale

Free-weight calf raises

Rep Points

Free-weight calf raises

My gym doesn’t have a standing calf raise machine, so I do free-weight standing raises by using plates attached to my waist by a weight-belt and chain. Can anybody suggest me a better way to do free-weight standing calf raises?

IM lesbo extraordinaire

Rep Points

can u use the hack squat machine? Leg press. Altho, both involve a bent knee.
    Life is what you make of it, not what it makes you...TAKE CHARGE!

http://www.boners.com/content/791433.1.jpg

Señor Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Does your gym have a smith machine? Shoulder the weight like you would squatting, use a small platform or blocks.

Rep Points

If you have a smith machine, place the bar across your shoulders as you would do with squats. Place a couple of plates (or a 2inch block of wood as I did at my old gym) and put your toes up onto them, with your heels on the ground. Now, keeping your legs straight and back upright, start doing calf raises. With the smith machine steadying the bar, you can focus on the calf. However, watch the weight as too much on the bar, and it'll become too difficult and possibly cause an injury - it got rather tricky for me at about 4 plates a side (the bar wanted to roll abit as if putting it back on the rack etc). It worked nicely for me. Also, if you have a hack-squat machine, face the pad instead of resting your back on it and do calf raises that way. I got great results doing that - especially since the foot pad at the bottom was angled perfectly for my calf's starting position to be fully stretched, before pushing up.

If not, try doing them with dumbells. If balance and weight is an issue, try isolating each calf: holding onto the wall/machine to keep upright and only exercise one calf at a time with a dumbell/plate.

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This thread is a joke so sophisticated none of us got it. Metallibanger, clearly our intellectual superior, thinks the answer to this question is so simple, this thread is in fact an attempt to mock the forum. I mean, it must be, because Metallibanger is stronger, smarter and sexier than all of us.

IM lesbo extraordinaire

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_enough View Post
    can u use the hack squat machine? Leg press. Altho, both involve a bent knee. you could also hold dumbells
    Life is what you make of it, not what it makes you...TAKE CHARGE!

http://www.boners.com/content/791433.1.jpg

Rep Points

I don't have a Hack squat nor a Smith machine. I have a leg press but its structure doesn't allow placing the toes on the lower edge. I used to do dumbbell raises but I've found these to be useless for mass

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Just hold dumbells or a barbell?

Itll work your grip, too.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.