• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Stubborngrl's Powerlifting Journey

stubborngrl

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by!

I enjoy heavy lifting, and after some thought, decided to go for a powerlifting competition at some point this year. The idea of an on-line journal appeals to me, to see how I am progressing, and to get feedback from people.

I am currently on a program called Westside, and my 1 rep max effort lifts are as follows:

bench-115 lbs
squat-200 lbs
deadlifts-235 lbs

Did i mention I am 5'0, 113 lbs????

Any advice and encouragement is very welcome, and I hope you follow along :)

Dynamic Effort-Squat/DL -Week 4

Speed Box Squats
10x2 (75 lbs)

Sumo Deads
4x6 (135 lbs)

Reverse Hyperextensions
4x8 (20 lbs)

Weighted Laying Leg Raises
3x10 (15 lbs)

20 minutes treadmill

I am not a big fan of "speed" days, the weights always seem light, and I am scared when I try for my 1 rm, all the time off from doing them will result in lower numbers. I know I am working "weak" points right now ( weak points include hips flexors, triceps, and leg drive for deads) but, the first few weks on this program was attempting 1 rep maxes, and now I feel lost not doing them..

Oh well, not a bad workout!

hi, welcome to IM :)

im not big into PL but i will follow along

Not big into powerlifting myself but I'm on board too. Good luck and eat big girl!

Not big into powerlifting myself but I'm on board too. Good luck and eat big girl!

thanks..part of the reason I chose pl'ing ( I was a fitness competitor) is because I do get to eat (though I want to be in the 50 kg weight class, so I do have to be careful)

Hi stubborn, welcome to IM. I'm into PL training and very familiar with Westside, so I'll follow along and hopefully give you some worthwhile input along the way. You have a good solid strength base to work with. How long since you switched over to PL training, and how long with the Westside method?

Eat clean you ok. How othen do you workout?

Hi stubborn, welcome to IM. I'm into PL training and very familiar with Westside, so I'll follow along and hopefully give you some worthwhile input along the way. You have a good solid strength base to work with. How long since you switched over to PL training, and how long with the Westside method?
I have been PL training for..maybe one full year (much time taken off for a more bb/fitness friendly program)
I have been on westside for 5 weeks...first 3 was basically testing out maxes and finding sticky points..
Eat clean you ok. How othen do you workout?

I eat clean..most of the time ;)
I workout 4 days/week....will be adding some "recovery days" once my body stops hurting so much..

Dynamic Effort-Squat/DL -Week 4

I am not a big fan of "speed" days, the weights always seem light, and I am scared when I try for my 1 rm, all the time off from doing them will result in lower numbers. I know I am working "weak" points right now ( weak points include hips flexors, triceps, and leg drive for deads) but, the first few weks on this program was attempting 1 rep maxes, and now I feel lost not doing them..

I'm assuming you're doing the typical Westside split of:

Day 1: Max Effort Upper
Day 2: Max Effort Lower
Day 3: Dynamic Effort Upper
Day 4: Dynamic Effort Lower

If so, you should be hitting those ME days pretty heavy, which hopefully satisfies your craving for 1RM work. Besides, once you get a bit further along with Westside, your body will thank you for those "light" DE days as there's no way you can hit body parts heavy twice a week (I learned this the hard way) over an extended period of time. Also, you can certainly hit your assistance work heavy on DE days, for example I do heavy shoulder presses regularly after speed bench on DE Upper days. Yes, it does suck to spend a lot of time pressing 50% of your max, but it's worked for many guys much stronger than us.

IML Gear Cream!
I'm assuming your doing the typical Westside split of:

Day 1: Max Effort Upper
Day 2: Max Effort Lower
Day 3: Dynamic Effort Upper
Day 4: Dynamic Effort Lower

If so, you should be hitting those ME days pretty heavy, which hopefully satisfies your craving for 1RM work. Besides, once you get a bit further along with Westside, your body will thank you for those "light" DE days as there's no way you can hit body parts heavy twice a week (I learned this the hard way) over an extended period of time. Also, you can certainly hit your assistance work heavy on DE days, for example I do heavy shoulder presses regularly after speed bench on DE Upper days.

yes, that is my lay-out :)

My new ME days are new excercises (this week) which I have never done before, so they are perhaps not as heavy as they should be (rack pulls on ME squat day, and Wide Grip Bench on ME bench day)

I try to max out on assitance work, but will admit I do have a hard time adjusting my thought process around going "light and speedy" on DE days...

OK, I see. It'll take a couple of weeks to adjust to your new stuff. I really enjoy rack pulls. I'll follow along and see how things progress for you. Just give it some time, it is quite a different mentality than the typical bb/fitness program and can seem boring at times until you really have some PR's to work at beating.

OK, I see. It'll take a couple of weeks to adjust to your new stuff. I really enjoy rack pulls. I'll follow along and see how things progress for you. Just give it some time, it is quite a different mentality than the typical bb/fitness program and can seem boring at times until you really have some PR's to work at beating.

I am slowly learning that it is a different mentality, just might take me some time...
rack pulls are good, though I do feel like an idiot doing them at my gym :( putting 255 lbs on the bar at my size and then pulling it such a short way looks a bit funny I imagine..

Last edited:
I am slowly learning that it is a different mentality, just might take me some time...
rack pulls are good, though I do feel like an idiot doing them at my gym :( putting 255 lbs on the bar at my size and then pulling it such a short way looks a bit funny I imagine..

Well most people in a commercial gym don't understand most of what powerlifting training is about, but just remember that those that do are going to be terribly impressed when they see you pulling 255. Heck, I'm impressed anytime I see a female pulling or free squatting any amount of weight in a commercial gym, it's just so rare.

Well most people in a commercial gym don't understand most of what powerlifting training is about, but just remember that those that do are going to be terribly impressed when they see you pulling 255. Heck, I'm impressed anytime I see a female pulling or free squatting any amount of weight in a commercial gym, it's just so rare.

So true...

A lot of the girls I know will do all sorts of running/abs but will avoid weights like the plague.

Not only am I impressed by girls who go that extra distance in the gym, but its attractive to me.

It may look funny now, but when those rack pulls your doing help you progress to the point where you're putting the majority of men to shame, you'll be looking awesome.

DLDave has already checked in, but you should also check the journals of PeteTheGreek and soxmuscle.
thanks so much, I definitly will :)
LOL, I am impressed when I see a GUY deadlifting or squatting (properly) at the gym..nevermind a female..though I have seen some squatting some impressive weight once upon a time..I have heard a billion times "heavy lifting will make me look like a man so, you do not see it very often!
I looked for a pl gym in my area but there wasn't any :(
So true...

A lot of the girls I know will do all sorts of running/abs but will avoid weights like the plague.

Not only am I impressed by girls who go that extra distance in the gym, but its attractive to me.
yes, my gym is full of them..I can count on one hand the number who actually lift hevy, and they are mostly figure/fitness competitors, you can always tell who competes at the gym...
I think honestly, I scare most men at my gym..lol
It may look funny now, but when those rack pulls your doing help you progress to the point where you're putting the majority of men to shame, you'll be looking awesome.
actually that has happened....haha...

Off-Topic
Supposed to be an ME night tonight, but I have a trouble getting spotters, my normal spotter will not be there, and the last time I asked a stranger to spot me, he ended up lifting most of the weight for me, making it a lighter lift then it should have been....most of the women I know at the gym, well I am not 100% sure they could effectively spot me, I just hope someone is there to help :)

thanks for coming by..:)

and if anyone has ever been to a PL meet, it would be great to hear about your experiences/reactions to it..thanks.

Hi Stubborn! :wave:

Glad to see another gal here! You went from fitness to PL - wow, that's a big change. What made you decide to start PL???

IML Gear Cream!
Hi Stubborn! :wave:

Glad to see another gal here! You went from fitness to PL - wow, that's a big change. What made you decide to start PL???

HI, thanks for coming by :)

well, my favorite part of getting ready for the fitness comp was the bulking part (lifting heavy and eating) I hated the dieting, the cardio and the lighter lifting when getting closer to the comp :(
Even though I placed first, I hated being judged on the way I looked, and it is such a subjective judging process, that sometimes no matter what you look like, well, if one judge doesn't like it, well, then your hard work goes for naught...

I like pl'ing becasue I like heavier lifting, I like to eat, and I find for my body..I maintain (or lose) weight while maintaining mass..

oh, and if you lift the weight, then you do...if you don't you don't..it does not matter how small your butt is...lol

anyhow, you look great. do you compete?

Thanks! Haven't competed.. the thought went through my mind last year for a bit and I even considered it... I have the same thoughts as you mentioned though, and have heard comments from some of the competitors of the trash talk behind the stage.... "your not going to place because you don't work with such & such trainer" etc... It's just not worth it for me.

Good luck with the PL.. I'll be excited to see how your progress!

Thanks! Haven't competed.. the thought went through my mind last year for a bit and I even considered it... I have the same thoughts as you mentioned though, and have heard comments from some of the competitors of the trash talk behind the stage.... "your not going to place because you don't work with such & such trainer" etc... It's just not worth it for me.

Good luck with the PL.. I'll be excited to see how your progress!

Yes, it is kinda nasty backstage, you know how woman look you up and down?? imagine that 100x worse...everyone is comparing themselves against others, and it is hard..
I did it becasue I wanted to prove to myself that I could,but the whole process really plays with your head, so if you ever do decide to do it, make sure you have good reasons why, and really will be happy with the fact that you accomplished it, as opposed to the fact that you place (or don't)

p.s) I had NO trainer....so, screw those girls, lol...

and thanks..I think I may do my meet in early may, and I think my lifts are currently competitive, but I may wait a bit as I would be better to be in a lower weigh class I think...

Welcome to IM!

Fitness to PL? Interesting. Can't wait to see how you do. :thumb:

Off-Topic
Supposed to be an ME night tonight, but I have a trouble getting spotters, my normal spotter will not be there, and the last time I asked a stranger to spot me, he ended up lifting most of the weight for me, making it a lighter lift then it should have been....most of the women I know at the gym, well I am not 100% sure they could effectively spot me, I just hope someone is there to help :)

thanks for coming by..:)

and if anyone has ever been to a PL meet, it would be great to hear about your experiences/reactions to it..thanks.

As I have only recently started lifting with a dedicated group, I can very much relate to having to rely on strangers for a spot. You have to be very specific with them before your set, tell them exactly when to touch the bar, when not to touch it, etc. I'm sure part of what you have to face is the fact that most men probably doubt your ability or haven't really spotted for a woman before, so giving them specific instructions will let them know you know what you're doing. If all else fails, throw a flat bench into a power rack and set the safety pins to act as a spotter.

And regarding your last question, I'm working towards my first meet in mid-April, so I'll be posting training stuff in my log as I get close and meet-specific stuff as well. It's an equipped meet, which is where my training is currently focused as the gear is pretty new for me.

Welcome to IM!

Fitness to PL? Interesting. Can't wait to see how you do. :thumb:
yep..a strange jump I know,
fellow irishman???
As I have only recently started lifting with a dedicated group, I can very much relate to having to rely on strangers for a spot. You have to be very specific with them before your set, tell them exactly when to touch the bar, when not to touch it, etc. I'm sure part of what you have to face is the fact that most men probably doubt your ability or haven't really spotted for a woman before, so giving them specific instructions will let them know you know what you're doing. If all else fails, throw a flat bench into a power rack and set the safety pins to act as a spotter.

And regarding your last question, I'm working towards my first meet in mid-April, so I'll be posting training stuff in my log as I get close and meet-specific stuff as well. It's an equipped meet, which is where my training is currently focused as the gear is pretty new for me.

It is hard, to be specific "don't touch the dam bar unless I LOOK like i am struggling" lol, but yes, I think a male spotter would jump in too quick, and a female may not be as helpful..who knows...it is higher rep (2x6) wide grip bench, so maybe it won't be too bad tonight...

what association are you going through?? were you raw before and are now competing equipped??? what are you shotting for lift wise?? do you have a specific number in your head as you train, or do you do what "feels" right at the meet??

Ah, truly a fellow countryman...um...countrywoman...uh...countryperson....um...drinker. There we go. :thumb:

yep..a strange jump I know,
fellow irishman???

It is hard, to be specific "don't touch the dam bar unless I LOOK like i am struggling" lol, but yes, I think a male spotter would jump in too quick, and a female may not be as helpful..who knows...it is higher rep (2x6) wide grip bench, so maybe it won't be too bad tonight...

what association are you going through?? were you raw before and are now competing equipped??? what are you shotting for lift wise?? do you have a specific number in your head as you train, or do you do what "feels" right at the meet??

This specific meet is IPA, which is one of the more popular around here. Westside Barbell (of Westside fame) is 15 minutes from me, so geared competitions are the most popular locally. I have always trained raw as I didn't have firm plans to compete, so my biggest issue right now is learning the equipment. For the next month and a half, I will be working in the gear to learn the different grooves and also work to identify opening weights. For a first meet, I'm mainly concerned with hitting the opening weight, so I'll be conservative there. I'd like to get to a 1700 total, which should be reachable just based on my raw lifts and add a few pounds with the supportive gear. My best raw lifts would give me around a 1600 total. Something like a 600+ squat, ~500 bench, 550+ deadlift in gear should be feasible. But I'll be happy with a first meet in which I hit the opener for all 3 lifts, even if that means a lower total, as I just want a baseline to work to improve for the next one.

On your spot, just tell them to not touch the bar unless it's going back down or stuck for x number of seconds. You shouldn't be doing any crazy weights with that rep scheme, so hopefully it's a slower speed going down that you can maintain if you lose it rather than crashing onto your chest and stapling to the bench. And if that happens, honestly the weight isn't crazy heavy anyways , so I don't think it would hurt too bad, although I'm sure 100 lbs of bar weight feels very differently on your chest than mine :)

Back