• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Losing hair while losing weight????

lucifuge

100 Proof Chaos
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
O.K., this concerns a co-worker of mine. The whole conversation started over her telling me that she has been doing an extra 20 minutes of hard cardio in an attempt to boost her immune system and me telling her that was foolish... anyway, I'm beginning to ramble.
Anyway, a couple years ago she got on the Atkins bandwagon and lost ALOT of weight. She went off Atkins and of course gained some back, now she's back on the Atkins kick and has started losing weight again. However, she told me that whenever she starts losing weight, she starts to lose her hair as well.
She's seeing a nutritionist and a dermatologist (apparently she also has skin cancer, I've worked with her for about 7 years and just learned that today) and their answer was 'some people's bodies equate weight loss with hair loss'.
I told her that was one of the most ridiculous statements I had ever heard and that I'd ask some people I consider to be experts about it...

So, what are some opinions about this? Would staying on an Atkins type diet for an extended period cause hair loss? She swears that it has no connection with the skin cancer, it's only when she starts dieting.

I started losing hair when i was bullimic

that in itself speaks volumes because it meant i wasnt getting all the right nutirients.

I brought up the nutrient aspect, but she swears by her new nutritionist, something about 'only using liquid vitamins because your body can't absorb a normal multi"... we disagreed about that as well

I'd check and see if by "dieting" she means "starving herself"

According to her, no...
This is my theory.
Her nutritionist has her taking Biotin in the mornings for her daily vitamins, but since she's following Atkins, she admits to drinking a lot of water daily in an attempt to flush her kidneys. I propose that by taking her 'multi' in the morning she's simply flushing all the nutrients out over the course of the day.
I think she would be better served by taking an actual vitamin at night so her body will actually have time to absorb it.
But, I'm just theorizing...
any thoughts?

According to her, no...
This is my theory.
Her nutritionist has her taking Biotin in the mornings for her daily vitamins, but since she's following Atkins, she admits to drinking a lot of water daily in an attempt to flush her kidneys. I propose that by taking her 'multi' in the morning she's simply flushing all the nutrients out over the course of the day.
I think she would be better served by taking an actual vitamin at night so her body will actually have time to absorb it.
But, I'm just theorizing...
any thoughts?

Beyond that it's clear that her nutritionist isn't giving her adequate advice or providing her with the nutrition her body needs? Not really...

Most nutritionists know fuck all.

Tell her to find a reputable RD - Registered Dietician.

I saw some where some woman was losing her hair due to an appallingly inadequate diet. That was down to vitamin deficiency - one of the 'B' ones, but can't remember which. Sorry.

O.K. hey thanks for all the feedback folks.
I'll pass on the information, especially the dietician. She'll probably jump at that one.
I'll also try to get her to read burn the fat feed the muscle again.
I burned her copy of it about a year ago, but she won't listen when I tell her it's not just for bodybuilders

Nutrition is more then likely the culprit.

However, did she have a baby recently?

Is she on any diet pills?

IML Gear Cream!
no on the baby,
not too certain about the diet pills.
I don't think so though, I'm of the same mind as you in believing it's nutrition.
I missed her today, so I'll try to catch her tomorrow and see if I can get some more information.

O.K., I was wrong, she hadn't left for the day.
I spent the last 45 minutes talking to her and getting some information.
To put it simply... it's a mess.
Here's the breakdown:
by the way, she's in her 40's... she wouldn't tell me her weight but I'm guessing close to 200lbs.

She doesn't take any diet pills, she only takes vitamins
Isotonix powdered vitamins
multi w/ iron
calcium w vitamin d
biotin for hair & nails
fish oil

She works out 5 days a week
an hour of cardio and 15 minutes of weight training

Now here is where the 'debate' started...
Diet
only eats 3 meals a day and she tries to stay under 1000 calories

what she ate today:
breakfast was 2 whole eggs and 2 sausage patties
6 hours later
lunch was a grilled chicken salad
6 hours later dinner will either be a hamburger pattie or grilled chicken breast
and that's it.

We had quite the discussion about this, and I actually thought she was going to cry at one point when I told her that she flat out had to eat more food. I'm not kidding, she looked like she wanted to cry.I gave her the 'cliff's notes' version of the body's starvation response and speeding up the metabolism. The upside is that she finally admitted to not reading the book I gave her, but she also promised me that she would read it by the end of next week.
She hasn't agreed to follow it yet, because she's a frikkin Atkins zealot... but I'm hoping that after she reads it, the simple logic of it will slap her in the face.

Back