Back Pain in Bill Starr's 5x5 Program

Back Pain in Bill Starr's 5x5 Program

I'm currently about to start week 4 in Bill Starr's 5x5 and my back pain from about 8 months ago has been re-aggrivated due to something unrelated to weight lifting or the actual lifts I am doing.

I was unable to do a single rep of deadlifts on wed. then on friday I couldn't get one rep on the squat, though I could still row and press. I was wondering what I should do if anyone has any advice for me here. The best solution I can think of is just waiting for the pain to go away then start the program over. I was told this pain will always be on and off for the rest of my life I beleive its a torn muscle near my left hip joint.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Does it seem to be related to those lifts in particular? Is there any alternative you can do where you take the load off your spine, at least to some degree, and it doesn't hurt?

Try stability ball leg curls, glute ham raises, hypers/1-leg hypers, 1-leg squats, various other 1-leg movements, etc.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

No I don't think the pain and the lifts are related but yesterday I was able to do my squats and no pain was present I think its just something thats gonna flare up every now and then and I'll just have to replace some lifts with stuff like what you said whenever it flares up.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Ditch back squats and deadlifts.

Unilateral variations and front squats are better for you.

I understand what front squats are, but can you give some examples of what "unilateral variations" are? I probably know some-what of what they are I've just never heard unilateral variation.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ptwannabe View Post
    I understand what front squats are, but can you give some examples of what "unilateral variations" are? I probably know some-what of what they are I've just never heard unilateral variation.
    That just means 1-leg movements. Do 1-leg RDLs, lunges, split squats, bulgarian squats, etc.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos