• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

need help after back surgery!

k-lock

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first thread. anyways, i was browsing through some Q&A'S about back surgery and trying to get back into the weight room and i couldn't quite find the answers i needed, so i thought i would just ask.
I recently underwent a microdiscectomy om my L5-S1 in my lower back and I am about 5 weeks out of surgery now. Feeling pretty good, except for some numb sensations still in my left leg, and some aches in my lower back which i would assume is probably normal, right?
Before this all went down i was really into weightlifting and bodybuilding and was looking and feeling pretty good. Then i just got to the point where i couldn't even hardly walk anymore! unbearable pains!
I am 24 year old male, about 5'10" and weighing about 185 now after the downtime from my back injury and surgery, feeling pretty flabby, loose, soft, weak, and just plain out of shape now. i would really like to get back into the weight room and start pump'n iron again, and i think its time! but, out of fear of reinjuring myself, i need some guideance, as in what type of exercises i should be doing to strengthen my back and core up again so that i may gradually get back into some heavier weights and try and build myself back up to the lean 205 lbs i was before this went down!
Can anyone help me out with a list of some good exercises and lifts to do to get me back on track, and, am i rushing into this to quickly or not?

I had some back issues, I herniated my S1/L5 but I did not have surgery, I don't think you want to be weight lifting 5 weeks out of surgery, the disc has to rebuild the outer layer and I believe the full recovery is a few months...what did your surgeon say?

Thanx for the reply,
well, the surgeon said about 6-8 weeks usually to full recovery. I actually went to the gym yesterday for the first time since early december last year. I know that I probably should'nt go straight back to weights, so I did some core work such as push ups 4 of 25 while tightening my abs, knee lifts 4 of 20, low back extensions with just bodyweight 4 of 10, standing deep squats with just body weight 4 of 15 while keeping core muscles focused and tight, and ab crunches on a machine 4 of 20 with jus 20lbs on the rack. I didn't feel realy any pain in my lower back so I assumed they would be ok to do to kind of start tightening those muscles up gradually again. I then proceeded to do 20 min on a stationary bike and then 20 min on an eliptical machine. I am sore as hell today cause I have pretty much been down, with no activity, since early december ya know!
Do you think these exercises are ok to do to start with, or could they potentially be bad!?
I personally feel like my body is ready to start again, VERY SLOW OF COURSE, with just some exercises like these with just my body weight or very light (10-20lbs) of weight.
any recomendations on any other exercises like these or some kind of program that I can do to be ready for free weights again!

any one else have this type of problem? anyone got any suggestions?

i have a microdiscoctomy. had my surgery 1-9-08. had theropy for 3 weeks. done alot of ab work and some lower back work from a mat. it taked 12 weeks for the muscle tissue to heal from what the dr told me. i'am trying to get back my self.

i have a microdiscoctomy. had my surgery 1-9-08. had theropy for 3 weeks. done alot of ab work and some lower back work from a mat. it taked 12 weeks for the muscle tissue to heal from what the dr told me. i'am trying to get back my self.

yeah, i had mine on 1-30-08. wat kind of mat work they have you do? nobody givin me therapy, so i figure im gonna have to do it myself.

if the surgeon said wait 6-8 weeks...wait 6-8 weeks! better to be safe than sorry. But i say keep doing those bodyweight squats and back extensions to strengthen those muscles again and you will be ready for the gym when fully recovered :D

alot of stretching for the first couple of weeks. like laying on your back and pulling one leg at a time to your chest. laying on your chest with 2 pillows under you hips and lifting your leggs 4 inches off of the ground one at a time like a swimming motion and was the only lower back one for the first couple of weeks.to stretch the lower back lay on the ground face first proping your whest off the ground with your elbows. do all these 3 times a day. thats what they gave me to do at first. for the 3rd week they added a dynamic lumbar stabilization program

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first thread. anyways, i was browsing through some Q&A'S about back surgery and trying to get back into the weight room and i couldn't quite find the answers i needed, so i thought i would just ask.
I recently underwent a microdiscectomy om my L5-S1 in my lower back and I am about 5 weeks out of surgery now. Feeling pretty good, except for some numb sensations still in my left leg, and some aches in my lower back which i would assume is probably normal, right?
Before this all went down i was really into weightlifting and bodybuilding and was looking and feeling pretty good. Then i just got to the point where i couldn't even hardly walk anymore! unbearable pains!
I am 24 year old male, about 5'10" and weighing about 185 now after the downtime from my back injury and surgery, feeling pretty flabby, loose, soft, weak, and just plain out of shape now. i would really like to get back into the weight room and start pump'n iron again, and i think its time! but, out of fear of reinjuring myself, i need some guideance, as in what type of exercises i should be doing to strengthen my back and core up again so that i may gradually get back into some heavier weights and try and build myself back up to the lean 205 lbs i was before this went down!
Can anyone help me out with a list of some good exercises and lifts to do to get me back on track, and, am i rushing into this to quickly or not?

You wont be heavy liftin for prolly a good 4 months...after 2 youll get into light stuff...but you wanna take advantage of a physical therapist for the build up time...its better for your future that way....oh yeh if it makes you feel better...most the time the women are pretty hot in that field....have fun.

bump

Back