• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

"Stavation mode" vs. calories in, calories out

AKIRA

I am Rollo Tomassee..
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ok this is the second time I have wondered about this to help out this...well, second person.

I now know of two women, in their 30s, that eat maybe 2x a day, and are overweight.

Truth is, I can see their jobs being on their feet without a lot of 'down time,' so I I cant see how they ARENT burning more calories than they are taking in, yet they are overweight.

My immediate answer is that their bodies are in starvation mode. However, biologically I cant see this being possible. For instance, if they ate more, theyd lose weight?

They both walk/jog as well.

Please provide me with some education on this cuz they arent buying the "starvation mode" bit and quite frankly, its hard for me as well.

EDIT: Their meals are pretty small. Nothing that would exceed 2000 calories tops.

A good chunk of it is genetics and poor food choices.

They never drink or have cheat meals? Alot of people forget about the intake with this, or how much it works out to be(adds up quickly)

When people eat very little calories on a daily basis, the metabolism slows down. It is a defence mechanism, the body will retain more fat, cause that protects the internal organs, and muscle tissue will be not as important to keep, cause of its caloric requirements.

It isn't as easy as just eating more, and more frequently to correct this. It will come down to how long have they been eating like this. Have they had and blood tests or there thyroid checked? This is something that needs to be gradually addressed.

Really there is no simple solution, it took a long time to get in the position they are in, and will take a while to correct the damage they have done.

That is my understanding at least, hope it makes sense.

People underestimate the amount of energy (calories) in the food they eat and WAY overestimate the amount of calories their activity burns.

Working on your feet for 6 hours (vs sitting) burns the equivalent of 10 potato chips and a coke.

Just a little bit of food is the equivalent of a LOT of activity. Have them count their calories. Then they will start to see where the opportunities lie in their diet.

Of the two that I know, their cheats and activity are as listed:

Woman 1, she hardly ever drinks alcohol (unless I am there), but never drinks water either. She hardly ever eats and I mean ANY food. I dont see snacks, McDonalds, fucking nothing. The only time I saw her eat is when we would go to a restaurant. This woman walked 30 min 3 x a week. Her job had a range of sitting at a desk, walking, going up and down stairs, being stressed. This woman has no kids.

Woman 2, same thing as Woman 1, but she said she does drink wine almost every night. She walks and jogs. Her job hardly asks for her to sit and this is about 8 hours a day. The food Ive seen her eat is a full lunch but her dinner is "small" and her breakfast is "a mug of coffee." She said she used to be anorexic when she was 18. All in all, this one eats and drinks more than Woman 1, yet is smaller than Woman 1.

Its just sort of mind boggling, but thanks Iain. Yes, a lot of that makes sense, but I wish I could give something other than bad news to them.

For what its worth, I just couldnt see how they could maintain their weight, but rather gain or lose weight.

Woman 2, same thing as Woman 1, but she said she does drink wine almost every night. She walks and jogs. Her job hardly asks for her to sit and this is about 8 hours a day. The food Ive seen her eat is a full lunch but her dinner is "small" and her breakfast is "a mug of coffee." She said she used to be anorexic when she was 18. All in all, this one eats and drinks more than Woman 1, yet is smaller than Woman 1.

Its just sort of mind boggling, but thanks Iain. Yes, a lot of that makes sense, but I wish I could give something other than bad news to them.

Metabolic damage from eating disorders doesn't just go away; of course, in this case, it doesn't necessarily seem as though the behaviors are totally gone either.

have them write down exactly what they eat everyday. have them carry around a journal and log everything they eat and drink for a few days and then count their calories. People under-report calories typically by 30%.

Back