• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

The Rise of Dubai

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
The Growth of Dubai - MSN Video

CNBC.gif

The Growth of Dubai
With oil hovering near the $100 mark, the Mideast is fat becoming a major financial center. CNBCs Erin Burnett is in Dubai and takes a look at the countrys incredible growth.

First heard about it from another site, I looked into it and it's pretty amazing what they are doing over there.

1411263479_34ddab3de4.jpg

dubai, 1973
1411263591_86d241fcd3.jpg

dubai, 1990
1411263343_1069f9300b.jpg

news_logo.gif

Dubai's relentless construction boom
By Hannah Hennessy
In Dubai

It is the city of superlatives; a man-made Disney-style creation in the desert, where there's seemingly no such thing as no can do.
Why shouldn't Dubai be home to the Middle East's first indoor ski resort, the world's tallest building, a seven-star hotel in the shape of a giant sail and its first underwater hotel?
These projects - and many more, drizzled by Dubai's voracious public relations industry with epithets such as biggest, best and longest - have either already been built or are under construction in this Arabian kingdom.
Thirty years ago, Dubai was a small fishing port where people came to dive for pearls or trade gold. Now it is one of the fastest-growing cities in the world.
Last year, Dubai's economy grew by almost 17%, four times faster than that of the United States and twice as fast as China's.
Capital gains
So, what is the secret of Dubai's Midas touch?

Most obviously, it's black gold. It has benefited from the biggest boom in oil prices in a generation.
The increase in fuel prices has fuelled a construction frenzy, the like of which most countries in the world have never seen.
Whereas many places have benefited from the growing appetite for oil, nowhere has done so quite like Dubai.
"There's masses of liquidity and it's a tax free environment," explains Brian Scudder of Oryx Real Estate, a company that provides luxury accommodation in areas of Dubai like The Palm, a manmade tree-shaped island in the ocean.
"Dubai isn't hamstrung by the same bureaucratic processes that affect other places.
"The mentality is very ambitious, there is little government intervention and although it's very cut-throat, it's very efficient in getting things done."
Inflation threat
In the last decade, thousands of people have moved to Dubai, drawn by its free market economy and the promise of year-round sunshine.

It has become a regional hub for business as well as tourism, because it is regarded as a safe place for multinational companies to base themselves and be within striking distance of the rest of the Middle East.
But this influx has put pressure on its infrastructure.
One of the frequent complaints of its residents is that the city has grown too big too quickly.
Residents say the roads are almost permanently clogged, and living in Dubai is like living in a giant construction site where cranes provide the backdrop to even the most luxurious hotels and where prices seem to be rising almost as fast as the buildings.
He agrees that Dubai is unique in many ways, but the biggest risk facing it in the future is inflation, according to Damian Harrington, associate director of international commercial real estate firm CBRE.
"It has built up an image of itself as a driving, ambitious centre, where everything is bigger and better than before and providing it is managed successfully, there's no reason why Dubai shouldn't continue this way," he says.
Mr Harrington welcomes a move by authorities to call for a cap on rent rises of 15% a year, after some residents of Dubai have seen their rents rise by up to 50% in the last year alone.
In November, the National Bank of Dubai said it expected inflation to reach a record 15% to 20% this year.
Mr Harrington says this has hurt business morale.
Sustainable growth
But Mr Harrington nevertheless agrees with fellow real estate expert Mr Scudder that Dubai's future is bright.
Both men say it will be several years before supply meets demand, which means the cranes will continue to shape the skyline of this booming city.
And they believe that as long as entrepreneurs and authorities continue to manage the growth of the city properly, Dubai will boom, despite the grumblings of some of its residents.
To this end, Mr Scudder disputes the notion that Dubai has failed to plan for its future.
"People aren't really seeing the benefits that they are going to reap very soon," he says, adding that roads are being widened to cater for increased traffic, while the mass of cranes that pepper the horizon will disappear soon as construction moves away from the centre.
He does not believe that the current building boom is unsustainable. "Dubai has been expanding continuously for 30 years. There has never been a crash here."

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | Business | Dubai's relentless construction boom

Hydropolis in Dubai is the world's first luxury underwater hotel.

In order to enter this surreal space, visitors will begin at the land station. This 120m woven, semicircular cylinder will arch over a multi-storey building.

Fucking amazing you should post this. I have been applying for jobs in Dubai. I want to go over there for a few years, but the government is a little too extreme.

Briton jailed for four years in Dubai after customs find cannabis weighing less than a grain of sugar under his shoe

A father-of-three who was found with a microscopic speck of cannabis stuck to the bottom of one of his shoes has been sentenced to four years in a Dubai prison.

Keith Brown, a council youth development officer, was travelling through the United Arab Emirates on his way back to England when he was stopped as he walked through Dubai's main airport.

A search by customs officials uncovered a speck of cannabis weighing just 0.003g - so small it would be invisible to the naked eye and weighing less than a grain of sugar - on the tread of one of his shoes.

Dubai International Airport is a major hub for the Middle East and thousands of Britons pass through it every year to holiday in the glamorous beach and shopping haven.

But many of those tourists and business travellers are likely to be unaware of the strict zero-tolerance drugs policy in the UAE.

One man has even been jailed for possession of three poppy seeds left over from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow Airport. Painkiller codeine is also banned.

If suspicious of a traveller, customs officials can use high-tech equipment to uncover even the slightest trace of drugs.

Mr Brown was detained and arrested in September last year and has been held in a cell with three other men in the city prison ever since.

This week the youth worker, who has two young children and a partner at home in Smethwick, West Midlands, was sentenced to four years in prison.

A 25-year-old Briton who was found with a similar speck in one pocket as he arrived on holiday has been awaiting sentence since November.

Meanwhile a Big Brother TV executive has so far been held without charge for five days after being arrested for possessing the health supplement melatonin.

The authorities claim to have discovered 0.01g of hashish in his luggage.

Last night Mr Brown's brother Lee said his case "defied belief".

"For that sort of amount common sense should prevail, from where it was found it was obviously something that had been crushed on the floor - it could have come from anywhere."

Rastafarian Mr Brown had been returning from a short trip to Ethiopia, where one of his children lives and where he owns property.

He was travelling with his partner Imani, who was also stopped and detained for more than a week.

Normally he flew direct to and from the UK, but decided to stop off in Dubai.

"He was incensed when he called me," said driving instructor Lee, 57. "It would be funny if the circumstances weren't so unpleasant.

"Bugs are crawling out of his mattress when he's sleeping. His family are frantic with worry and can't call him."

Last night campaign group Fair Trials International advised visitors to Dubai and Abu Dhabi to "take extreme caution".

Chief Executive Catherine Wolthuizen said: "We have seen a steep increase in such cases over the last 18 months.

"Customs authorities are using highly sensitive new equipment to conduct extremely thorough searches on travellers and if they find any amount - no matter how minute - it will be enough to attract a mandatory four-year prison sentence."

Mrs Wolthuizen added: "We even have reports of the imprisonment of a Swiss man for 'possession' of three poppy seeds on his clothing after he ate a bread roll at Heathrow.

"What many travellers may not realise is that they can be deemed to be in possession of such banned substances if they can be detected in their urine or bloodstream, or even in tiny, trace amounts on their person."

Only two months after Mr Brown was stopped economics graduate Robert Dalton was detained in almost identical circumstances.

Mr Dalton, from Gravesend, on Kent was with two friends when he was stopped and asked to empty his pockets.

Officials found 0.03g of cannabis in a small amount of fluff. He is currently on trial and if convicted, is likely receive a four-year prison sentence.

Last night his brother Peter, 26, told how it took 24 hours to find out why he had been stopped.

"As we understand, the amount of cannabis was barely visible to the human eye and was at the bottom of the pocket of an old pair of jeans.

"He's not a drug user, but he goes clubbing and the speck was so small."

Last week Cat Le-Huy, a London-based German national, was arrested on arrival at the airport.

Mr Le-Huy, 31, head of technology with Big Brother production company Endemol, was arrested on suspicion of possessing illegal drugs after customs officers found melatonin, a health supplement used for jet lag available over the counter both in Dubai and in the US.

Authorities also claim they discovered fragments in one of his bags which they believe to be hashish. Fair Trials International said the amount was 0.01g.

IML Gear Cream!
Yeah I was watching some program on PBS about Dubai. Crazy amazing.

Fucking amazing you should post this. I have been applying for jobs in Dubai. I want to go over there for a few years, but the government is a little too extreme.
I don't want to sound like a worry wart but after seeing that guy (Berg?) being beheaded I would hate to see a good guy go there.

Just make sure you buy all new clothes before going to Dubai I guess :)

Personally I thought Dubai was a shithole, it smells, the people smell, it's unbearably hot and even though I met some cool younger dudes most of the people have an Anti-American attitude and there are no hot women to gaze upon....

The architecture in Dubai is amazing. My Kuwaiti friends have been wanting me to go with them (they have been several times), though they warn the culture is incredibly different over there and that you should not plan on going there for women because it won't happen. It is also very expensive.

Kelju

Please provide a link for your article on the Briton caught at the airport.

Thanks.

I just got back from Dubai....here are some photos from last month:
Here is a model of the Palm Jumera at Nahkeel Head Quarters (they are one of the big firms construction companies there)
s22910399_36562807_1003.jpg

The actual ground level photos of the Palm Jumera...there is still a lot of work to be done
s22910399_36562808_1995.jpg

Burj Dubai (worlds tallest building....I must say it didn't look that tall b/c its so damn skinny. I'm more impressed with the Sears Tower, but thats my hometown)
n22910399_36562918_9839.jpg

My hotel view at Dubai World Trade Center looking at the Dubai Finance Towers
photo.php

n22910399_36563029_9305.jpg

The whole city is built with equipment from IL:
n22910399_36563026_6912.jpg

Ski Dubai (man made indoor ski hill in the worlds hottest environment)
photo.php

n27421529_36542098_1336.jpg

Desert excursion
photo.php

Last edited by a moderator:
IML Gear Cream!
EDIT BY DOMS: You screwed up some of the links and you're limited to 10 images per post. You had 13, so I'm putting three of them here.

Don't ask me why half the photos I posted didn't come out...you can PM me and I'll give you my name on FB if you really want to see.

Burj Al Arab (worlds only 7star hotel)
n27421529_36542137_3054.jpg

Emirates palace in Abu Dhabi
n27421529_36542126_9574.jpg

GM's corporate office view
n27421529_36542112_5371.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nor do I know why the first two photos are all mini sized :(

Here is a short narrative of my travels there posted on a site I mod at...itsallpolitics.com (sorry prince...shameless plug)

IAP 2.0 Members Photo Thread!

Here is the link to my pics...as requested by Jericoacoara, aka Fort, here's a little description of my trip:

I hoped on a 13 hour flight from Atlanta to Dubai on the 1st of January when I had only got 3 hours of drunken sleep. I had stayed out all night on New Year's eve and had an early morning flight to catch from Chicago to Atlanta. I felt AWFUL. It was pretty much the one of the worst flights I've ever taken. I only stood up once during the entire flight to use the bathroom. Its the first time in my life my feet actually swelled up and I had difficulties putting on my shoes when we landed
sad.gif
The Int'l airport in Dubai was the nicest airport I've ever seen. My time in customs took about 30seconds in Dubai. I then went to my hotel, Novotel, and the World Trade Center in Dubai. We did some touristy things like seeing the Burj Al Arab, Burj Dubai, Dubai shopping centers (which were like 5th Ave. in NY city). The cost of things was comparable to NY city or San Francisco. Pretty expensive costs on things, but it wasn't too extreme. We (my group of students from Thunderbird School of Global Management) met with several companies and gov't officials gathering data and making contacts for research and future employment. We had a change to meet a rep from the Dubai Department of Economic Development. He was western educated and well spoken, but he was a politician nonetheless. He only spoke of positive things. When we asked him what type of obstacles that faced Dubai and its exploding growth he replied, "There are none"
grin.gif

I'm sure most of you know the current state of Dubai and its role in the int'l community. Its becoming the worlds tourist destination for the upper class...and its moving FAST. Everyone I spoke with including taxis and fast food cashiers spoke English well. Most of our time was in the business districts and free trade zones where companies don't have to pay any type of tax. I know that Americans who work over there do not have to pay income tax either if they make under 87,000USD a year. Its very common for employers to offer Americans a salary of 86,999USD with 100% medical, housing and transportation allowance, and a few free trips back to the states. We spent days with Dubai Ports World (the company that acquired US ports and was forced to sell them off thanks to the US gov't) Jay McDermott, GM, and some other non fortune 500s.

The Emirs of Dubai knew the city's future did not lie with oil (they are actually supposed to run out in 5-10 years); therefore, a different method of national income and imports were needed. The vision was to increase tourism. Tourism is big with large amounts of coastline so the Emir's have decided to double the countries coastline from 70km to 140km. Hence these INCREDIBLE land reclamation projects:
Dubai Invests In Artificial Resort Islands
UnderwaterTimes | Dubai's Man-Made Palm Island Being Readied for Residents; Largest Land-Reclamation Project in the World
Masterplan-of-Dubai.png

MEGAblog: manmade landscapes in Dubai

Some obstacles facing Dubai:
-There are still partnership requirements for foreign companies
-90% of the country are not citizens
-app. 60% of the countries growth is financed by debt (US and British banks)
-possible instability with Iran and the West which would limit tourism
-high rate of inflation
-Dihram currency pegged to US dollar which lowers the nations purchasing power; however, it does make it more attractive for European tourists

I am currently pursuing some career opportunities and internships in Dubai. I would love to relocate there. Its safe, clean, new, and family friendly. I'm sure the GF (soon to be fiance, but don't tell her...ssshhhh) would have no problem relocating there. Everyone I met was very friendly and tourist shopkeepers were not too pushy. I understand the Dubai isn't representative of the ME as whole, but its a great place to be for Westerns who want to experience the ME before they total immerse themselves in non western like state such as KSA, Jordan etc.

I was fortunate enough to miss President Bush's time in the UAE. He was in Abu Dhabi at the time I was in Dubai (neighboring Emirate/city state). That wasn't the case in Egypt though. I'll make a post later about my time in Egypt.

Whats funny is driving from like Jebel Ali to Dubai theres practically nothing but all of the sudden in the middle of no where they have these ridiculous roundabouts...

Thank you Invanry, Our Own Correspondent from Budai.

And now for the local news we a chance of rain and a bit of the homo from the town of Clemson.

Whats funny is driving from like Jebel Ali to Dubai theres practically nothing but all of the sudden in the middle of no where they have these ridiculous roundabouts...

Tell the truth. You ingested vast quantities of Peyote and ether and imagined the whole thing. You've never even been to Dubai, when it wears off, you'll realise that you are at home crashed on the couch....

The architecture in Dubai is amazing. My Kuwaiti friends have been wanting me to go with them (they have been several times), though they warn the culture is incredibly different over there and that you should not plan on going there for women because it won't happen. It is also very expensive.

Lol, it was my Kuwaiti friend who got me interested also.

Its tough to snag a muslim chick, but there tons of western women over there on vacation.

Back