• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

how heavy?

wnkwink

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all, in the thread on 10 things to consider to gain lean muscle with this quote
"Using an appropriate weight, you should only be able to do 4-8 reps"

Does that mean i pick the weight where l can only manage to get 4-8 reps complete and stick to that weight for my 3-4 sets? So i guess the right time to increase the weight is when l actually can complete 3-4 sets without someone spotting me? l believe 4-8reps are meant for big body part like the chest and back, with arms, do l follow the same routine of lifting heavy that would require some spotting. With small muscle group, l should just stick to 10 reps?

Thank you and looking forward to your feedbacks.

:thumb:

Its all just a guideline.

For whatever rep range you should be able to complete all sets and reps at a weight that doesnt take you to concentric failure. So you shouldnt technically NEED a spot unless you're trying for a PR.

You're right about isolations, you shouldnt really go into the heavier rep ranges for them like you would with compound movements. I stick to 14+ reps for isolations.

Isolation rep range?

I stick to 14+ reps for isolations.

I am confused, Gaz.

I was under the impression that one is to exceed 12 reps only for warm-up sets (exception: squats).

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that doing too may reps - say of barbell curls - will result in a great pump due to lactic acid buildup but won't contribute much to adding muscle mass.

Regards,
Bar

I am confused, Gaz.

I was under the impression that one is to exceed 12 reps only for warm-up sets (exception: squats).

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that doing too may reps - say of barbell curls - will result in a great pump due to lactic acid buildup but won't contribute much to adding muscle mass.

Regards,
Bar

Theyre isolation exercises, how much mass are you expecting to build from a single joint movement?

Its precisely because isolations are single joint that you shouldnt do them particularly heavy, it puts too much stress on that joint and wastes energy on a movement that isnt really going to do much for you anyway.

Also the pump is to do with blood going to the muscle rather than lactic acid buildup.

The exact rep range all depends on the program you are using. I dont see any problem with using high reps on any movement, i've done it before to good effect on my compound movements. You cant go heavy all the time.

I hear that working in the rep range of 1-15 is pretty fucking good for growing and getting strong.

Some exercises are better for the lower rep range, and other are better for the higher rep ranges. Still others fall somewhere in the middle (and can even be some of the exercises that work in the lower and/or upper range).

Put together a program that encompasses several ranges depending on goals and exercises being used.

I'm pretty sure if you stop worrying about setting up the perfect program or finding the perfect rep range, you will grow just fine. The first step is getting in the gym and trying to put weight on the bar. Next week...try and little harder.

i like low reps for size i ususaly do 6 but for more cuts i go to 12 the low reps make the mussle more thicker than high reps do

Back