NapsGear.net

Incorporating deadlifts and squats

Rep Points

Incorporating deadlifts and squats

I'm about to start a routine using the P/RR/S principles. My split will either be

Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    off
    Legs
    off
    Back/Bis
    off
    off

or

Chest
    Back
    off
    Legs
    Shoulders/Arms
    off
    off

I want to do both squats and deadlifts on the power week because I know the importance of these two exercises to build mass. How should I incorporate both Squats and Deads into the above splits? Can I do squats and deads both on leg day? Or is that too much? Would it be better to alternate and squat one week then deadlift the next power week? Or should deads be done on back day instead of leg day?

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Do whatever you want. I like to have 2 lower body days. I don't organize my split in body parts.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Well theyre leg exercises, do them on leg day?
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Come at me Bro!

Rep Points

agree above ..i do my DL and squats on leg day

pappy

Rep Points

I usually do my deadlifts on back days as a finishing exercise. Mind you, my goals aren't strength so really, whatever days you feel to be your strangth days

I don't reccomend doing squats and deadlifts on the same day though, as for i find i use my lower back while doing squats too.
    You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.

DP Elite

Rep Points

I prefer a push/pull full body split.... I do deads on pull days, squats on push days

I also put these exercises ahead of everything else and make sure to do them first as they are the most taxing/rewarding

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gazhole View Post
    Well theyre leg exercises, do them on leg day?
    I'm not sure I'd agree that they're leg exercises, though. This label seems to leave so much information out of what they truly are. They use just about every muscle group I can think of, including large recruitment in the legs and back in particular. But labeling them as a 'leg exercise' is a little like saying that tennis is a 'swing exercise' IMHO.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin View Post
    I'm not sure I'd agree that they're leg exercises, though. This label seems to leave so much information out of what they truly are. They use just about every muscle group I can think of, including large recruitment in the legs and back in particular. But labeling them as a 'leg exercise' is a little like saying that tennis is a 'swing exercise' IMHO.
    No, i agree. They are pretty much full body exercises, especially with the basic variations (regular deads, back squat). With that sort of split though, you have to choose where to put them i guess, lol.

I dont think its too out there to say the relevant leg muscles have a large part in the movements though. Ive done deads in the same session as other pulling movements like rows with good results too, but mostly i keep em on leg day when the program is split like that.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Nice.

Rep Points

Squats first on Leg day (Monday), Deads first on back day (Friday) for me.

Works a treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    First one to die, loses.
    www.extremebodybuilding.net

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SamEaston View Post

Works a treat.
    BINGO! We have a winner. These are two HUGE power movements and require all your energy and concentration. That's why I always put them in as the first exercise on their given day. Also, (I'm sticking to my side of this argument), trying to do them both on the same day just doesn't work for me. By the time I'm done with one, there's no way in Hell I have enough energy left to get the full benefit out of the other. For instance; if you do an absolute balls to the wall squat workout, how can you possibly have enough energy left to do justice to three or four working sets of deads? Other people may be able to do it, I can't. I'd rather give my Central Nervous system a couple days to recover and then hit the deads with a full head of steam.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Light weight!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SamEaston View Post

Works a treat.
    I agree 100% with this!

Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

While I think it would be fine when starting out, I think when you get more advanced in the poundages you are using, you might not want to do heavy squats and deads in the same week, now I am talking over a 300 squat for reps and over 350 deadlift for reps.

The best powerlifters usually don't do heavy squats and deads in the same week, and you can't deny they aren't strong.